More Bangkok motorcycle taxi stands display fare boards

webfact

More moto taxi stands display fare boards
By Coconuts Bangkok

motos.jpg?itok=tUNM8nPU
Price boards such as this one at a motorcycle taxi stand in the Sathon area appeared over the weekend. Photo: Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Crackdowns come and crackdowns go, but motorcylce taxi operators around Bangkok seem to be taking this one more seriously.

Pricing information has gone up at many informal queue sites around the city since the police and military junta said they would introduce new regulations and at least one operator was arrested for overcharging.

According to state media, about 1,000 of the 6,300 motorcyle taxi stands in the capital are not registered with authorities. Altogether they claim there are more than 100,000 riders operating illegally, some without licenses. [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2014/06/23/more-moto-taxi-stands-display-fare-boards

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2014-06-23

They use price boards in LAOS. The prices on the boards are not regulated and most are exhorbant. Especially if they are quoting prices in English which means their special price is especially high. The NCPO should have a max price per kilometer and make it a standard for all commercial transit like tuk tuk and motor taxis

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They use price boards in LAOS. The prices on the boards are not regulated and most are exhorbant. Especially if they are quoting prices in English which means their special price is especially high. The NCPO should have a max price per kilometer and make it a standard for all commercial transit like tuk tuk and motor taxis

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

They do. Other than the destinations and prices marked on the board it clearly says that it is 5 Baht per km up to 5 kms. Anything over 5 kms is negotiable by the parties to the transaction. Obviously it is all in Thai language.

"At a meeting last week, authorities announced the first of a three-part campaign would be requiring posted sign boards advertising the fares for common destinations by distance."

Let's hope phase 2 requires the signs to be in English as well as Thai. A pamphlet printed in Thai & English, approved, produced and distributed by the NCPO would be the best.

they need to do same thing in pattaya, get ripped off here too.

have to agree - walk down soi 7 and ask for a short MB taxi ride and they will say something ridiculous like 50 baht for a short journey - I just say I'd rather walk, and an extra passenger is double - what is that all about !!!!!

You go General....its about time some law and order in this country.

IAMSOGOOD

Its kind of like he really is looking for another career in September. And taking a leaf out of Thaksins populist book cant really do him any harm. It got Thaksin 12,000,000 votes

The way the Army is going clearing up the scam merchants and low life we are not going to have anything to complain about laugh.png

They do seem to be moving against the low end. I am unconvinced about their ultimate motives knowing the corruption that takes place in high places, such as regarding military contracts. Methinks they are attempting to clean some things up that have operated to the profit of the police in order to weaken the long term financial capability of the police guild to compete in pollitics at the national level.

• Like 1

WHY

Negotiate with them, if you can count in Thai, first thing i learnt

Same here.

If you can haggle in Thai you will almost certainly get a lower price. Some years back I managed to gaggle the price for 6 months rent with the landlady who speaks no English. We got down to 36k (for 6 months rent) and I said 36 was an unlucky number so better 35k which she accepted. Some 20 minutes later she came around with 4 cooked fish for me so I asked why. Because you are a good haggler she said. I have since had 5 more 6 month contracts and she has never put the rent up. I don't know if it has made any difference but I always pay the next 6 months a week or so early so as to catch her off guard. When you suddenly pull out 35k in crisp new 1000 Baht notes it seems to help.

I don't really know how this is news unless they can get 100% stands officially registered and with posted price boards. I'm not in Bangkok that often but most of the motorcycle taxi stands I have used have a board with prices on them. Yes one does need to know how to read thai, I usually just point to where I want to go on the board so there is no argument about price. If you are going further than 1km they are generally more expensive than a metered taxi and they do this because you get there faster. Short distance are good value. We live in Thailand, we can't expect everything to be in English.

WHY

Negotiate with them, if you can count in Thai, first thing i learnt

Same here.

If you can haggle in Thai you will almost certainly get a lower price. Some years back I managed to gaggle the price for 6 months rent with the landlady who speaks no English. We got down to 36k (for 6 months rent) and I said 36 was an unlucky number so better 35k which she accepted. Some 20 minutes later she came around with 4 cooked fish for me so I asked why. Because you are a good haggler she said. I have since had 5 more 6 month contracts and she has never put the rent up. I don't know if it has made any difference but I always pay the next 6 months a week or so early so as to catch her off guard. When you suddenly pull out 35k in crisp new 1000 Baht notes it seems to help.

Six months for 35k baht. Sounds like luxury. How many other units do you have to share the toilet and shower with?

Edited by aguy30

And when are tuk tuk prices going to be monitored? They're the worst of the lot, according to my memory.

How about banning tuk tuks completely? Most drivers seem to be low life scum. Most charge as much and probably more than a taxi. Weren't they supposed to banned many years ago?

Edited by aguy30

Most motorbikes I've taken in bangkok have had fare boards for yonks.

Agreed. Just that most farangs don't notice.

Went from nana to soi 33 last week via motorbike taxi 80 baht. Took a meter cab back it was 60 baht.

Motorbike taxis are no cheaper than real taxis just quicker in traffic.

in the Sukhunvit area. Just left a pub or bar where beers are B140 and complain about a few baht to get home?

Edited by VocalNeal