Italy vs Uruguay - Tues 24 June, 11:00 pm, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

Italy's better goal difference means that they only need a point against Uruguay to qualify for the last 16.

Italy coach Prandelli is under pressure to get his strikers firing and his team scoring more goals. Because of this he is likely to recall Ciro Immobile to the starting line up. Daniele De Rossi is likely to miss out through injury.

Uruguay will be full of confidence following the defeat of England in their previous group game. Luis Suarez is set to continue his remarkable return to fitness from a knee injury which saw him confined to a wheel chair less than 1 month ago.

Prandelli has called this game the most important of his career. This one isn't to be missed to see who will qualify from Group D along with Costa Rica (didn't think we'd be saying that at the start of the tournament).

His head movement etc. certainly supports the bite claim.

i think i'm right in saying that Fifa doesn't operate a retrospective punishment system so condemnation may be all he will face but i'm very happy to stand corrected if other posters have more accurate information.

I sincerely hope English fans don't use this to deflect from their team's inept performance as it didn't matter to their position, they were out no matter what Suarez got up to.

You think there is a certain panic within the LFC organization now?

I just read on Sky Sports FIFA actually can sanction a player up to 2 years for these things.

Don't know about sanctioning him but better to section him under the mental health act instead.

Luis Suarez is set to continue his remarkable return to fitness from a knee injury...

...and gum disease and made a remarkable recovery.

In his defence, I thought it was shoulder to jaw.

Suarez shouldn't be banned from the rest of the World Cup for such trifling matters, he's far too good for that.