Getting the first 90-Day O visa for Retirement

OK, I realise these queries can be a series of to-and-fro so I'll try to be as clear as possible. I'm referring to the one-time 90-day visa, not the 12-month O-A visa that I eventually hope to get.

1. I'm over 50 and I have the deposit

2. Currently have two accounts with Krungthai - a THB bank account and an FCD account containing AUD - neither is anywhere near the 3-month seasoning requirement but the 90-day visa should take care of that

3. Recently got the 30-day extension to my Tourist Visa - scheduled to leave the country on 26/7/2014 but happy to get on a plane anytime from July 1

4. Hoping to make another trip outside Thailand before I get the 90-day visa - at this stage, said trip would end in Penang with my application for the visa

My questions are:

a. I'm assuming I can get the 90-day visa in Penang - please advise

b. Does all of the money have to be in Thai baht or is it sufficient to show a combination of funds in the Krungthai accounts totalling >800k Thai baht. My guess is that Immigration wont be so keen on this given that exchange rates change daily, but I like having AUD in a Thai bank for reasons I wont go into here. If I'm going to convert those dollars into baht, now seems like the right time to do it.

I accept that the last one is tough given the varying interpretations each Consulate seems to have on visa requirements, but my past experience with Penang is that most things are possible as long as the right 'agent' has your paperwork.

Thanks in advance.

Having the money in a FCD account at a Thai bank is acceptable.

Dependent upon where you live you could go to your local immigration office and do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. The money just has to be in the bank to do this. It only has to be in the bank for 60 days when you the extension of stay (it is not a visa of any kind).

Having the money in a FCD account at a Thai bank is acceptable.

Dependent upon where you live you could go to your local immigration office and do a change of visa status from a tourist visa to a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. The money just has to be in the bank to do this. It only has to be in the bank for 60 days when you the extension of stay (it is not a visa of any kind).

Thanks ubonjoe - I thought I could get the 90-day at Jomtien but since I want to take a trip anyway Penang seemed like a good option. Kudos for the incredible effort you put into this forum.

"... the 12-month O-A visa that I eventually hope to get. "

That is a visa that you get in your home country. There is no requirement to ever have an O-A Visa. Most don't.

It sounds like what you want is just a simple 1 year extension of the single entry Non O you plan on getting in Penang.

"... the 12-month O-A visa that I eventually hope to get. "

That is a visa that you get in your home country. There is no requirement to ever have an O-A Visa. Most don't.

It sounds like what you want is just a simple 1 year extension of the single entry Non O you plan on getting in Penang.

OK - thanks - I guess I'm just taking it one step at a time as I'm going to need that 90-days to meet my seasoning requirement for the 800K.

I did notice a middle-aged Farang women working at Jomtien - dont know Robert but I'll be sure to name drop if I have any issues. I got the distinct impression that most of the staff are more interested in getting people sorted and on their way than throwing up roadblocks, but I'm sure I'll find out soon enough if that's a naive first-timers impression.