Pet Cremation in Chiang Mai

el jefe

The small animal hospital (Chiang Mai University) did for my dog and return me the ashes. Some people and vets speak a decent english.

When they return you the ashes some bones still not in ashes condition. Be prepared to that vision as the ashes box is in transparent plastic.

I don't want to derail the thread, but any reason why you don't just bury pets in the backyard when they die?

try digging up a yard,i wouldn't want my boy to be buried in the garden so all the worms can feast on him.he will be cremated and his ashes will take pride of place in our[his] home.but my wish is I go before him.

• Like 1

What's "a foster" dog as opposed to one's pet?

A side topic but sure wish these cremetoriums would incinerate to a proper 2,000 degrees so only ashes are produced and second, no air pollution..

Incomplete combustion equals air pollution. Poor regulation and lack of enforcement of these incinerators causes problems..

CB

Edited by cardinalblue

A side topic but sure wish these cremetoriums would incinerate to a proper 2,000 degrees so only ashes are produced and second, no air pollution..

Incomplete combustion equals air pollution. Poor regulation and lack of enforcement of these incinerators causes problems..

CB

Foster dogs are like foster children. While the hope is that fostering is permanent, usually that is not the case. The biggest difference is that I don't get paid to foster my dogs. They also have more legs than kids but not always 4. My travel schedule makes it difficult to have a permanent pet. Fostering allows me to have a dog whenever I'm in the Thailand or the US. I haven't tried to foster dogs anywhere else, though I'm sure it's possible. Some of my foster dogs have been with me for as little as a week, most stay with me for 3-5 months, one I've had for 4 years whenever I'm in Thailand. If I have them long enough, they're no different than a pet and I think of them that way.

Usually I take in shy dogs that need socialization to make them adoptable, or dogs with medical conditions that need regular treatment, freeing up time for the shelter staff. My dogs all come from Care For Dogs, a registered Thai Foundation. More info here:

http://www.carefordogs.org/

www.facebook.com/street.dog.rescue

To UG - I know you're a cat person so you don't understand dogs. If I bury my dog in my backyard, I'm sure one of my other 3 dogs will dig her up. I've watched as 3 dogs have worked together taking turns digging a deeper and deeper hole.

I love dogs as much as cats. In fact, we just had one die recently that stayed with us for many years. I was really sad, but she was very old and all the neighbors loved her and fed her their leftovers, so she had it pretty good for a stray mutt.

I am one of those people that thinks it does not matter what happens to your body after you die, so we bury our animals after they pass away and don't worry about any indignities, but I can understand that other people might not feel that way.

• Like 2

I don't want to derail the thread, but any reason why you don't just bury pets in the backyard when they die?

try digging up a yard,i wouldn't want my boy to be buried in the garden so all the worms can feast on him.he will be cremated and his ashes will take pride of place in our[his] home.but my wish is I go before him.

Only one of our dogs has died so far. Fortunately he died in the wet season, so burying a GSD in the orchard was easy. When my youngest son who never met him asks where "Rasso" is, I point to the trees around his grave and tell him, "he helped the trees grow".

• Like 2

CB

ours will go to the temple.

• 3 years later...

I have to put my 13 year old retriever to sleep today, wife has gone out and left it to me.

I was wondering if Ban Mha Ka clinic will take her away for cremation?, I can't take her to the hospital she is to big for me to handle alone, Doctors have been to see her 4 times now and give her shots of one kind or another, but she howls all night and day and cannot move, so sadly I don't see an alternative

• Sad 1

Sorry to hear that.

Why don't you call them?  Ban Mha Ka and or the doctors who have been out already if they are from a different place? Or ask your wife to call them if you can't?  Or have a neighbor or somebody help you load the dog so you can take her?  If none of those work, call Chiang Mai Buddy.

• Like 1

When I had to have my beloved golden put down at Ban Mha Ka, I had to make my own arrangements to have him picked up there and brought to the cremation site.  This was two years ago, so they may have other services on offer now.

If it's a matter of transporting to the doctor and a songtaew is not satisfactory (or if a driver refuses), I happened to notice last week when I was at CMU Small Animal Hospital a "pet ambulance" transporting large dogs to the hospital. Perhaps call CMU Small Animal Hospital and ask them for the number of the ambulance?

Sorry to hear the bad news....it's always difficult...

The clinic did put her to sleep and took her away for cremation.

It was all very emotional, but they did a good job of putting her to sleep.

I was disappointed however with the way the ashes were given back to me, big chunks of bone and her nose was mostly still intact, but crispy!!

I had to take a hammer to the bag of bones and spent half an hour turning them into ashes. I would have thought that for their 5,000 baht fee they could have got someone to do that, and I am glad my wife never got to see it.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

I was disappointed however with the way the ashes were given back to me, big chunks of bone and her nose was mostly still intact, but crispy!!

I had to take a hammer to the bag of bones and spent half an hour turning them into ashes. I would have thought that for their 5,000 baht fee they could have got someone to do that, and I am glad my wife never got to see it.

That is the way it is done here. Fragments/chunks are returned and not ashes as we are accustomed to. Same with humans.....

The charges are usually determined by the size of the dog- I believe the rate starts at 500b and goes up to 1000b (it might have been 1500b for my 45kg dog, but that would have included his being picked up at the vet).

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, meatboy said:

welcome NIENKE its been quite awhile since i have seen you posting,so from meatboy and sam its great to know your still around.

Yes, still around and active in the doggy world.  Thank you. :)

I hope all is fine with you and Sam. :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nienke said:

Yes, still around and active in the doggy world.  Thank you. :)

I hope all is fine with you and Sam. :) 

the past 18months apart from one mishap and some very dodgy test results locally,sam is very very well.

since we used controline[the first drop on] we ever used he has been tick free just 2 in the 18months.

but we are now having trouble getting stock from our supliers.as the main killer of ticks in controline is FIPRONIL i looked it up and found that cleartix contains the same,but the price is putting me off only 200bht.2doses.

have you ever used it or know if its any good.

13 hours ago, meatboy said:

the past 18months apart from one mishap and some very dodgy test results locally,sam is very very well.

since we used controline[the first drop on] we ever used he has been tick free just 2 in the 18months.

but we are now having trouble getting stock from our supliers.as the main killer of ticks in controline is FIPRONIL i looked it up and found that cleartix contains the same,but the price is putting me off only 200bht.2doses.

have you ever used it or know if its any good.

Frontline also has Fipronil as has many tick/flea-shampoo's. 

I find it a bit hard to advise a product. We use, depending on the dogs Frontline, Tictox powder, coconut oil, or with one dog vinegar. 

I know of 2 dogs who almost suffered from kidney failure after getting a newish tick/flea medicine. The product worked like a dream, no more ticks. But then it was also almost 'no more dog'. 
So for now I stick to the  products I know. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThaiPauly said:

My vet charged me 5,000 for the cremation, so I am surprised to hear people talking of 500-1000, seems I got a bit stung by the sounds of it.

However , I won't be doing it again so it's paid and over and done with

Typically they charge about 1500 for a large dog; Labrador, Golden Retriever, Rottweiler, etc.

2 hours ago, DLock said:

I buried my dog in the garden (he was dead at this point)...and every time I walk past the spot, I'll talk to him like he is still here and remember him.

He was buried with his winter jacket, his chain, leash and bowl.

Miss the big boy more than anything....but have a new dog that helps overcome the loss.

Prefer to remember him as a whole dog and not crispy and partially complete...but maybe thats just me.

4 of our dearest friends are under the big tree at the bottom of the garden.

One buried like yours, the next 3 were cremated at a Wat not far from the Duangtawan Hotel in town, received both ashes and bone following cremation.

Size determined the cost max 1,000baht for our lovely German Shepherd to 500baht for our first friend, a Thai poodle who joined us back in 1989.

Some of MIL 's ashes also share the shade of the tree. Room for me sometime, not too soon hopefully!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, DLock said:

I buried my dog in the garden (he was dead at this point)...and every time I walk past the spot, I'll talk to him like he is still here and remember him.

That's works great if you never move, but if you change houses you no longer have access to the burial site.

Some of my dog's ashes (along with his collar) are in a lovely miniature doghouse that my daughter decorated, and we scattered the rest near a lake he loved to walk around- if we move, he comes with us.

• Like 1

On 6/23/2014 at 9:15 AM, Ulysses G. said:

That's what the Thais do and what I did to the local moggy after I took it to the vet and it expired but i can understand that cremation is 'cleaner' (after all it's the way I want to go too). Up, Up and Away!

On 7/23/2017 at 8:05 AM, ThaiPauly said:

I'm surprised, and relieved, they did it but that's a whole other thread (which we have discussed before if you recall).