poor trade in price's

i recently went to several new car dealers to trade in my top of the range fiesta sports against a new pick up and the most i was offered was 325000 baht, my fiesta is only 2and a half years old with 30000 klms on the clock, in my opinion this is'nt a very good price at all and i was wondering if anybody else has had similar experiences, by the way still have fiesta if anyone is interested in buying it.

The dealer is giving you a very bad quote for your car. That is the price of a top of the line in amazing condition 2007 Honda City AT with 120000K, I sold last year....and I sold it fast to a private reseller.

I'm about to face this when I get back in a week or so.

I've asked the missus to ask one of these second hand car dealer places first. We have a Chevrolet optra 1.6L 2006 with around 100k on it. I would be very surprised if we were to fetch over 100k for it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I asked them (used car tent) to value what they will give me for my 10 year old Isuzu D Max towards the purchase of a new Mitsubishi Triton. They offered me 270,000 which I was happy with as I paid (from a used car dealer) 400,000 four years ago.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Part -exchange is a new concept in Thailand as the second hand market grows - until recently it was an equipment market so PX wasn't an issue.

The normal procedure for a main brand dealer is to get a local second-hand guy in who will simply give you the price he's pay anywhere for the car... the main dealer and second-hand operate almost entirely individually.

If you go to on of the better second-hand dealers, you'll find they can offer MUCH better PX deals as they are selling both vehicles in the end.

HOWEVER - the main dealers are becoming increasingly aware that they are now in a replacement market and you will probably notice that TOYOTA have a western-style second-hand dealership "SURE{" next to most of their outlets now.

The main problem is however that ALL new car dealerships are essentially a CARTEL and price-fixing is the name of the game - if they want to keep their suppliers and stay in business they have to tow the line so discounts, PX's and other market forces don't really operate in Thailand.

• Like 1

I was offered recently 350,000 for my well cared for 2010 Triton 4x4 3.2. Pretty disgusted when I was looking at a pajero sport 4x4 at about 1.3m .

Think I am going to wait and Nissan will be getting an order for the new Navara next month and I will sell the Mitsubishi private.

The dealer is giving you a very bad quote for your car. That is the price of a top of the line in amazing condition 2007 Honda City AT with 120000K, I sold last year....and I sold it fast to a private reseller.

It's a Honda not a ford and the market was a sellers market then , not a buyers market flooded with repos and people desperate to sell before the car is repoed.

I've asked the missus to ask one of these second hand car dealer places first. We have a Chevrolet optra 1.6L 2006 with around 100k on it. I would be very surprised if we were to fetch over 100k for it.

Well it is a Chevrolet after all. Should have bought Toyota... I recently off loaded a 13 year old Sportrider for 300k. Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

We have an Optra as well, newer model. Trying to sell, it's our 3rd car. Brand new engine, about 3000km. It's bad timing as now all the failed financing returns from the government's first car program. So prices for second hand cars seem to normalize as in the rest of the world. Which is a good thing.

If we can't sell it, we just keep using it. Car ownership is cheap after all and this one has LPG. So no reason to throw it away for cheap.

Well it is a Chevrolet after all. Should have bought Toyota... I recently off loaded a 13 year old Sportrider for 300k.

The Sportsrider is a bit of a classic and sought after, I doubt a 13 year old bog standard Hilux would have fetched that kind of money.

Well it is a Chevrolet after all. Should have bought Toyota... I recently off loaded a 13 year old Sportrider for 300k.

The Sportsrider is a bit of a classic and sought after, I doubt a 13 year old bog standard Hilux would have fetched that kind of money.

Really...darn, I should have held out for more!

my dad was a holden dealer in australia, it is not a thailand only thing , it is the same all over the world .

the dealers have to make a profit and your car , no matter the condition may be hard to turn over.

why would he give a trade in price that is near what he can resell it for.

rob

Used car prices in Thailand were very strong for many years, the reason for that is the low cost of maintenance and parts.

But since the government launched its new car discount scheme the the bottom has fallen out of the market, the problem is, far too many nearly new vehicles out - OP, selling your vehicle privately is the only sensible way to go.

Well the missus has just got back from the dealers, they offered us between 120-130k.

Used car dealer offered 80k.

Doesn't mean they value it at 120-130. They are simply factoring in some discount off the new vehicle that you would have got anyway on a straight out purchase with no part ex. Main Agents often receive less for trade ins at auction than they have allowed for them on paper. Meanwhile the punter "thinks" he has got a good deal and is happy.

Source: used to work for a main agent in the UK.

Edited by Lancashirelad

The dealer will sell it on to one of the tents selling second hand cars. Best to sell if yourself privately (highest price) or if more convenient to a tent directly.

Stevenl is right, try to sell it your self. Dealers do the same in the US, but a bit more sly- they pretend to give you a fair trade in price, but actually they are not giving you the full discount for a new car purchase.

my dad was a holden dealer in australia, it is not a thailand only thing , it is the same all over the world .

the dealers have to make a profit and your car , no matter the condition may be hard to turn over.

why would he give a trade in price that is near what he can resell it for.

rob

Because you factor that in against the leeway you have on the price of the new car........ many trade ins are just sold at auction for whatever they can get....the profit margin is on the new vehicle....all a trade is in reality is a symbol for a discount.

Well the missus has just got back from the dealers, they offered us between 120-130k.

Used car dealer offered 80k.

Mind sharing which dealer gave you the quote of 120k baht? My personal experience is similar, trade in to agent fetches better price than selling to 2nd hand car dealers.
  • Like 1

No idea what the OP is expecting to get ?

Just look at some on-line sites, Top Model 1.6 Sport at 2 1/2 years old sell around 350,000 baht, for the hatch 5 door, and 330,000 baht for the saloon 4 door..

On a different note.. notice each year there appears to be more and more car dealers/tent areas springing up.. they have to keep these cars up-to-date with tax etc, and some cars have noticed sit for 2 or 3 years without being sold, lots of the long time un-sold cars get washed most days + have been reduced in price so, are being sold at less than they were bought for 2 or more years ago..