Why Beer Prices have Increased in Bangkok?

NewMind

If I recall correctly, last time i had a beer in Bangkok from the 7/11, it cost me approx. 24 baht (the cheapest one). That was 2013. I've seen that alcoholic beverages, more particularly beer prices have increased in recent periods. When compared to other city-states like Hong Kong, where a 300 ml Carlsberg generally comes at HK$ 6 (which is equalto 25 Baht ) at local convenience stores. My friends quote me that beer prices have indeed increased as one might not find the same price now.

Is it true? Can you guys confirm this?I mean if the price increase are at both the departmental stores and general shops in Bangkok? I'm on a budget.

Edited by NewMind

Your coming all the way to Thailand to drink beer at the 7/11?

That's some small budget!

Not really.

I didn't mean that. I am comparing the prices around and across the South Asia and the Far East. I mostly travel in the far east, live in Hong Kong, often visit China and Singapore, and occasionally visit Bangkok, since Bangkok is a very beautiful city, and it's all becuase of Thai food, I prefer Bangkok. But since i'm continuously on a move across the region (as a travel photographer), i need to care about some extra expenses. One thing that brings me back to Bangkok again and again is the lovely combination of Thai cuisine which I enjoy with few pints of beer.

If I find the similar things (say a bottle of wine) at a lower price in some other departmental store, say Family Mart, i wouldn't bother to buy if that place is far away from my hotel. thumbsup.gif

Edited by NewMind

Not really.

I didn't mean that. I am comparing the prices around and across the South Asia and the Far East. I mostly travel in the far east, live in Hong Kong, often visit China and Singapore, and occasionally visit Bangkok, since Bangkok is a very beautiful city, and it's all becuase of Thai food, I prefer Bangkok. But since i'm continuously on a move across the region (as a travel photographer), i need to care about some extra expenses. One thing that brings me back to Bangkok again and again is the lovely combination of Thai cuisine which I enjoy with few pints of beer.

If I find the similar things (say a bottle of wine) at a lower price in some other departmental store, say Family Mart, i wouldn't bother to buy if that place is far away from my hotel. thumbsup.gif

I would say Bangkok is an interesting city and, to a photographer, might even be beautiful as a subject. But I'd hardly call it beautiful in the style and design senses.

Anyway, beer is far cheaper anywhere but in Thailand. Cambodia anything from 15 to 30 baht, Vietnam from 15 to 30 baht in bars and restaurants.

Edit: Forgot that alcohol taxes went up by quite a jump last year.

You still get the cheapest beer-- "Beer" beer in Hong kong which costs no more than 10 Baht or HK $2. That's probably the cheapest one you can get anywhere in the world, adjusted for inflation.

Carlsberg HK $ 6 +

Heineken $ 8

Stroh $ 5 (330 ml)

Ice $ 5 (500 ml)

Just give you some comparative prices: in HK $

Goa $ 4 Tuborg

Bangalore $ 5.5

Singapore $ 10 (42 Baht- 330 ml)

Kuala Lumpur $ 18 (75 Baht) probably the most costliest in Asia (ex-Japan).

Not really.

You sure you've been into Singapore? Since when dirt & noise & traffic jams makes Bangkok better than Singapore? I live in Bangkok for 3 years and it is anything but "Beautiful".

I agree I would not describe Bangkok as beautiful. Wat Pho is thought.

Nothing beautiful about the people either they wouldn't even piss on you if you were on fire LMFAO

I find these Daily Trolls amazing the never cease to bring s mile to my face :)

Yes BKK is getting terrible expensive, even the public transportation went up by 1 baht last year how unfair is that!!!!

I blame Obama since most of the rest of the world does why not Thailand!!!!

Not really.

You sure you've been into Singapore? Since when dirt & noise & traffic jams makes Bangkok better than Singapore? I live in Bangkok for 3 years and it is anything but "Beautiful".

I agree I would not describe Bangkok as beautiful. Wat Pho is thought.

Nothing beautiful about the people either they wouldn't even piss on you if you were on fire LMFAO

Thai cuisine is pretty good. I did not say Bangkok is more beautiful or organized like Singapore. It is highly urbanized, but less developed than Singapore, or even KL. I love Thai food which is rich in variety.

The reason for price differences between countries is mainly tax driven. Singapore will be expensive because of the high tax tje government imposes, HK very cheap because there is no government tax. Thailand aomewhere in between. You see similar price differences in Europe as well.

• Like 1

"Thai cuisine is pretty good. I did not say Bangkok is more beautiful or organized like Singapore. It is highly urbanized, but less developed than Singapore, or even KL. I love Thai food which is rich in variety."

I also like Thai food and Bangkok can be a colorful city at times. Have you ever looked into a big basket of red chilies in the market? Now that's beautiful smile.png

I do not know if its 711 that has increased the price margin, but if so it would be understandable, having a fridge full of products that can not be sold until certain times of the day--would add to overall costs.

It is not that long ago that a box of 12 large Chang jumped from 454 baht to 539 baht in the supermarkets, just under 20 percent.

China is about the cheapest I have come across, last October we were paying about 4 yuan(21 baht) for large beer out of the supermarket.

I must go with those that are responding derisively. A few baht extra for a beer is apparently one signifigant concern to you. Absurd. However as a traveller you must have noted that 7-11 is one of your most expensive options for food and beverage stores.

Just as an aside if you are inclined to use 7-11 for a comparative pricing reference it gets blown out of the water in Singapore. There they frequently get 60% - 100% over pricing in privately owned mini-marts. No exaggeration.

• Like 1

I was paying 36 baht for Asahi from foodland about a year ago, its now 48 baht.

30% + increase.

Only buy 3 or 4 every week or so, 36 baht more is no issue but when looked at it from a percentage increase point, its evidence prices are increasing in this land. It is evident it is not the cheap place it once was for many expats and some tourists.

• Like 1

Come to Denmark.

You can get Carlsberg or Tuborg in our stores for what would be 16 Bath pr bottle if you buy a case with 30 in it on sale.

But if you want to buy a Singha here, you have to pay what is approx 140 baht in the same store.

Morale to this must be,, buy local beer instead of imported if you want to save money.

And pray that the local beer is drinkable.

Tried Leo one time because they were cheap in 7/11 on Samui.

And that was the first and last time i bought Leo ;)

What you have in Thailand are second choice beers. And that's being generous toward Thai brewed beers. Leo is OK. Otherwise, it's imports such as San Miguel (regular) or Beer Lao. But for my tastes, it seems like Beer Lao doesn't travel well, which probably means it has sat out in the blazing sun on a truck bed from Lao and sits in an uncooled warehouse before distribution and then outside the bar waiting for fridge space. Not much of a chance to shine.

My time is worth more than this reply.smile.png Who cares about a few Baht? Not being rude but if you drink one less beer then it will be cheaperthumbsup.gif

When 80% of all the calories you consume come from beer, as is the case for most TV readers, a 30% increase in beer prices makes a huge hole in your pocket. That means a 24% increase in your overall food costs even if "solid" food stays the same price! It's enough to drive you to drink.

Edited by Thainess
  • Like 1

Typical TVS get the facts before running your mouth off, just read this sure as I go down many will concur.

• 1 month later...