Amazing Thainess

Gonzo the Face

Its the law of the land for those on motorcycles to wear a helmet. Many choose to disregard this law and not wear it & ride with the helmet in the basket. Even risking a fine.

It is not the law of the land to wear a face mask. Many choose to put on &wear the face mask when on a motorcycle but with the helmet still in the basket.

TiT

Gonzo,

Seriously? I've never seen it. How do they get the face mask over the face without the helmet? Or are you just pulling our collective leg?

He's talking about the paper face masks, I think.

Poor old Gozo, you think too much buddy. ;)

• Like 2

It's an absurd law to begin with, only requiring the driver and not the passengers to wear the helmet, even if the passengers are 3 or 4 children and/or infants. Really makes me wonder how much the Thais love their children.

Sorry to get serious Gonzo...................

• Like 2

What I dislike about those idiot baskets is that they are right under the headlight.

Many's the time a phantom object has passed me, going in the other direction, with the headlight totally blanked out by their shopping.

A half decent bike has a hook inside where a bag can be hooked on.

M/cycles are risky enough to drive at night, let alone do it when you can't be seen.

• Like 2

It's an absurd law to begin with, only requiring the driver and not the passengers to wear the helmet, even if the passengers are 3 or 4 children and/or infants. Really makes me wonder how much the Thais love their children.

Over the years I've been ticketed 3 times for having an un-helmeted passenger on my motorcycle. 400 baht each time.

• Like 1

Over the years I've been ticketed 3 times for having an un-helmeted passenger on my motorcycle. 400 baht each time.

That gave me pause also...... Anybody know for sure which way is it...... all riders must have helmet or only the driver.....

Any expert on Thai law out there????

• Like 1

That gave me pause also...... Anybody know for sure which way is it...... all riders must have helmet or only the driver.....

Not an expert but recently on Pantip dot com it was a big discussion.

Seems the law is now solid since December 2013 if I remember right.

In any case.........They do ticket for it now

PS: In a case where driver has helmet & passenger does not it is

the driver who gets the ticket.

PSS: As to your original observation of some wearing a mask but

no helmet.... Could be they may risk no helmet at times when they feel hot

or safe from the usual police check spots but, They can never escape the stinky smoke

belching from Tuk Tuk's & Lor Daengs smile.png

Edited by mania

Since we are onto Thainess, little off topic but still in Thainess zone.

The lake/park where i take my dogs, they usually have huge water trucks to water the trees and grass.

It has been raining on almost daily basis, yet the truck is still there watering the trees and grass, hours after the rain stopped

Brought it up with my GF, whose response was "well he is working" Fair enough.

30 mins later, we get home, she picks up the hose and starts to water all the plants. Keep in mind it rained heavily the night before.

Not an expert but recently on Pantip dot com it was a big discussion.

Seems the law is now solid since December 2013 if I remember right.

In any case.........They do ticket for it now

PS: In a case where driver has helmet & passenger does not it is

the driver who gets the ticket.

PSS: As to your original observation of some wearing a mask but

no helmet.... Could be they may risk no helmet at times when they feel hot

or safe from the usual police check spots but, They can never escape the stinky smoke

belching from Tuk Tuk's & Lor Daengs smile.png

Whats the excuse for bank tellers to wear the mask and mumble through it, so customers can hardly understand?biggrin.pngtongue.png

• Like 1

Here's the latest in child safety.

post-111567-0-79920400-1403576478_thumb.

Like you I often think of stuff like this as Thai-ness, and when I lived in Spain the Brit expats would talk/write about 'Typical Spanish'- but strangely, the things idiots do in our own country were never described as 'Typical British' !!

Maybe that would imply an unacceptable degree of self-criticism!

Just a random thought.....

With regard to the helmet and why not wearing it, just ask any Thai and many Falangs and the answer. while both sides , to themselves may acknowledge that its not the real reason, just seem to accept a given reason,as it appears better than the truth. While people want and expect the truth , sometimes its is just better to create a new truth. Maybe face has something to do with it..... I don't know. But I thought of something that sort of reminds me of the truth as it is...... or the truth as others want to make it appear. Which is better. I had to go back into my archives and dig this out, but it seems to fit..... at least to me...

a little Johnnyism

My Favorite Animal
Our teacher asked what my favorite animal was, and I said, "Fried chicken."
She said I wasn't funny, but she couldn't have been right, because everyone else laughed.
My parents told me to always tell the truth. I did. Fried chicken is my favorite animal.
I told my dad what happened, and he said my teacher was probably a member of RSPCA
He said they love animals very much.
I do, too. Especially chicken, pork and beef. Anyway, my teacher sent me to the principal's office.
I told him what happened, and he laughed, too. Then he told me not to do it again.
The next day in class my teacher asked me what my favorite live animal was.
I told her it was chicken. She asked me why, so I told her it was because you could make them into fried chicken.
She sent me back to the principal's office. He laughed, and told me not to do it again.
I don't understand. My parents taught me to be honest, but my teacher doesn't like it when I am.
Today, my teacher asked me to tell her what famous person I admired most.
I told her, "Colonel Sanders." Guess where I am now...

brilliant - luv it!!!

I always wondered why bother with the helmets here at all and why enforce it.

Most fatal accidents combine speed, rain, drink, winding road, passengers, and striking with impact the proverbial immovable object.....with the odd other vehicle some times. Why not tackle licenses first....and then drunk driving....then excessive speed....to try and stop accidents in the first place?

I don't think the 499 Baht helmet models are life savers and more likely to produce a slice of plastic through your skull, then it takes yonks to get an ambulance...then you go to a Thai hospital (woe to thee in the countryside). I am starting to think that for some Thais there is no care factor as there is no consequences...."next life", while for me it is "game over".

Edited by mamborobert

I always wondered why bother with the helmets here at all and why enforce it.

Most fatal accidents combine speed, rain, drink, winding road, passengers, and striking with impact the proverbial immovable object.....with the odd other vehicle some times. Why not tackle licenses first....and then drunk driving....then excessive speed....to try and stop accidents in the first place?

I don't think the 499 Baht helmet models are life savers and more likely to produce a slice of plastic through your skull, then it takes yonks to get an ambulance...then you go to a Thai hospital (woe to thee in the countryside). I am starting to think that for some Thais there is no care factor as there is no consequences...."next life", while for me it is "game over".

You are being terribly Western and logical sir!

When my late mother was in hospital, they put her in a ward next to the brain injuries ward. The patients were not capable of feeding themselves or much else.

I told my friend about this, and he's been very good about using a helmet since then.

It's not only Thailand I'm afraid. My students in Indonesia would drive home after the final lesson at 9pm and leave their helmets hanging on a strap. Their excuse was 'the police have all gone home'. Asian logic?

Maybe in the west we use some sort of reverse logic, knowing that we'll get fined like crazy and lose demerit points if we do these things.

Its all a farce.

One thing that really gets me:

We just had a pre-term baby that needed to stay in the NICU for a while. Everyday, I drove from just south of the old city around the south west corner to get to the hospital on Suthep Rd. 3 or 4 times a day I would get stopped and asked about my license. Most of the time I would ask them what I did wrong and the answer is always to the same "random check". Somehow, I am randomly checked every time. They let me go pretty quickly when they realize there's no money coming out of my pocket. About 3 weeks in, I decided that I would just my license in my hand and flash it at the officers when they start to wave me in. It worked pretty well. And now since the coup, I've only seen them out there 1 time.

What really annoys me is that they set up about 9 am to check for licenses. They know full-well, that if they set up 1 hr earlier, they would have to write tickets for the hundreds of kids driving to school in the morning with no license. But I suppose there is no money there, at least no cash in hand. Either that or they would have to drive their own kids in every morning and evening.

If they really wanted to enforce the law, it would be easy. Unfortunately, it really seems to be more about the cash...

• Like 1

Here is another somewhat strange thing that I have noticed. Drivers here, when pulling over to pick up someone; to drop off someone; to just run into a shop to pick up something; or if you believe in miracles, just pull over to use the hand phone, WILL 90% of the time not pull over at a curb if there is a driveway they can block by stopping in front of. ..... and I repeat 90% is not far off. Is it just that if you need to go in or out this driveway, you have to ask them to move ??? Strange but true. Interesting life here

So do the new wave of tourists.... Stop on a scooter in the middle of an intersection to read a map. Don't actually pull over to the side or find a safe place to stop...

Here is another somewhat strange thing that I have noticed. Drivers here, when pulling over to pick up someone; to drop off someone; to just run into a shop to pick up something; or if you believe in miracles, just pull over to use the hand phone, WILL 90% of the time not pull over at a curb if there is a driveway they can block by stopping in front of. ..... and I repeat 90% is not far off. Is it just that if you need to go in or out this driveway, you have to ask them to move ??? Strange but true. Interesting life here