Aussie Partner Processing Wait times

Does anyone know how my partner obtains an international driving permit for Aus?

They just need to go to the local drivers licence place in Thailand. Wait in the queue and have it sorted. I think my girl got a long time one as she called it...Either way it's just a fancy letter to say she can kill on our roads.

Leaving tonight with the miss back to Thailand as her 3 month tourst visa is up..

We're up to the 8th month mark so far been lucky I soopos out of that she has spent 6 months all on tourst visas here and only been apart for 2 months.

We have sent a email telling them she's going back as we no have to be out of the country for them to grant you the visa .

Would be Awsome" if we got it as soon as we arrive in thailand.

Has anyone herd if there is any been granted from the ones been lodged in January yet ?

Does anyone know how my partner obtains an international driving permit for Aus?

Check over in the Motoring Forum ... question has been asked before. Off-hand, I don't know the answer though.

Checked the pinned topics at the top of that page.

Also, on a Thai Drivers Licence, most Australian States allow 3 months driving on a valid Thai License before insisting on more.

Yeahh but qld doesnt i read!

For QLD.

On a valid Thai License, your Partner will get 3 months.

Here ... http://www.qld.gov.au/transport/licensing/driver-licensing/overseas/driving/

got our first communication from our case officer yesterday requesting the submission of the Thai Police Clearance, indicating it was now under consideration. Certificate and pdf scan shipped off, good to hear some news finally.' I wonder if this is the 'final queue thingy'

Oz

got our first communication from our case officer yesterday requesting the submission of the Thai Police Clearance, indicating it was now under consideration. Certificate and pdf scan shipped off, good to hear some news finally.' I wonder if this is the 'final queue thingy'

Oz

^^ Mate, no idea ... we did the Police Clearance Cert the day MissFarmGirl applied.

They accept a copy? We were asked for original, 1 week later after they got it it was sent for decision.

Gopro ... if that comment was asked of me?

Then, our experience was, go to the VFS, we made the Partner Application, then they gave us a form to take to the Police, we did it that day, the Police then forwarded the Clearance directly onto either the VFS or the Embassy directly.

No further involvement from us.

Sweet.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife's onshore application took 1 year, 6 months, and 17 days from application to approval.

The timeline was:

Applied: 13 Nov 2012

Visa Sub: 820 Partner Temporary Onshore

Application: Paper

Agent: No

Form 80 Submitted: 30 May 2013

Medicals: 12 Jun 2013

CO Assigned: 07 May 2014

Police Checks submitted: 28 May 2014

Visa Granted: 30 May 2014

Another from the Thai wives site, full 12 months October last year lodged granted on the 10th Oct. Seeming there is a real randomness doesn't it?

Oz

My wife's onshore application took 1 year, 6 months, and 17 days from application to approval.

The timeline was:

Applied: 13 Nov 2012

Visa Sub: 820 Partner Temporary Onshore

Application: Paper

Agent: No

Form 80 Submitted: 30 May 2013

Medicals: 12 Jun 2013

CO Assigned: 07 May 2014

Police Checks submitted: 28 May 2014

Visa Granted: 30 May 2014

It's clear from James brock if all docs aren't in, they will wait for you to submit all paperwork. Therefore if you miss something you just wait, as they are waiting for you. The more time you take, the more time they take.

Edited by Gopro
  • Like 2

It does seem that if you don't have your ducks in a row before submission (as much as possible) then you get thrown back to the bottom of the pile. In fact you are now a speed bump to those following you which slows down their natural progression.

Oz

It's clear from James brock if all docs aren't in, they will wait for you to submit all paperwork. Therefore if you miss something you just wait, as they are waiting for you. The more time you take, the more time they take.

Exactly.

The posted processing times when we applied were 13 months, so there was no point front-loading the application with the health checks and police clearances, as DIBP state they are only valid for one year.

We received a request for more information 19 March 2014, requesting the two police checks - the Thai request was sent off on 3 March, but due to the civil unrest back then took some time to come back; the AFP one proved to be difficult to obtain, due to lack of acceptable identification documents (we didn't have any acceptable documents showing her married name and current address); however, that issue resolved once we received an acceptable bank statement (to our new address) soon after 31 March.

In fact you are now a speed bump to those following you which slows down their natural progression.

Oz

No, I don't believe that to be the case. It's not like the CO stopped working after sending out the above mentioned request for the police checks; if anything, it would have sped up the process for those in the queue after us, as she would have gotten to their application quicker.

Edited by jamesbrock

from the horses mouth so as to speak

Update from the delegates indicates that the cases are being finalised by the tenth month. If there is no further document required by the delegate at the final stage, you should have a decision by .....

the delegates referred to are the final decision makers, not CO.

Oz

Edited by ozsamurai

This is all I get"..!

Important

Please note that the standard processing time for a partner visa is 12 months, and we will not be providing updates on the progress of your application if it is within the timeframe. Your case officer will advise you if further information is required. In the interests of fairness, we process applications in the order in which they are received.

Ahhh this is killing me ..!!!???

Luba no need to get annoyed, this is the 'auto response' email you get every time you send them an email. More of a confirmation of receipt than anything else. If the officer needs to contact you over the visa they will. My email history displays like this.

Inquiry

auto response

real response from CO

my reply

auto response

etc...

and so on. We all have lots of those 'generic' emails, please read my post above from the CO saying that 10months is now the norm as of this week.

Oz

As of this week it will take 10months. What do you mean like from people who submit from now ?

All I know is that there giving out visas for the ones who submitted in the month of January so mine should be up next.!!