Why don’t you “fly the flag”?

Costas2008

A little disappointed here.

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

Pride comes before the fall...and how the Greek nation has fallen!

Seriously though, nationalistic fervor is bullshit.  Hanging any flag so low in that soi really is slapping people in the face with it. I am happy to live in my country but I don't think I need to wave the flag about it. And for the many and varied reasons previously mentioned, I would never display my country's flag at my residence in Thailand.    

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lot's of answers about my flag being lower or higher than the Thai flag and if the pole is short enough or long enough.

My original question was, are you proud of your own country as to display your national flag or you have just forgotten everything living the good life in Thailand?

Seriously though, nationalistic fervor is bullshit.  Hanging any flag so low in that soi really is slapping people in the face with it. I am happy to live in my country but I don't think I need to wave the flag about it. And for the many and varied reasons previously mentioned, I would never display my country's flag at my residence in Thailand.    

When did it fall?

Last time I spoke to them, they assured me it's still free.

No money..........but free.

Flying your own country flag is an excellent way to call attention to your house as a choice target when burglars are casing the neighborhood. wink.png

They wont  have a  clue by me what with me 12  feet high shiny gold and stainless gates complete with gold  lions and  all.

You know Im the only 3  storey 600m2 house   for miles around.laugh.png

There goes the neighborhood...another McMansion.

When did it fall?

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"

KK

• Like 1

Can never understand this stuff; why do people always want to be noticed by hanging flags out or having personalised number plates etc etc ?    Must have some kind of inferiority complex or something.  Personally i much prefer to be Mr Nobody and remain invisible for the most part and never feel the need for any 'extra attention'.   You don't need flags to just get on with being you, no matter where you live.

• Like 2

I actually wonder why fly the flag? when I see it (usually the union jack) flying over some house or business.  Seems rather like a bit of colonialism to me as if the foreigner were trying to claim that bit of real estate for their home country.

I have no patriotism for either Scotland of the UK, so why should I fly the flag? In Costas case, if he feels that Greece has been fair to him and treated him fairly as a Greek citizen, and flies his countries flag, then good on him.

• Like 1

Flags and symbols of nationalism are dangerous sometimes, especially when you are an outsider in a foreign country.

Perhaps if you discussed it with your neighbours first and explained that you weren't annexing a part of their country, on behalf of your country of origin, there won't be any problems but it just seems unnecessary to me.

I wouldn't imagine it'd be a problem on a short term basis during the World Cup or similar events but a permanent reminder of a foreign presence can interpreted in different ways by different people, and not always as a benevolent sysmbol.

I'm in the UK right now and it's dangerous to fly the national flag in some areas, even if you are not an outsider!

No wonder.

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it one way or the other.  Anybody ever driven through the deep south rural areas of the US 150 years after the US Civil War?

confed-flag-wide.jpg

There are riots every year around 12 July in Northern Ireland due to flags and parades...

Yes, and we know who causes them.

I have a large Scottish flag hanging on my wall - no Thai flag. I am waiting for the day Scotland gets independence and then I'll fly it from my  banana tree at the same height as my dirty washing.

Like I said in an earlier post, I have no patriotism towards Scotland or the UK, but if Scotland votes 'YES' in September (which I don't believe they will) then for the first time in my life, I will be a patriotic and proud Scot.

The OP has gone quiet on this thread. He has the Greek flag as his avatar and he says that he flies the flag outside his house. It would be helpful to know what he hopes other people think when they see his Greek flag? Presumably he expects a positive response, even from the Turks!

What do Thais know about Greece? lla regguB, I would have thought. If Thais ask you, what does Greece mean to you, what do you tell them?

Georgios Samaras.

Loves it soooooo much, he abandoned it, and lives across the otherside of the world!

Gone but not forgotten eh ?

Please do not deviate from the original question.

It's not about me or the Greek flag, but why people do not display the flags of their own country.

Thank you.

Some people are not patriotic towards their country, especially when their government steals from OAPs by not giving them their annual pension increases which they have paid for all their working lives because they live in Thailand, and other countries.

Can never understand this stuff; why do people always want to be noticed by hanging flags out or having personalised number plates etc etc ?    Must have some kind of inferiority complex or something.  Personally i much prefer to be Mr Nobody and remain invisible for the most part and never feel the need for any 'extra attention'.   You don't need flags to just get on with being you, no matter where you live.

Yes, I know what you mean.......There are so many people, living amongst us, without any ideals, without any aspirations, they pass through this short life quite, and then, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, nobody seen them, nobody heard of them, nobody will miss them.

Yes, I know what you mean.......There are so many people, living amongst us, without any ideals, without any aspirations, they pass through this short life quite, and then, ashes to ashes, dust to dust, nobody seen them, nobody heard of them, nobody will miss them.

What a load of crap!

What has having ideals and aspirations got to do with flying your countries flag outside your home in a foreign land?

Don't be so arrogant as to believe that people that don't show the outward signs of patriotism are not patriots, OR, have no ideals and aspiration.

• Like 1

What a load of crap!

What has having ideals and aspirations got to do with flying your countries flag outside your home in a foreign land?

Don't be so arrogant as to believe that people that don't show the outward signs of patriotism are not patriots, OR, have no ideals and aspiration.

Ah, Karen, now you broke my heart.

Before, you used to stand up for me.......now I'm arrogant........

May be the reason is, that I come from a different culture, different upbringing, different background from most of the posters, so I interpret, patriotism, ideals and aspiration in my own way.

After reading your post......I'm going to sulk sad.png

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and lowered no later than dusk.

When the flag is raised or lowered, or when it is carried in a parade or review, everyone present should be silent and face the flag. People in uniform should salute.

The flag should always be flown freely and as close as possible to the top of the flagpole with the rope tightly secured.

Unless all flags are raised and lowered simultaneously, the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last.

When the Australian National Flag is flown with flags of other nations, all flags should be the same size and flown on flagpoles of the same height.

When flying with only one other national flag, the Australian National Flag should fly on the left of a person facing the flags.

Two flags should not be flown from the same flagpole.

The flag may be flown at night only when it is illuminated.

The flag should never be flown if it is damaged, faded or dilapidated. When the material of a flag deteriorates it should be destroyed privately and in a dignified way. i.e. it may be cut into small unrecognisable pieces then disposed of with the normal rubbish collection.

The flag should not be flown upside down, even as a signal of distress.

The flag should not fall or lie on the ground or be used as a cover (although it can be used to cover a coffin at a funeral).

the flag should be flown halfmast when the master of the home is drunk.

the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last

says who? huh.png

• Like 2

The flag should be raised briskly and lowered ceremoniously.

The flag should be raised no earlier than first light and lowered no later than dusk.

When the flag is raised or lowered, or when it is carried in a parade or review, everyone present should be silent and face the flag. People in uniform should salute.

The flag should always be flown freely and as close as possible to the top of the flagpole with the rope tightly secured.

Unless all flags are raised and lowered simultaneously, the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last.

When the Australian National Flag is flown with flags of other nations, all flags should be the same size and flown on flagpoles of the same height.

When flying with only one other national flag, the Australian National Flag should fly on the left of a person facing the flags.

Two flags should not be flown from the same flagpole.

The flag may be flown at night only when it is illuminated.

The flag should never be flown if it is damaged, faded or dilapidated. When the material of a flag deteriorates it should be destroyed privately and in a dignified way. i.e. it may be cut into small unrecognisable pieces then disposed of with the normal rubbish collection.

The flag should not be flown upside down, even as a signal of distress.

The flag should not fall or lie on the ground or be used as a cover (although it can be used to cover a coffin at a funeral).

the flag should be flown halfmast when the master of the home is drunk.

the Australian National Flag should be raised first and lowered last

says who? huh.png

Says me.

where in Pattaya can i buy the national flag of Waziristan?

When you fix your Avatar picture, I'll give you one for free thumbsup.gif

Thaivisa software does not let me fix my avatar! all attempts to change in vain. the old distorted picture comes up again... and again... and again... again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...

[attachment=273666:Worf angry3.jpg]

• Like 1

Thaivisa software does not let me fix my avatar! all attempts to change in vain. the old distorted picture comes up again... and again... and again... again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...again... and again... and again...

attachicon.gifWorf angry3.jpg

Oooops, sorry Mr Naam.....didn't want to upset you......so much.

Why dont you fly the flag?

Alot of guys wouldn't let such a little thing bother them.

Consider it a lesson in self-control. Edited by ClutchClark

When did it fall?

Well Costas, while you were away a few bad things happened to the economy of Greece which has caused social hardship on a massive scale.  I am sure you have many happy memories of Greece Costas. And it will probably be always in your heart but at the moment, not a lot to be proud of I am sorry to say.

If I can quote some reports....

When the New Year kicked off in Athens, a pall of smoke hung over the city. Steep hikes in fuel prices had pushed people to burn wood to stay warm, and even discarded Christmas trees were being fed into the fires. At the same time, a series of small explosions targeted the offices of the two major parties, New Democracy and Pasok, as well as the residences of several prominent journalists

and another

Greece's economy has been in a mostly downward spiral since the country joined the euro in 2001. ....Despite last year's (2010) €110 billion bailout and the introduction of harsh austerity measures, the country has been unable to balance its books.

and for good measure

While workers and pensioners are being overtaxed, which has resulted in a significant reduction in consumption, and despite the severe cuts these people have suffered, driving almost half of the population to poverty, Troika- the IMF/EU bailout programme, and the government have done very little to tackle the real problem of tax evasion.

I love the comment by Thaddeus by the way.

Edited by raybal5

Naam, have you tried the Gravatar option to host your avatar? The TV board seems to have trouble whenever you try to change the picture, had the same issues.

Since I use Gravatar it´s all fine thumbsup.gif

Edited by I knew this would happen

When did it fall?

Well Costas, while you were away a few bad things happened to the economy of Greece which has caused social hardship on a massive scale.  I am sure you have many happy memories of Greece Costas. And it will probably be always in your heart but at the moment, not a lot to be proud of I am sorry to say.

If I can quote some reports....

When the New Year kicked off in Athens, a pall of smoke hung over the city. Steep hikes in fuel prices had pushed people to burn wood to stay warm, and even discarded Christmas trees were being fed into the fires. At the same time, a series of small explosions targeted the offices of the two major parties, New Democracy and Pasok, as well as the residences of several prominent journalists

and another

Greece's economy has been in a mostly downward spiral since the country joined the euro in 2001. ....Despite last year's (2010) €110 billion bailout and the introduction of harsh austerity measures, the country has been unable to balance its books.

and for good measure

While workers and pensioners are being overtaxed, which has resulted in a significant reduction in consumption, and despite the severe cuts these people have suffered, driving almost half of the population to poverty, Troika- the IMF/EU bailout programme, and the government have done very little to tackle the real problem of tax evasion.

I love the comment by Thaddeus by the way.

Raybal5, quite agree with you, and many thanks for the links provided.

But you have to understand, Greece is my country, the country I was born, the country I grew up.

And I'm very proud and love my country, whatever the situation is there.

At the moment, the only physical connection I have with Greece is that flag, flying on my front gate.

Please, allow me to retain the good memories, I don't hurt anybody.

I really hope, for the good of Greece and the good of the EU, as a whole, better days will come.

• Like 2

Naam, have you tried the Gravatar option to host your avatar? The TV board seems to have trouble whenever you try to change the picture, had the same issues.

Naam, has opened a thread on Support forum, may be you want to redirect your advice there.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/738727-tv-software-discriminates-against-klingons/

i knew that advice would happen again. i tried gravatar and met similar stupid hurdles starting with registering.

[attachment=273831:Worf angry3.jpg]

just checked my profile which does not show the sh*tty distorted picture anymore but one of those i tried to upload (attached). but it does not show as avatar in my postings.

[attachment=273832:Worf WS.jpg]

Edited by Naam

I´ve no idea how to fix any problems regarding the avatar issue when using the TV´s own option. I just noticed all the problems you are having too, like the avatar in the profile and the acutal posts don´t match or the picture seem to change randomly by itself. I never figured out how to solve that. Maybe you stick to your support thread then. 

So right now you don´t use Gravatar because it´s stupid to register? Maybe, but if you finally did register there it´s a breeze compared to the TV system.

To stay on topic, I don´t have any flag of the Vaterland, though I love and miss it. Never felt to need to show everyone where I´m from. Most of the time I´m even "undervocer" with some US or UK Polo shirts smile.png

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1