Aussie Partner Processing Wait times

I read on another forum they are making decisions for people who hit the final decision list in the beginning of May That's good but it would help if I new wen I was put in final decision ?!!

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I would try ringing them.+6623446400 between 2.30 and 4.30 mon to fri.I found the number on their website.If they didn't want you to call they wouldn't have their number on their website.I don't think it would hurt

• Like 1

I read on another forum they are making decisions for people who hit the final decision list in the beginning of May That's good but it would help if I new wen I was put in final decision ?!!

Jireg applied 17/01 and hit the final queue 03/06...19 weeks.You applied 05/02 so I would think you hit it end of june.They only doing beginning of May now,so I would say about 2 more months to wait.Which would make it a 9 month wait.

This should be in the same tread but a bit peculiar situation.

- Left Oz 1. September 2003. for Japan, has not returned since. Have had 2 passports issued (2004. and 2014.) in Oz Embassy in Tokyo.

- Live and work in Japan on "Special Engineering Skills" visa since September 1. 2003.

- In the meantime, legally married a Thai in Bangkok, have a 10 years old daughter with her. The daughter has Oz passport (second one now), marriage also reported to Oz Embassy in BKK. Neither daughter nor wife have ever been to Oz nor attempted to get any visa,

- We, as a family, with Japanese "house papers", live in Japan together since September 2008. They are on "dependant" visa with health insurance and all social services and eligibilities through my employment.

- We have all gained (in 2 months from now) Japanese Permanent Resident Status.

If i retire and want to move back to Oz, would that be a 6-8 months wait for mother to get her visa, as you guys are experiencing?

Edited by think_too_mut

Closer to 9 to 12 months for wife.Your daughter can come anytime as she is oz citizen.But remember these are waiting times for visas lodged in Bangkok,if you lodge in Japan I wouldn't know the waiting period.

I remember that a friend, a gay, took his partner (a Japanese) to Oz in 2008. Applied at Oz Embassy in Tokyo , kind of remember him telling me "two weeks and all done", triumphant to show his partner how cool and efficient Oz Immigration are for something that Japanese would not have done, ever, at all.

The week after, when they arrived to Sydney, I was told, his JP partner was in awe how easy it was to get Medicare and open a bank account. So it must had been a permanent residency visa for him, if he could get Medicare.

Can't see him online to confirm.

Edited by think_too_mut
  • Like 1

Yes, just asked him...it was 2 weeks visa processing to bring his gay partner to Oz, done at Oz Embassy in Tokyo. That included medical check and police check in Japan.

The visa was 2 years "permanent provisional", after 2 years they check if they are still together and then it becomes "permanent" permanent (happened in 2010).

Now, sifting through the Oz Immigration site, i found there are categories of applicants, subjected to yearly quotas and that may cause the delay. For some family categories they don't accept any more applications, half year through.

I wonder if gay unions come from a different quota and not many applicants and it went so startlingly quick?

Or not many couples from Japan apply and staff is not overloaded?

• Like 2

@Think too mut. I lived in Japan for 20 years, sponsored 2 Japanese wives to Oz. The 2 week thing is a myth, unless there was extenuating circumstances. Normally it would only take 6 months all up at the outside. The last one 2006 took only 3 months. I allowed double for here (Thailand) and was caught out, as it seems triple or more is the status quo now. There were also many other categories available up until June this year which were faster, these have since been axed. meaning that every Visa stream is now being funneled into one or two choices, hence the slow down. Congrats on the PR for Japan, should have done mine while I was there, I regret it now.

Oz

Samurai, you may well be right - it even says that all applications from Japan are processed in Seoul nowdays.

But for that gay friend, i spoke to him just before posting, he confirmed it had taken him 2 weeks back in 2008.

JP permanent residency is far easier since July 2014: now it takes only 3 years of stable life and paying taxes, permanent job and salary of 3 mil yen up. No interviews, no kanji, they don't even have to see you - an agent can submit on your behalf. Doing that for my daughter to give her one more choice atop of Oz and Thai.

But 6 months that you said it would take for wife...not unexpected, she can sit it out in Japan, we are all together here anyway without any visa renewals or reporting.

Can any one tell me that a case with children in the application takes longer then one with out ?

Well ... that depends.

Are the 'children' ... Thai Citizens only or Dual Citizens?

We waited for MissFarmGirl's Partner Visa application till after our children were granted Citizen by Descent by the OZ Embassy as it strengthens the perceived bond between us.

If the children are your partners ... then the answer might be different.

Just a thought bubble ... I have no experience in this area ... same as all of us.

Luba's question, although I get the gist, kind of doesn't apply cause there's too many variables.

Each visa is an individual case.

What happens if your case officer takes a week off for a vacation? Does your visa take a week longer?

• Like 1

I would try ringing them.+6623446400 between 2.30 and 4.30 mon to fri.I found the number on their website.If they didn't want you to call they wouldn't have their number on their website.I don't think it would hurt

I called them on that number you provided and it's a recorded message saying if your time has exceeded the 12 months then send them a email.... Other then that that there is know one to talk to other then my agent.

So I'm going to sit out 4 more weeks and that will bring us to 8 months then will go back to Thailand with my Fiancé as her tourist visa runs out..

Just wondering, 11 year since I left oz, I could have married anyone, an American for example, have kids and settle in Japan.

If we were to move to Oz, and apply in Tokyo for her papers, would that not be technically the same to Oz Immigration as if I married a Thai national and had family the same way? What if I applied for wife's papers in Washington D.C and she was an American?

Is it the Thainess (and possibly the sheer number of applicants) that is making it so slow? Or, no difference?

Edited by think_too_mut

Its not the country, its the citizenship of the applicant. As racist as that may sound, first world countries have a smoother transition. I lined up at the immigration both here and Japan as a white guy, I literally saw them thumb through all the folders and pull mine from the bottom of the stack while they let the Thai's and Brazilians wait. Its justa fact of life, that they will deny if asked, but the truth of it is 1st world applicants don't wait like we do, because of our wives being Thai. Perhaps if we converted to Islam, then things would move faster....:)

Oz

Its not the country, its the citizenship of the applicant. As racist as that may sound, first world countries have a smoother transition. I lined up at the immigration both here and Japan as a white guy, I literally saw them thumb through all the folders and pull mine from the bottom of the stack while they let the Thai's and Brazilians wait. Its justa fact of life, that they will deny if asked, but the truth of it is 1st world applicants don't wait like we do, because of our wives being Thai. Perhaps if we converted to Islam, then things would move faster....:)

Oz

High risk is the class, not because of not being 1st world.

Why would converting to Islam speed things up?

Can any one tell me that a case with children in the application takes longer then one with out ?

Well ... that depends.

We waited for MissFarmGirl's Partner Visa application till after our children were granted Citizen by Descent by the OZ Embassy as it strengthens the perceived bond between us.

Just a thought bubble ... I have no experience in this area ... same as all of us.

Luba's question, although I get the gist, kind of doesn't apply cause there's too many variables.

What happens if your case officer takes a week off for a vacation? Does your visa take a week longer?

krisb is right, just too many variables.

Things like the case officer, workload, application etc etc.

All of these things can make a difference.

As far as having kids in the application, as long as the correct

documents are provided, it shouldn't increase the waiting period.

In David48's case above, the kids are Aussie citizens so they wouldn't

be included in the application.

Well ... that depends.

krisb is right, just too many variables.

Things like the case officer, workload, application etc etc.

All of these things can make a difference.

As far as having kids in the application, as long as the correct

documents are provided, it shouldn't increase the waiting period.

In David48's case above, the kids are Aussie citizens so they wouldn't

be included in the application.

So what's your saying is that just course I have lodged before someone else doesn't mean il get mine granted before..

"So what's your saying is that just course I have lodged before someone else doesn't mean il get mine granted before.."

Yep, You can use the times quoted in this thread as a ball park figure that's all.
They're not all processed by the same CO so there are going to be different dates.

• Like 1

Just spoke to another Oz colleague. He married his Thai wife october 2013. Applied for her visa a week later. Granted "provisional PR" in March 2014, now with him in Oz.

Took 5 months. No kids involved on either side, only 2 of them. She had been to Oz 3 times prior to that, on 3 months toursist visa.

There was an interview, 2 dumb questions. Whate they were after is that she is of a good character and that their reationship is genuine. He is low 50s, her I don't know but not in 20s.

• Like 1

Just spoke to another Oz colleague. He married his Thai wife october 2013. Applied for her visa a week later. Granted "provisional PR" in March 2014, now with him in Oz.

Took 5 months. No kids involved on either side, only 2 of them. She had been to Oz 3 times prior to that, on 3 months toursist visa.

There was an interview, 2 dumb questions. Whate they were after is that she is of a good character and that their reationship is genuine. He is low 50s, her I don't know but not in 20s.

Mmmmm.. That's interesting my agent told me but marring it would not make the proses go faster, just you skip the fiancé visa and go straight to the partner visa. I'm hoping that my fiancé has been here 6 times all on a 3 month tourist visa prior us lodging for a Prospective Marriage Visa, will work in our favour..

In my previous post, what I called an interview for them was, in his words (found it in the chat transcription) "2 dumb questions over the counter" when they called them once.

The guy was going to marry her anyway, he was not under direction of a lawyer. They handled the application themselves (I don't know that place, he called it "Thai CC Building in Bangkok").

What he told me was : " If Oz were after her good character and geniunity of our relationship, your case would be a no-brainer for them, the Japanese have verified that over 3 x 3 years dependant visa and PR for the family, so 2-3 months max".

His experience is 6 months old, hope it is still holding.

In my previous post, what I called an interview for them was, in his words (found it in the chat transcription) "2 dumb questions over the counter" when they called them once.

The guy was going to marry her anyway, he was not under direction of a lawyer. They handled the application themselves (I don't know that place, he called it "Thai CC Building in Bangkok").

What he told me was : " If Oz were after her good character and geniunity of our relationship, your case would be a no-brainer for them, the Japanese have verified that over 3 x 3 years dependant visa and PR for the family, so 2-3 months max".

His experience is 6 months old, hope it is still holding.

It doesn't matter how long you have been married or what the japanese have verified ,the wait time is still the same.At the moment its about 9 months.I have been married 5 years with 2 kids and its almost been 5 months now waiting.It sits there on someones desk for 4 months before they even look at it....When we submitted ours in April we were told that there were a lot of people putting in applications at that time and that it might take a bit longer than the average 6-8 months due to workload.

It doesn't matter how long you have been married or what the japanese have verified ,the wait time is still the same.At the moment its about 9 months.I have been married 5 years with 2 kids and its almost been 5 months now waiting.It sits there on someones desk for 4 months before they even look at it....When we submitted ours in April we were told that there were a lot of people putting in applications at that time and that it might take a bit longer than the average 6-8 months due to workload.

I still beleive that a permanent resident of Japan after 10 years marriage to Australian, family and Japanese residence, applying in Japan would go quicker than than someone who has not left Thailand and has applied from there. Why would it not? Wife's character and relationship genuinity checks, if that is what my friend said was essential, will have been done just by the sheer time that had lapsed while living in Japan as a family (and gaining PR).

Unless, you mean, even if my application takes 30 mins to approve and yours may take 3 days, the both paper sets sit on the same desk somewhere for 7-8 months before even being touched?

When I lodged I asked the lady from the embassy would our application be approved quicker because of the fact we were married for 5 years and had 2 oz citizen kids and obviously in a relationship, and she said no.She said they look at each application in turn from when they were submitted.So even though yours might be straight forward and take only 30 minutes to make a decision they wont look at it until they look at the bloke who submitted his the day before you, so the wait will still be approx be the same.

Unless they have "rationalized" it to the bone, the turn around time with PR for skilled migrants into Australia was:

Applications logged in

Turkey: 3 years (~100,000 applicants a year)

Croatia: 6 months (~3,000 applicants a year)

Denmark: 10 business days (5 - 10 applicants a year)

The papers sit in different queues, diffrent placess, different staff workload (albeit staff number are more proportional).

At each location, there is no queue jumping, regardless how simple or complex the applications are.

Up to that point your statement is valid.

My point comes after that: naturally there will be far more applications in the BKK -> Oz queue than in the Tokyo -> Oz queue. Even if all submissions go for manual or whatever pre-processing into one place, they would be returned to a local Case Officer, in mu case, in Tokyo or Osaka, wherever more convenient (Osaka is) or where they recommend.

That is why I beleive that simple, straightforward case and lower workload at my particular location should both lead to the shorter turn around time.