How does rent work in Bangkok?

I am having a discussion with my Thai girlfriend on the apartment that she got for us while I was in America. She's trying to explain the situation to me, but her English isn't so great.

The deal is this. It's a small studio apartment that lacks a kitchen. I'm fine with it. The place is brand new so it does look nice. The outside looks run down though.

We have to pay electric, water, and rent. She's been in the apartment for a few weeks now. She had to put down 22,000 baht when she first moved in. Now, the monthly rent including water/electricity is only 7,000-7,500 baht. The monthly cost depends on how much water/electricity we use.

Why did she have to put down 22,000 baht? Do they request a first month and last month rent deposit? Is this common practice in Bangkok?

Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I guess my concern is the 22,000 baht. Does that seem a little high to pay upfront?

Maybe it's 7,000 baht for the first month, 7,000 baht for the last month and 7,000 baht for security?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Usually one pays one month rent in advance, and (depending on landlord) one or two months security deposit.

When you say security deposit are you talking about 1-2 months rent?

Usually one pays one month rent in advance, and (depending on landlord) one or two months security deposit.

When you say security deposit are you talking about 1-2 months rent?

Yes, and rent usually is without the costs for electricity and water.

You will be deducting utilities from the last months utility bill. I bet electricity will be higher, per Kilowatt hour. Just do not pay your last months rent (as it has been retained for that purpose) nor your last utility bill. It will not seem so bad.

Edited by slipperylobster

This is quite normal. I've rented 4 places in Bangkok and always paid one month rent in advance and the equivalent of two months rent as a deposit. So, I rent for 30,000 a month and pay 90,000 when I move in. 30,000 for first month rent and 60,000 deposit. The deposit is returned when you leave, after deducting any outstanding bills. So paying 22,000 in your case seems about right. 7K rent and 15K deposit. You don't pay the last month's rent until the beginning of the last month.

I recall when we rent, we paid 3 month on the beginning.

First month and 2 month security or 3 month security, I can't recall.

But for 6.500 per month we got a nice house, good to make an office with staff and living there. With some aircons installed. Phone, Electric, Water everything on us.

But a bit outside "Samut Prakarn".

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I guess my concern is the 22,000 baht. Does that seem a little high to pay upfront?

Maybe it's 7,000 baht for the first month, 7,000 baht for the last month and 7,000 baht for security?

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Why don't you just have her email you a copy of the rental agreement....maybe they even have one in english? It should explain all the cost up front...mine does.

You have a Thai girlfriend, living here in Thailand, and you are complaining that she doesn't speak much English. Are you serious? You have a Thai girlfriend, living here in Thailand, why don't you learn to speak Thai?

If you took your girlfriend to the US, would you speak thai to her? NO, so learn to speak her language in her country.

• Like 1

You have a Thai girlfriend, living here in Thailand, and you are complaining that she doesn't speak much English. Are you serious? You have a Thai girlfriend, living here in Thailand, why don't you learn to speak Thai?

If you took your girlfriend to the US, would you speak thai to her? NO, so learn to speak her language in her country.

Maybe he is learning Thai. It can be difficult for Westerners to learn, so maybe he doesn't know enough Thai to converse yet. But it doesn't mean that he's not learning Thai. You are making assumptions without any evidence.

I'd be interested to know if landlords commonly don't refund the full security deposit, like in the USA, where landlords, can always say the place wasn't clean, and keep part of the security deposits..

I believe one difference in how things work, is in the US, I don't recall ever paying for "water", and I pay my power bill in my own name to the utility, not the landlord, I also think it is uncommon in the US, to require 2 months deposit, + "security", 1st and last I think is typical.