Aussie Partner Processing Wait times

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2017 at 0:35 AM, Dodgydownunder said:

Just received very good news tonight when i checked my email. My wife's permanent (100) partner visa was granted (30 May). Now I can call her an Aussie. We applied on October 7th, 2016, so the processing time was just short of 8 months.

No agent used because we had heaps of evidence gathered over our marriage of 18 years. No interview required. We need to enter Australia by end of November (6 months exactly after the granting of the visa). Just as I thought, after we had submitted our police checks and my wife had her medical about 2 and a half months ago, we were a good chance to get an earlier grant of the full permanent resident partner visa.

This is mainly because:

1. We have beeen married and living together for nearly 18 years.

2. No children involved (We are bringing 2 cats, but that's another story!)

3. Financially okay. Can still afford to buy a house somewhere on the outskirts of Melbourne or Geelong, but am considering other options too. Hobart? Albury ? Looks like we need to do some travelling together to decide.

Even though we considered our application to be very strong, the waiting period drags on and on and it tends to get you down. The worst thing is you won't hear anything for months. I reckon it is only very recently that they looked at our application.

So, anyone else still waiting for their partner's visa, don't worry, it will come through in the end if you have a bona fide and well documented relationship. It can be quite a stressful time so hang in there together. Good luck.

Congratulations, Dodgydownunder. I think I told you there wouldn't be any hassles getting your 309 + 100. Like you, I did  all of the applications myself. I might have given Immigration more information than was required, but maybe it helped to get the Visa Grant for the missus in 4 months and 12 days after submitting the paper application at VFS at the Trendy building in Bangkok. Nevertheless, I still still found the waiting period a bit stressfull.

We are now happily settled in our unit in Darwin and  life is great. The missus has already started her free 510 hours Adult Migrant English Program at the Charles Darwin Unuversity and is doing great at medium level. We arrived on 21. April 2017 at the start of the dry season in the Top End of the Northern Territory,  so the weather is fantastic with quite a few "Southerners" coming up here for the warmer tropical weather, escaping the Southern winter.

There is just one thing I would like to mention. You have six months to activate your Visa Grant. Your wife will become an Australian Permanent Resident (PR) on the day she enters Australia. After four years being a Permanent Resident, she will be able to apply for Australian Citizenship. If she is still a PR after 5 years in Australia, she will need a re-entry visa every time she travels abroad to re-enter Australia. If she decides to apply for Australian Citizenship as a PR after 4 years, she can only spend time outside of Australia for a period of less than 12 months. Cheers

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Northpoint said:

There is just one thing I would like to mention. You have six months to activate your Visa Grant. Your wife will become an Australian Permanent Resident (PR) on the day she enters Australia. After four years being a Permanent Resident, she will be able to apply for Australian Citizenship. If she is still a PR after 5 years in Australia, she will need a re-entry visa every time she travels abroad to re-enter Australia. If she decides to apply for Australian Citizenship as a PR after 4 years, she can only spend time outside of Australia for a period of less than 12 months. Cheers

Thanks Northpoint, especially for the information in your last paragraph. I wasn't sure how the citenzenship thing worked. Glad your wife has settled into life in Darwin well. I was an army reservist and remember Darwin and Katherine very well during the Kangaroo '89 army extrcises. Beautiful weather this time of year. We are looking at a move sometime in October.

Cheers.

• Like 1