Performance Chips and ECU Controllers

I'm starting this thread to aid others in the understanding of Chips and Controllers, what they can & can't do, different makes and models for certain results etc.

So I'll start by asking:

Does anyone know anything about the D Commander D3000 for the Toyota D4D?

I'm still searching for a speed shop, parts, anything. I'm just not searching correctly or most of the places rely on word of mouth in Thai. I'm sure a visit to the drag strip in Bangkok would turn up some answers. I believe a major problem with chips/controllers here is that most and best are manufactured in the US and most of our engines are not available in the US. If I remember one of the big diesel re-programers was an organization named Bully Dog or something like that. I'll send email to friend in the states that had his big Ford King Ranch 350 programed, maybe a lead there. I know they work, first hand.

I did find K&N dealers, all in Bangkok. FAST CORNER 396/14-15 NARATIVAJ RACHANAHARIN ROAD, CHONGNONSE, YANNAWA, BANGKOK 10120 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

NP MOTO COMPANY, LTDBuy OnlineInstaller 333/1 LARDPRAO SOI PIBOON-UPATHUM, HUAYKWANG, BANGKOK 10310 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

WORLDTECH ENGINEERING CO., LTD. 3/64 MOO 2,CHALOEMPHRAKIAG RATCHAKAN, THI 9 ROAD. PRAWET, BANGKOK 10250 Thailand mailto:[email protected]

• Like 1

From a previous thread on (Pick-Up trucks and realistic fuel consumption) this thread prompted me to start this one:

Spoonman posted:

How does a chip raise the top end speed... does it over ride the factory speed limiter as well?

From a previous thread on (Pick-Up trucks and realistic fuel consumption) this thread prompted me to start this one:

Spoonman posted:

How does a chip raise the top end speed... does it over ride the factory speed limiter as well?

I think it increased the rpm?

Someone with the early D4D engine could actually help me out here in some further investigations...

I'll go home soon (having lunch) and when I get home I'll floor it in neutral and see what it rev's up to...

If someone else can do the same I'd appreciate it

Cheers

If it matters

I have a 2005 Fortuner D4D Turbo

Spoonman posted:

I think it increased the rpm?

Someone with the early D4D engine could actually help me out here in some further investigations...

I'll go home soon (having lunch) and when I get home I'll floor it in neutral and see what it rev's up to...

If someone else can do the same I'd appreciate it

Cheers

If it matters

I have a 2005 Fortuner D4D Turbo

Careful you don't throw a rod eh. Your tack shows a red line for max RPM..........whistling.gif

Plus, an unloaded engine will rev to the limitations of the valve springs/gear.

Edited by transam

D Commander D3000 ... Google doesn't seem to know anything either. Stick a Racechip in. 185kph ... that is quite some speed for an old banger ... maybe not a good idea to do it too often. Did the doors stay shut?wink.png

I've seen some set-up programmed full size diesel trucks on the strip in America. Awesome! They would blow the doors off most cars. 185 kph is only 115 mph. If the steering, tires and suspension is good, shouldn't be a problem. I never was able to run my '02 SS to top speed, shifted to 6th gear at 152 and always ran out of empty highway.

• Like 1

Adding to that comment,

I know it used to get up to 160kmph before the speed limiter kicked in

Since the Commander install it goes up to 185kmph

On the runway of the old Chiang Rai airport of course wink.png

Your vehicle never had a 160km/h speed limiter but ignoring that how does a piggy back chip raise this speed limiter to 185km/h ?

I found the "Racechip" site. Pretty food information. They say their chip cannot reset speed limiter. The site and products look good but a bit expensive if you ask me, especially postage to here. http://www.racechip.com/

Depends what you want. Racechip is a basic power add-on for those overtaking maneuvers, not to turn a truck into a drag ride. I paid 129e to do what l wanted and not over-stress the motor...thumbsup.gif

D Commander D3000 ... Google doesn't seem to know anything either. Stick a Racechip in. 185kph ... that is quite some speed for an old banger ... maybe not a good idea to do it too often. Did the doors stay shut?wink.png

LoL

Hey! You leave off my baby [emoji173]️

She's no old banger, she's done me proud over all the years

Only 125k on the clock

To be honest I worry more about the tyres at that speed!

Edited by Porkster

Adding to that comment,

Your vehicle never had a 160km/h speed limiter but ignoring that how does a piggy back chip raise this speed limiter to 185km/h ?

How do you know it didn't have a rev/speed limiter to 160kmph? Where did you get this info from mate?

I don't know about the techy side of the commander, I just know what advantages I get from it...

I'm home now and on the way home when no one was around me I knocked it into neutral and floored it, 4,600 rpm and steady.

It's definitely limited because there's no "bouncing effect" or that could just be because it's a diesel, this is the first diesel I've owned.

The red line on the dial starts at 4,400 rpm.

So if someone with a standard D4D could do the same I'd be interest to know the rev limit is, though I'm guessing it won't be the same, where else would you get the extra top end speed from unless you start changing diff's or gearbox ratios... That's for track racers, not me.

Plug n play is good enough for me.

Adding to that comment,

How do you know it didn't have a rev/speed limiter to 160kmph? Where did you get this info from mate?

I don't know about the techy side of the commander, I just know what advantages I get from it...

I'm home now and on the way home when no one was around me I knocked it into neutral and floored it, 4,600 rpm and steady.

It's definitely limited because there's no "bouncing effect" or that could just be because it's a diesel, this is the first diesel I've owned.

So if someone with a standard D4D could do the same I'd be interest to know the rev limit is, though I'm guessing it won't be the same, where else would you get the extra top end speed from unless you start changing diff's or gearbox ratios... That's for track racers, not me.

You talk D4D so I assume it is a Hilux/Vigo. They do have a speed limiter but it is north of 160km/h.

I really recommend you DO NOT free rev your engine like that and whilst on that subject you are changing tact from speed limiter to rev limiter which if it did have a rev limiter it would bounce on it, not rev cleanly past it.

You really do seem to be lacking in technical knowledge. How did you go with the D Commander website... I still cannot find it.

Adding to that comment,

You talk D4D so I assume it is a Hilux/Vigo. They do have a speed limiter but it is north of 160km/h.

I really recommend you DO NOT free rev your engine like that and whilst on that subject you are changing tact from speed limiter to rev limiter which if it did have a rev limiter it would bounce on it, not rev cleanly past it.

You really do seem to be lacking in technical knowledge. How did you go with the D Commander website... I still cannot find it.

Spoonman,

I have no doubt that I'm going to be accused of having a "caustic attitude" now but I can't put it in another way as I just don't get what you're about, apart from you being a disgruntled pisstaker...? I have no other explanation...

Are you not reading my posts again or what?

You still haven't learnt to read & digest have you???

Post #4... You need to scroll up to see it.

I wrote I have a 2005 Fortuner Turbo and I wrote it several times on the "Pick-ups and realistic fuel consumption" thread also, those posts that you replied to and obviously didn't read properly beforehand...

But anyway, to answer your question, YES, the D4D Fortuner engine is exactly the same engine as a Hilux/Vigo engine.

I've just been chatting online to my mate in the UK (works for Shitroen... I mean Citroen) and he agreed with what I thought I knew alread;

That a Diesel engine would never have that bouncing effect like petrol engines do because they don't respond in the same way, it's all about the components weighing so much due to the heavy build design to cope with the high compression and diesels are just built like tanks.

Anyone that knows the simples about engines knows full well that a diesel will never respond as quick as a petrol, unless it has smaller pistons and a shorter stroke...

You really do seem to be lacking in technical knowledge when it comes to Diesel engines, which as an electrician I find quite easy to understand.

But I do deal with a lot diesel generators at work, which is where I leant what I do actually know.

When you refer to the speed limiter, do you really mean the governor?

Or is there something your beating around the bush at and not letting on to? can you just be a straight shooter and more specific please.

If you know something about the D4D and it's "speed limiter" or how it works let's hear it so we can all share the knowledge.

It is a forum after all, not a game show or competition.

Added to that, it's a Diesel engine, so it can take the full throttle no load without a problem, we do it at work with generators all the time to test the spark arrestors... The chief engineer says "it's perfectly alright and does no harm at all, it's good for 'em actually as diesels love a good scream to clear their lungs & guts, gets the soot out".

Never go against the chief's word

Cheers

Edited by Porkster

In modern computer controled engines, diesel included, a speed control device is usually a rev limiter in the computer. Fighting over sematics. They can be overcome. That being said, I would not reccomend revving the engine to max rpm unloaded. That is a job for the dyno operator. I remember when the 'speed control' device was a stop under the fuel pedal. Hack saw took care of that.

Spoonman,

I have no doubt that I'm going to be accused of having a "caustic attitude" now but I can't put it in another way as I just don't get what you're about, apart from you being a disgruntled pisstaker...? I have no other explanation...

Are you not reading my posts again or what?

You still haven't learnt to read & digest have you???

Post #4... You need to scroll up to see it.

I wrote I have a 2005 Fortuner Turbo and I wrote it several times on the "Pick-ups and realistic fuel consumption" thread also, those posts that you replied to and obviously didn't read properly beforehand...

But anyway, to answer your question, YES, the D4D Fortuner engine is exactly the same engine as a Hilux/Vigo engine.

I've just been chatting online to my mate in the UK (works for Shitroen... I mean Citroen) and he agreed with what I thought I knew alread;

That a Diesel engine would never have that bouncing effect like petrol engines do because they don't respond in the same way, it's all about the components weighing so much due to the heavy build design to cope with the high compression and diesels are just built like tanks.

Anyone that knows the simples about engines knows full well that a diesel will never respond as quick as a petrol, unless it has smaller pistons and a shorter stroke...

You really do seem to be lacking in technical knowledge when it comes to Diesel engines, which as an electrician I find quite easy to understand.

But I do deal with a lot diesel generators at work, which is where I leant what I do actually know.

When you refer to the speed limiter, do you really mean the governor?

Or is there something your beating around the bush at and not letting on to? can you just be a straight shooter and more specific please.

If you know something about the D4D and it's "speed limiter" or how it works let's hear it so we can all share the knowledge.

It is a forum after all, not a game show or competition.

Added to that, it's a Diesel engine, so it can take the full throttle no load without a problem, we do it at work with generators all the time to test the spark arrestors... The chief engineer says "it's perfectly alright and does no harm at all, it's good for 'em actually as diesels love a good scream to clear their lungs & guts, gets the soot out".

Never go against the chief's word

Cheers

It is really simple. You stated before you fitted your chip gadget your vehicle was speed limited to 160km/h. After the magic box was fitted the speed limit was raised....

I cannot dumb it down anymore than that. can you pleas explain how the speed limit was raised.

Good to hear you are asking advice from qualified mates in the UK on subjects you are clearly clueless about.

Edited by Spoonman

If you have a Racechip posted here then you won't pay VAT, so it's about 108Euro + 45 Euro postage. However you have to arrange with Racechip not to pay VAT ...you can't order online and get it VAT free ... their system cant' deal with that.

I'm organizing delivery to the UK and a friend will bring it here.

Don't believe their huge claims of increased Torque/HP etc ... it just won't happen.

• Like 1

In modern computer controled engines, diesel included, a speed control device is usually a rev limiter in the computer. Fighting over sematics. They can be overcome. That being said, I would not reccomend revving the engine to max rpm unloaded. That is a job for the dyno operator. I remember when the 'speed control' device was a stop under the fuel pedal. Hack saw took care of that.

Ah, the good ol days when life and an engine was simple...

I'm going to the auto parts shop tomorrow (her son is a truck modify boy racer) and I'll quiz them about chips m ECU controllers & the "magical" D Commander...

I'll see what I can find out the Chevrolet for you, it's a 2.8 Duramax right?

Do you have any more details they should know or is that it's full model name?

Thanks, yep, Z71 2 wheel drive, 4 door, 6 spd auto. Really 'peppy' for a little diesel. Supposedly the 2.8 which replaced the 3.0 has more hp and torque and better milage. Fuel mileage varies, I've got a heavy foot, although I've 'learned' to slow down. Have a funny story about that, some cops are pretty good guys, like to think I was. Will PM you with it if you want. Too much chance somebody from up here will recognize me, knows 'the wife' will learn too much...lol. Yes, the good 'ol days. I used to climb in the engine bay to work on my beefed up '79 Chevy PU. Well, attempt to work would probably be a better description...lol. At least I could change the plugs. Thanks Jas, good info. Too bad they say they don't have a chip for my vehicle. Hopefully I will get a response from the 3 authorized K&N dealers here and their prices aren't so pang.

• 2 weeks later...

The guys to see are AVO Turbo down in Sattaheep, couple of Aussie guys, very good, got all the gear, everyone I have sent there has been happy, they do Subaru rally teams turbos and other stuff like that. pm me for details, the just did a mates 200sx with a nissan sr20 to get it to run on e85 for drifting.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...