More youngsters run up huge phone bills playing Cookie Run

webfact

"AIS has agreed to waive some Bt600,000 racked up by an 18-year-old boy in Mae Sot, Tak province."

In most societies and 18 year-old is considered an adult. However, in Thai society he's mommy's little boy, no matter how old he is, and doesn't have to take responsibility for any of his actions.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

Ridiculous comment.

At least with my 3 year young daughter playing Talking Tom on her ipad

Ridiculous comment???...since when a 3 year old Girl need an IPad?....don't you see who is really being ridiculous here????

What is wrong with parents these days? Jeez!

all phone companies need to put out public statements that if it happens to you it is your own damn fault for not having 2 brain cells to rub together. They need to add it as a foot note to all statements for a month. And never waive it again. Make people pay for being idiots...

"AIS has agreed to waive some Bt600,000 racked up by an 18-year-old boy in Mae Sot, Tak province."

In most societies and 18 year-old is considered an adult. However, in Thai society he's mommy's little boy, no matter how old he is, and doesn't have to take responsibility for any of his actions.wai2.gifwai2.gifwai2.gif

"doesn't have to take responsibility for any of his actions"

He's learning Thainess...

<

Love the article: "a bill worth Bt596,398". So does that mean that she could sell the bill for this amount? Or hold it and wait for its worth to further appreciate?

I love the copy-paste English phases here. Something "is valued at" when actually it's "priced at". A bill has "worth" although it's just a statement of an amount.

And I am sure if you were to write a newspaper article in Thai it would be grammatically perfect. rolleyes.gif

These scams seem to be the modern equivalent of the 0898 number scam in the UK 20 years ago (or is it more!). The fault lies totally with the phone companies and the game developer. For the chap who bought his 3 yr old an ipad and uploads her 5000 credits be warned, this situation will be coming to you sometime soon ;) Try cuddling up and reading her a story, it is much more fun and will be a lot lot cheaper in the long term. Patterns of behaviour are set as a norm in the early informative years of life and fuelling a compulsive gaming habit so early on is asking for trouble.

And the great and wonderful internet hustle continues, laws need a way to keep up with internet hustle's.

I think the waving of fees is a distraction, just the fact that it is possible to wrack up bills of this magnitude so quickly on a kids game is absurd in my view.

It might be worth considering if the intent of the law banning both drugs and gambling should apply to these games as well, both often pull you in with free tasters, get you hooked and then fleece you for your money damaging both the individuals and those around them. Though I am personally in favour of freedom of choice provided people are educated enough to choose for themselves the target here is often children and perhaps it is worth consideration that this should be classified under the same intent or a variation of the laws on drugs or gambling.

In most societies and 18 year-old is considered an adult. However, in Thai society he's mommy's little boy, no matter how old he is, and doesn't have to take responsibility for any of his actions.

Good for you. This "child" should at a minimum lose his voting rights and any driving licence he has, for insisting he be treated like a very young child. I completely agree.

Every single time I walk past the desk of the building manager in my building, she is playing computer games. When I jokingly said I would tell her boss, she said " he plays just as much if not more than me "!!facepalm.gif . What a dumbing down of the population.sad.png

What exactly do these people buy with this game for it to cost this amount of money?

Edited by Asiantravel

<

Love the article: "a bill worth Bt596,398". So does that mean that she could sell the bill for this amount? Or hold it and wait for its worth to further appreciate?

I love the copy-paste English phases here. Something "is valued at" when actually it's "priced at". A bill has "worth" although it's just a statement of an amount.

And I am sure if you were to write a newspaper article in Thai it would be grammatically perfect. rolleyes.gif

I don't see that as a valid argument in any discussion, but if I were to write for a leading Thai newspaper I'd make damn sure that I get the writing right.

Ridiculous comment.

At least with my 3 year young daughter playing Talking Tom on her ipad

Ridiculous comment???...since when a 3 year old Girl need an IPad?....don't you see who is really being ridiculous here????

What is wrong with parents these days? Jeez!

You are useless if you don't have the slightest idea what a 3 year old (young) can achieve/learn with an ipad, I won't expand so you could use your brain yourself whistling.gif

But no one really NEEDS an ipad, lucky those who have.

Edited by tartempion

??? This is even more ridiculous than the last story and at 18 years old you should know what you are doing. No doubt this is a scam run by Line, AIS should stop allowing for in game payments to be made through the phone bill. If you want to play, use a credit card or buy a prepaid one.

'... AIS has agreed to waive some Bt600,000 racked up by an 18-year-old boy in Mae Sot, Tak province The boy did not realise he was spending real money ...'

I'm sorry? He's eighteen? Yet didn't know how this game worked? Perhaps it's time he found a job, part time or otherwise, and tried spending some time in the real world.

Today I found 2,800baht missing from my account. Turns out, because my credit card is attached to my Play account, it was charged when my 5 y.o. clicked on some of the pop-ups.

Funny thing, when you search the internet, it only seems to be happening in Thailand. I expected to see lots of results and perhaps some consumer groups in the US or Europe making complaints. I have to wonder if Line and other game makers adjust these things per country based on consumer protection.

For anyone interested, here is a link that tells how to password protect in-app purchases so little hands cannot accidentally charge your credit card:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1626831?hl=en