Thailand has potential to become digital innovation hub

webfact

As we know, the new Thai generation is very technology savvy,

Yesterday I went to Banana IT, the Truemove shop, AIS shop and 3 mobilephone shops in Tuckom, in my quest to find a 3G aircard to which I could connect an external antenna. I know ZTE had such a device in the past.

None of them understood what was an external antenna coffee1.gif

They may only be familiar with the antannae of the powerful gt200 bomb sniffer. Now that's high tech. Maybe Thailand is the hub of sniffing devices.tongue.png

post-64939-0-67804200-1403581897_thumb.j

Thailand is woefully behind other countries in the region. Before I moved to LOS and was regularly sourcing offshore developers for clients not once did I come across a Thai programmer.

Vietnamese and Malaysian developers are excellent, and you get some strong Filipinos but never Thai. It's a shame for them as the top level guys can easily be commanding $50 an hour and still be cheaper than a western freelancer.

They probably should consider sorting out internet speeds if they really want to be a "digital hub".

Fitting that on the anniversary of Thailand's military coup in 1932 that changed Thailand to a constitutional monarchy from an absolute monarchy, that they have the potential to be a "digital hub." Mind boggling array of events.

Thailand is woefully behind other countries in the region. Before I moved to LOS and was regularly sourcing offshore developers for clients not once did I come across a Thai programmer.

Vietnamese and Malaysian developers are excellent, and you get some strong Filipinos but never Thai. It's a shame for them as the top level guys can easily be commanding $50 an hour and still be cheaper than a western freelancer.

They probably should consider sorting out internet speeds if they really want to be a "digital hub".

Thailand actually has a reasonable supply of programmers and software developers. What Thailand lacks is reasonable internet connectivity due to a poor international gateway and governmental monitoring and a steady supply of venture capital for startups. Until these are fixed, there will be no Silicon Valley in Thailand. Why would anyone want to come to Thailand for an IT startup, when Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore and Vietnam are already lightyears ahead of Thailand?

Yesterday I went to Banana IT, the Truemove shop, AIS shop and 3 mobilephone shops in Tuckom, in my quest to find a 3G aircard to which I could connect an external antenna. I know ZTE had such a device in the past.

Maybe because with a 3G aircard you don't need to connect it to an external antenna, even if you live upcountry it would not work outside the main towns. SO why would you want to connect it to an external antenna? Even in Thailand things have moved on from that type of aircard.

But if you really need that option look at the Dtac aircard (21mbps) it has a micro connector for what I think is an external antenna! lift the cover from the aircard and there is a small grey cover prize it open and you will see a connector for an antenna.wai2.gif

Edited by ggold

Let me know if you find one. I've had no success.

Something Thailand isn't the hub of.

• Like 1

Maybe because with a 3G aircard you don't need to connect it to an external antenna, even if you live upcountry it would not work outside the main towns. SO why would you want to connect it to an external antenna? Even in Thailand things have moved on from that type of aircard.

But if you really need that option look at the Dtac aircard (21mbps) it has a micro connector for what I think is an external antenna! lift the cover from the aircard and there is a small grey cover prize it open and you will see a connector for an antenna.wai2.gif

Things have moved beyond this kind of aircards ? ZTE had this aircard on the market in Thailand only a year ago, hardly old news I would say.P10305461w.jpg

This is the 4G version of it, also from ZTE, or do you want to say that 4G is also old news ZTE-MF821-External-antenna-connector-TS-

Now the antenna is very useful if yu have a weak reception signal.

Edited by JesseFrank

Another ' hub ' story.

The world truly does revolve around Thailand not the sun.

Centuries ago, before Alexander the Great, Thais put the thumb in front of their eyes and cannot see the Sun.

Thus, the Sun does not exist

Reminds me of a certain bird in another country that does the same thing in sand or soft soil.

Thais are utterly self absorbed in their Thainess and cannot be any other way.. until they eat a big slice of humble pie.

Which they will eat when their pocket books hurt.

Thais will not even think about changing, mending or improving.their behaviour.

That is why they "underdeveloped" thanks to ginormous amounts of foreign investment and foreign know-how.

So, they are copiers, assemblers and followers of others. So what? They are Thais and oh, so special! Look at the way Farangs continue sending money our way. Get the point?

Things have moved beyond this kind of aircards ? ZTE had this aircard on the market in Thailand only a year ago, hardly old news I would say.P10305461w.jpg

This is the 4G version of it, also from ZTE, or do you want to say that 4G is also old news ZTE-MF821-External-antenna-connector-TS-

Where is it made? Is that a patented Thai innovation?

Where is it made? Is that a patented Thai innovation?

Probably made in Taiwan, but last year widely available in Thailand. ZTE is the biggest company in the world regarding aircards.

Edited by JesseFrank

I seem to remember that Thailand was primed to become an innovative digital software hub a few years ago. What happened?

Nothing happened.

Thais are not intellectually curious or proactive.

If they were, they all would speak English as it is the case of Philippines and Singapore, for instance.

Thais are followers, copiers and assemblers.

When the "powers that be" crack the whip and says so, they will comply.

Ah, the wonders of Thainess!

Ah ok you got me, I was thinking you meant the older type of aircard you can slot into a laptop aircard port. Have the same problem up country. But you could buy a signal booster, there are 3G booster available wifi mode so you don't need the external antenna, (had one of those) It does depend on how close you are to the mast. But again if you are in the middle of nowhere like me, then are you sure you can get a 3G signal. I can only get Edge GPRS because they don't have 3G bandwidth throughout the whole country despite the adds claiming so. Still waiting for 3G to come to my area.

A lot of negative postings but mostly that post in this post have no ideals about a digital hub or what the CEO is trying to explain.

OK, I don't believe Thailand will ever be a digital hub as I have been 24 years in Thailand in the IT sector and for the past 10 years in the Mobile industry.

I prefer just to make my money out of Thailand with my company in Singapore. When I introduce a World Cup App to the 3 mobile operators in Thailand nobody give really a damn so I was forced to do a deal with Google Play, BlackBerry, Nokia and Apple. I did do deals with telco's in the APAC region but I left out Thailand completely.

If you don't have access to a CEO who might really want to assist but you are stuck with some junior managers you just don't wate your time dealing with them.

As for me our apps in 34 languages is available in 59 countries (but not in Thailand) and we generated 790,000 downloads in the past 2 weeks.

Business is great but also I have been in Thailand for 24 years I just don't want to waste my time on twenty meetings just to hear I don't know.

DTAC, True and AIS are very much Thai as they have the Thai junior management that are unable to make decision. I prefer to deal with Telefonica, Vodafone, AT&T and Hutchisnon 3G who can make a decision on a conference call and I don't have to fly even down to meet them.

Good shot to the CEO of DTAC but its time to change the junior management and put a Farang in charge and then things can move forward.

funny article

so more people get a smartphone and use facebook all day, and that makes them more savvy ??????????????????????

if somchai sees : red light : add oil ... he problably will go to the petrol station

Look, why doesn't Thailand just become a COMEDY Hub, and have done with it?

I think you have summed up the entire thread of comments on this banal article. Now the entire Thai media has become banal and pointless why engage with any of it.

I have no further desire to make any comment on any News story.

Fortunately I am not living in Thailand.

• Like 1