CON-MAN in Kanchanaburi

All things considered I would say OP has done alright. By the sounds of it he gave all the 500+k up front, without going down the usual route of paying a deposit and the balance on transfer at the land office (or a contract) and still got the land he paid for (all be it with 70k extra). Believe me OP doing something as daft as that could have ended a F*#k sight worse!

Edited by JeremyBowskill
  • Like 1

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you say is true, but you are making some assumptions that may not be true. How do you know he mentioned the war veteran status in order to facilitate the sale? Maybe he mentioned it in passing and had nothing to do with the sale...

How do I know he mentioned veteran status? A simple read of the Op will provide you with this from the OP. (my bolding).

"...but I was only new to Thailand and trusted him as he passed himself off as a War veteran and an English Lord stating that he would look after me as I was a fellow veteran."

...You seem to be suggesting that war veterans and lords are more trustworthy than the general population. I don't think they are. So I don't see how that is relevant. ...

Acting as a veteran is a ruse often used by conmen as a method of gaining the trust of their target especially when their target is a veteran. A veteran creates a certain image in the minds of people, usually engendering trust and respect, more so when the veteran is older.

Nowhere does the OP say that the seller mentioned that he was a war veteran in order to sell the land more easily. But even if you're right, the OP has the land registered in his Thai wife's name. So he's paid for the land and the transfer is complete. So where exactly is the con? The OP got what he paid. A con suggests that he paid for the land but then didn't get it. But he has it. He even has electricity. The seller didn't want the electricity crossing his land, but neither would most people. The seller agreed to sell the land. Nowhere does the OP mention that there was an additional agreement to bring the electricity lines across the seller's land. But electricity was available another route, and that seems quite normal to me. i.e. get your electricity without crossing anyone else's land. And the OP also has access to his property. The seller has never denied access to the property.

So to sum up, seller sold and buyer bought land at an agreed price. Land transferred to buyer's wife's name. Electricity connected. Access available. Only other issue is the 70K baht for the transfer. Buyer agreed to this. He could have refused or made sure there were no extra fees before agreeing sale.

So, what exactly is the problem here?

And one more thing. The OP claims other buyers were fleeced but provides not details or evidence of this. So how do we know it's true? Sounds like buyer's remorse to me. If he did indeed pay to much for the land, then why didn't his wife say anything? She is Thai, so should have some idea of prices. But I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned so far that the wife is in fact the one that conned him. That's the usual suggestion on here isn't it?

Edited by ldnguy
  • Like 1

Nowhere does the OP say that the seller mention that he was a war veteran in order to sell the land more easily. But even if you're right, the OP has the land registered in his Thai wife's name. So he's paid for the land and the transfer is complete. So where exactly is the con? The OP got what he paid. A con suggests that he paid for the land but then didn't get it. But he has it. He even has electricity. The seller didn't want the electricity crossing his land, but neither would most people. The seller agreed to sell the land. Nowhere does the OP mention that there was an additional agreement to bring the electricity lines across the seller's land. But electricity was available another route, and that seems quite normal to me. i.e. get your electricity with crossing anyone else's land. And the OP also has access to his property. The seller has never denied access.

So to sum up, seller sold and buyer bought land at an agreed price. Land transferred to buyer's wife's name. Electricity connected. Access available. Only other issue is the 70K baht for the transfer. Buyer agreed to this. He could have refused or made sure there were no extra fees before agreeing sale.

The con is that Lord XXXX pretended to be a veteran to engender trust in himself, telling the OP that as a veteran he would look after him. Instead of looking after him he sold land at an inflated price and added spurious charges. In other words he tricked him into paying too high a price. That is what con men do. They deceive.

Is any of that so difficult for you to understand?

Unlike yourself or Bowskill, I do tend to have sympathy towards people, often older people, who give their trust to others and are taken advantage of.

Nowhere does the OP say that the seller mention that he was a war veteran in order to sell the land more easily. But even if you're right, the OP has the land registered in his Thai wife's name. So he's paid for the land and the transfer is complete. So where exactly is the con? The OP got what he paid. A con suggests that he paid for the land but then didn't get it. But he has it. He even has electricity. The seller didn't want the electricity crossing his land, but neither would most people. The seller agreed to sell the land. Nowhere does the OP mention that there was an additional agreement to bring the electricity lines across the seller's land. But electricity was available another route, and that seems quite normal to me. i.e. get your electricity with crossing anyone else's land. And the OP also has access to his property. The seller has never denied access.

The con is that Lord XXXX pretended to be a veteran to engender trust in himself, telling the OP that as a veteran he would look after him. Instead of looking after him he sold land at an inflated price and added spurious charges. In other words he tricked him into paying too high a price. That is what con men do. They deceive.

Unlike yourself or Bowskill, I do tend to have sympathy towards people, often older people, who give their trust to others and are taken advantage of.

Personally the more I read this the more I think its just plain trolling! I find it near impossible to believe anyone would hand over such sums of money without having anything to show for it. Assuming it is true and not trolling, very stupid and lucky to get anything at all.

• Like 1

What evidence do you have or has the OP presented that shows that too much was paid for the land? None. And who is to judge how much is too much? Land and property is often sold at what many think/claim to be be inflated prices. Neither you or the OP give any details at all. It is all supposition, assumptions and paranoia. You have found the seller guilty without a shred of evidence. Shameful.

Maybe you're not familiar with the idea that there are two sides to every story. Maybe seller would say he agreed to sell land, but then the buy had the barefaced cheek to demand he run electricity cables across his land when it was available elsewhere. Maybe the seller would also claim to not really care much about good relations with the buyer because he's accusing him of being a conman. Maybe the seller will say he tried to get the right jacket for the Anzac parade but couldn't and had to resort to a school blazer. Maybe the seller will say he is in fact a war veteran and that the buyer is lying bout him not being one. We don't know do we. But you're assuming everything the OP says is true. I don't know either way, as I've only heard one side. But even hearing one side, it's obvious that sale has been recorded properly and the OP/his wife and now legal owners of the land.

Edited by ldnguy

The solution to this is simple.

Rent your new house and land out for 6 months for absolute peanuts to a group of male technical college students, preferably ones who enjoy a good motorbike race on a Friday and Saturday night - plenty of tats is always a good option. - They are a 'in nightmare to live next too - within a few months your English lord will have upped sticks and left, or be at his wits end and want them gone.

If the 'lord' has gone proceed to option a) if not go to option b.

a) Keep their rent tucked away in a bank account for the six months - don't spend it. At the end of the rental period offer then the rent in return for getting out quickly. They will take it super quick with many appreciative wais and smiles - thinking you are crazy??

b. Offer the land for sale back to the English lord at an inflated price, if he disagrees continue to rent to aforementioned students he will continue to live a miserable life. If he agrees go to option a (at the correct time - once he's signed the papers and transferred the cash.)

The worse the people renting the property the worse his life will be.

Yup great idea, have a bunch of idiots wrecking your property and making it even more worthless. Just about the dumbest suggestion yet!

Alternatively, move in, move on and live happily ever after.

Problem is he may not be able to move in if access to the property is gated and controlled by the lord.

The seller has never denied access, and there's nothing at all to suggest he will.

What evidence do you have or has the OP presented that shows that too much was paid for the land? None. And who is to judge how much is too much? Land and property is often sold at what many think/claim to be be inflated prices. Neither you or the OP give any details at all. It is all supposition, assumptions and paranoia. You have found the seller guilty without a shred of evidence. Shameful.

Of course we will not see any hard evidence because of naming and shaming laws.

I have taken the OP and what he has written at face value.

For yourself, you have taken up the plight of a 'wrongly accused' Lord XXXX with such gusto and passion that I am starting to believe you might be a little Lord yourself tongue.png

The solution to this is simple.

Rent your new house and land out for 6 months for absolute peanuts to a group of male technical college students, preferably ones who enjoy a good motorbike race on a Friday and Saturday night - plenty of tats is always a good option. - They are a 'in nightmare to live next too - within a few months your English lord will have upped sticks and left, or be at his wits end and want them gone.

If the 'lord' has gone proceed to option a) if not go to option b.

a) Keep their rent tucked away in a bank account for the six months - don't spend it. At the end of the rental period offer then the rent in return for getting out quickly. They will take it super quick with many appreciative wais and smiles - thinking you are crazy??

b. Offer the land for sale back to the English lord at an inflated price, if he disagrees continue to rent to aforementioned students he will continue to live a miserable life. If he agrees go to option a (at the correct time - once he's signed the papers and transferred the cash.)

The worse the people renting the property the worse his life will be.

Yup great idea, have a bunch of idiots wrecking your property and making it even more worthless. Just about the dumbest suggestion yet!

Alternatively, move in, move on and live happily ever after.

Problem is he may not be able to move in if access to the property is gated and controlled by the lord.

The seller has never denied access, and there's nothing at all to suggest he will.

If he did I would build the ugliest <deleted>*#in bridge you ever did see from my property to the main road. Seeing as its all a load of nonsense though, this will never be needed!

Beats me why anyone would even think about buying land here. It all seems to be just endless scams and lies and deceit, with no clear planning laws protecting the innocent or penalising the dishonest. Not to mention that as a farang you cant even own it in your own name anyway.

As for buying from an "English Lord", I wouldn't trust anyone in Thailand who purports to be one of those. I wouldnt trust war veterans, ex-SAS members, ex-CIA agents, lawyers, "businessmen" and "advisers" and "agents" etc here either. I fact I think the best plan when it comes to money here is just not to trust anyone at all.

Where would the 70 million Thai people live if they didn't buy land and property? My GFs family have bought and sold lots of land over the years and never been scammed. There are clear planning laws here and laws to protect buyers and sellers. The vast majority follow the buying and selling laws for land and property. It's all very clear.

The OP bought for his Thai wife, so is in a Thai's name. No scam at all. Land bought and transferred into her name. What can be clearer than that. She hasn't been scammed at all. She has got the land she wanted registered in her name. That's how it works all over the world.

I was writing from the point of view of a farang. This should have been clear. Unlike many other countries in the world foreigners may not legally purchase land here. That much at least is clear in Thai law.

Whatever Thai wives and girlfriends do is up to them, and farangs have no reason to be involved. In fact the law specifies that they should not be involved and that the Thai person(s) should be financing the purchase with their own funds.

For yourself, you have taken up the plight of a 'wrongly accused' Lord XXXX with such gusto and passion that I am starting to believe you might be a little Lord yourself tongue.png

is it so hard to believe anyone on this site or in Thailand could afford 32 pounds? http://www.lordtitles.co.uk/?gclid=CNiI84Ohkr8CFVUMjgod1xAAKA

If he has no registered company or work permit, you could rat him out to immigration but in my book that would make you worse than him.

Not in my book.

The myriad farangs working or doing business here without proper permits or just living here illegally are all simply law-breakers as far as I'm concerned. As they break immigration and labour law daily it should not be surprising if they are willing to break other laws to, or to act in a generally dishonest fashion.

is it so hard to believe anyone on this site or in Thailand could afford 32 pounds? http://www.lordtitles.co.uk/?gclid=CNiI84Ohkr8CFVUMjgod1xAAKA

Lord Jeremy?

Beats me why anyone would even think about buying land here. It all seems to be just endless scams and lies and deceit, with no clear planning laws protecting the innocent or penalising the dishonest. Not to mention that as a farang you cant even own it in your own name anyway.

As for buying from an "English Lord", I wouldn't trust anyone in Thailand who purports to be one of those. I wouldnt trust war veterans, ex-SAS members, ex-CIA agents, lawyers, "businessmen" and "advisers" and "agents" etc here either. I fact I think the best plan when it comes to money here is just not to trust anyone at all.

Where would the 70 million Thai people live if they didn't buy land and property? My GFs family have bought and sold lots of land over the years and never been scammed. There are clear planning laws here and laws to protect buyers and sellers. The vast majority follow the buying and selling laws for land and property. It's all very clear.

The OP bought for his Thai wife, so is in a Thai's name. No scam at all. Land bought and transferred into her name. What can be clearer than that. She hasn't been scammed at all. She has got the land she wanted registered in her name. That's how it works all over the world.

I was writing from the point of view of a farang. This should have been clear. Unlike many other countries in the world foreigners may not legally purchase land here. That much at least is clear in Thai law.

Whatever Thai wives and girlfriends do is up to them, and farangs have no reason to be involved. In fact the law specifies that they should not be involved and that the Thai person(s) should be financing the purchase with their own funds.

Yes, but the farang can give his gf/wife money, and then she can use those funds, which are then her own, to purchase the land. That is legal and very clear. What's not allowed is the farang using his wife/gf to purchase land on his behalf. So any land purchased is then legally hers.

Many farangs make Thailand their home and of course many are going to want land to build a house. Not ever farang wants to live in a condo, especially those with families. So it's quite easy to understand why they buy land, usually in their wife/gf's name. If I get around to building a house here, I'll also buy in my gf's name. It's only money and you can't take it with you when you die. So best to use it, enjoy it an stop worrying. In the West, many men spend far more on their wives than a farang buying his gf a house here does. I suspect you worry too much about money.

Lord Jeremy?

See myself more of a Barron really.

• Like 1

If he has no registered company or work permit, you could rat him out to immigration but in my book that would make you worse than him.

Not in my book.

The myriad farangs working or doing business here without proper permits or just living here illegally are all simply law-breakers as far as I'm concerned. As they break immigration and labour law daily it should not be surprising if they are willing to break other laws to, or to act in a generally dishonest fashion.

In the case of the OP, the seller was a Thai and the buyer was a Thai. OP says he bought from an Englishman, but later says his wife had to do he transfer, so seems obvious that land belonged to her. So Thai to Thai sale. Both Thai women probably happy with the deal, but farangs complaining.

Not in my book.

In the case of the OP, the seller was a Thai and the buyer was a Thai. OP says he bought from an Englishman, but later says his wife had to do he transfer, so seems obvious that land belonged to her. So Thai to Thai sale. Both Thai women probably happy with the deal, but farangs complaining.

Not to mention, against the law in the first place to buy land using farang money but somehow we all turn a blind eye to that naughty bit of law bending by OP!

I haven't taken up the seller's case. I am just pointing out that from what the OP has said everything has been carried out in line wit the law. I don't see any evidence of a con. I also thing that when he says things like other people have also been fleeced, he hopes to get the sympathy of people like you, but in reality he hasn't given an evidence at all. If there is evidence of others being fleeced, then he at least owes us some explanation of how many others and how he thinks they have been fleeced. Then he goes on about access that's never been denied. There is no real evidence of a con at all.

Reality: Farang gives Thai wife money. Thai wife buys land from Thai woman. Both Thai women (seller and buyer) appear to be happy, as OP hasn't said otherwise. OP is making mistake of assuming he bought the land, when in fact he didn't. His wife bought and the land and paid for it with her own money, which was a gift from her husband. All above board and done according to Thai law. The "lord' can't have cheated the farang, because he didn't sell anything to the farang. The farang hasn't bought anything. This is a Thai to Thai transaction. Farangs not involved in deal. No con, no cheating.

Suggest you check and land registry to confirm old and new owners. As you believe the OP, then you must agree with what I said. He has confirmed it's a Thai to Thai deal. So no problem here. If he really thinks it's a con, then he should report it to the police as anyone would in any other country. But he doesn't have any land, so can't have bought it, so can't have been cheated.

Edited by ldnguy

I haven't taken up the seller's case. I am just pointing out that from what the OP has said everything has been carried out in line wit the law. I don't see any evidence of a con. I also thing that when he says things like other people have also been fleeced, he hopes to get the sympathy of people like you, but in reality he hasn't given an evidence at all. If there is evidence of others being fleeced, then he at least owes us some explanation of how many others and how he thinks they have been fleeced. Then he goes on about access that's never been denied. There is no real evidence of a con at all.

Reality: Farang gives Thai wife money. Thai wife buys land from Thai woman. Both Thai women (seller and buyer) appear to be happy, as OP hasn't said otherwise. OP is making mistake of assuming he bought the land, when in fact he didn't. His wife bought and the land and paid for it with her own money, which was a gift from her husband. All above board and done according to Thai law. The "lord' can't have cheated the farang, because he didn't sell anything to the farang. The farang hasn't bought anything. This is a Thai to Thai transaction. Farangs not involved in deal. No con, no cheating.

Suggest you check and land registry to confirm old and new owners. As you believe the OP, then you must agree with what I said. He has confirmed it's a Thai to Thai deal. So no problem here. If he really thinks it's a con, then he should report it to the police as anyone would in any other country. But he doesn't have any land, so can't have bought it, so can't have been cheated.

Heavens! That the purchase might be in the OPs wife's name is irrelevant.

You make an incredible amount of unrelated and irrelevant arguments and points in all your posts to try and save some face. This must be because you are trying to provide a smokescreen to back up your POV or maybe it is your habit to be a contrarian.

You also keep harping on about no evidence of a con yet it clearly points to a scam. You can read my previous posts again for that info.

So some old bloke told you he was a Lord, and a war veteran, but now developing moobaans in Thailand. You then proceeded to hand over cash to him with no contract and without even so much as checking the market price of land in the area, or getting the name of his company (which apparently does not exist)?

Did you take a few bullets to your head during your service?

• Like 1

Heavens! That the purchase might be in the OPs wife's name is irrelevant.

You make an incredible amount of unrelated and irrelevant arguments and points in all your posts to try and save some face. This must be because you are trying to provide a smokescreen to back up your POV or maybe it is your habit to be a contrarian.

You also keep harping on about no evidence of a con yet it clearly points to a scam. You can read my previous posts again for that info.

Can you please explain to me how agreeing a price on some land, paying the money for it and then having it transferred to your name (or your wife's name) is a scam? He paid for the land and has now got it. I still don't see how getting the land you paid for is a scam. If you're referring to the price, then that's up to buyer and seller. Sellers routinely ask for more than their land or property is worth in the hope of getting a better deal. That's not a scam, that's good business sense.

But if it is a scam, then either the man or his wife can report this to the police, as they seem to be working overtime these days. The OP also claims to know other people that were fleeced, so why don't they get together and report this person. Why come on here and complain, when the police should be involved. If it's obvious to you that it's a scam then it should be obvious to the police. I would certainly report a scam, if just to protect other people in the future.

Edited by ldnguy

He used the fact that I was a veteran to befriend me as a new person to Thailand and state that he would help me. I did not know the price of land and trusted him as a friend.

I find it odd that you didn't have a bit of job-related discussion that would have immediately given him away as a walt.

• Like 1

Not a mention of a lawyer or any due diligence during the purchase of the land that I have read. Had there been a lawyer this would never have happened as access to land and property is the first thing they check.

Not a mention of a lawyer or any due diligence during the purchase of the land that I have read. Had there been a lawyer this would never have happened as access to land and property is the first thing they check.

But would a lawyer have checked whether the seller was a war veteran? I've never heard of them checking that, and that's the only problem with this sale. Buyer has the land in his wife's name, the house built, electricity connected and access to his land. Whether the seller is a war veteran seems to be the only issue.

Yes, but the farang can give his gf/wife money, and then she can use those funds, which are then her own, to purchase the land. That is legal and very clear. What's not allowed is the farang using his wife/gf to purchase land on his behalf. So any land purchased is then legally hers.

Many farangs make Thailand their home and of course many are going to want land to build a house. Not ever farang wants to live in a condo, especially those with families. So it's quite easy to understand why they buy land, usually in their wife/gf's name. If I get around to building a house here, I'll also buy in my gf's name. It's only money and you can't take it with you when you die. So best to use it, enjoy it an stop worrying. In the West, many men spend far more on their wives than a farang buying his gf a house here does. I suspect you worry too much about money.

I dont worry about money at all, thanks. I have plenty. What I do give some thought to is hanging on to my money and not letting some scam artist of whatever nationality separate me from it. And God knows there are plenty here who try.

You can do what you like with your money, of course, and good luck to you.

Not in my book.

The OP wasn't clear at all. I saw what appeared to be a reference to a company transaction.

Either way I know that by law I cant own land here and that's good enough for me not to try and break that law or to get involved in any sort of land purchase or sale.

• Like 1

The said person has been around for sometime, pretending to be a Lord. Think he is fairly well known in Kanchanaburi. I can't post a link due to name and shame, there is FB page which has him dressed up in full military uniform, and numerous postings about his scams. Probably not good for him to return anytime soon

• Like 2