American Breakfast in CM

connda

I don't believe anyone could do a reasonable cooked breakfast under 120 baht +  and make money.

You're wrong, Sausage King do a great English cooked breakfast for 99bht, including tea or coffee.
Best in CM, for a fraction of the usual price. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Chiang Mai Expats Club (CEC) has a Coffee Morning social gathering twice a month on the first and third Friday of the month, 10 am - 12:00 noon at River Market Restaurant -- run by the same folks at The Dukes. They offer a breakfast buffet that's a great value at 220 baht for CEC members and still a good value at 270 baht for non-members.

The buffet includes a nice omelette (maybe not as cheesy as a Denver omelette, but pretty close), nice thick pieces of ham, great thick, peppery sausage links, and a sausage gravy to die-for. There are biscuits that aren't quite American-style. Really more like British scones. There's other stuff, too, including fried rice that's got lots of veggies and eggs. I've come to like a plate of that fried rice with the American style sausage gravy ladled on top. Talk about fusion cuisine! All very low cal, I'm sure.

I should probably mention these Coffee Mornings are about much more than just food. Usually about 50 people gather and talk. It's a great opportunity to meet new people and for newcomers to ask questions about expat life.

You'll have to wait a while for the next CEC Coffee Morning, though. It won't be until Friday, July 18, at 10 am. Normally, there would be a chance to chow down, American-style (with Thai touches) on Friday, July 4, but River Market is planning a little community celebration on that day and the normal CEC Coffee Morning is cancelled.

It must have changed,
Last time I went it was English cut bacon, no ham, no biscuits, no gravy, the usual Thai attempt at scrambled eggs (stir fried in oil in a wok).
Sausages and bread was good, but English style.
More of an English breakfast IMHO.
The Thai food was totally inedible.

There been much that has changed about the Chiang Mai Expats Club in the past few months. Time to give it another try.
  • Like 1

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

Chicken Fried Steak Breakfast

Maybe something like this ????

For starters that is

I know that some people would love this breakfast, but those 'sunny-side up' eggs just about make me want to gag. 
I've learned one phrase for eggs:  ow kai suk suk maak.  And I still sometimes get them runny at which point I smile and politely ask to talk with the English speaking waitress and tell her to have them cooked until you can bounce them off the grill.   That must be some oddity I inherited from my father who absolutely hated runny eggs.  If fact, I like my sauces on the side in a small bowl and the only runny thing I want on my plate is melting cheese.  But thanks for the picture and suggestion.  I'm sure someone would love to eat that pictured breakfast.

Well, you are surely welcome........ and many someones seem to like it.....  some choose eggs over, or over easy, or even scrambled.   But to each his own.

I rather like my fried eggs 'sunny-side up' so I can mop 'em up with the toast. As Gonzo says, that's why you order 'em 'sunny side up', 'over easy' 'over hard' (gag!) whatever. I expect he's trained his staff to understand the many nuances of American eggology.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

For starters that is

I know that some people would love this breakfast, but those 'sunny-side up' eggs just about make me want to gag. 
I've learned one phrase for eggs:  ow kai suk suk maak.  And I still sometimes get them runny at which point I smile and politely ask to talk with the English speaking waitress and tell her to have them cooked until you can bounce them off the grill.   That must be some oddity I inherited from my father who absolutely hated runny eggs.  If fact, I like my sauces on the side in a small bowl and the only runny thing I want on my plate is melting cheese.  But thanks for the picture and suggestion.  I'm sure someone would love to eat that pictured breakfast. 

Well, you are surely welcome........ and many someones seem to like it.....  some choose eggs over, or over easy, or even scrambled.   But to each his own.  

That looks like a fantastic breakfast. However, I've been here many years but still can't fathom why two pieces of lettuce, a couple of slices of tomato and slices of cucumber are added to a meal that just doesn't want it. Add french fries or beans or fried mushrooms or even some black pudding, but salad... on a cooked breakfast xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

• Like 1

The little cafe by Rimping in the new Maya mall has a nice breakfast set going:   Two eggs, sausage, ham, toast, orange juice, and coffee for a whopping 59 baht.    

I'd love to see a photo of that and find out what is in the orange juice. Plenty of places would charge 60 baht for a proper glass of fresh orange juice.

Chiang Mai Expats Club (CEC) has a Coffee Morning social gathering twice a month on the first and third Friday of the month, 10 am - 12:00 noon at River Market Restaurant -- run by the same folks at The Dukes. They offer a breakfast buffet that's a great value at 220 baht for CEC members and still a good value at 270 baht for non-members.

The buffet includes a nice omelette (maybe not as cheesy as a Denver omelette, but pretty close), nice thick pieces of ham, great thick, peppery sausage links, and a sausage gravy to die-for. There are biscuits that aren't quite American-style. Really more like British scones. There's other stuff, too, including fried rice that's got lots of veggies and eggs. I've come to like a plate of that fried rice with the American style sausage gravy ladled on top. Talk about fusion cuisine! All very low cal, I'm sure.

I should probably mention these Coffee Mornings are about much more than just food. Usually about 50 people gather and talk. It's a great opportunity to meet new people and for newcomers to ask questions about expat life.

You'll have to wait a while for the next CEC Coffee Morning, though. It won't be until Friday, July 18, at 10 am. Normally, there would be a chance to chow down, American-style (with Thai touches) on Friday, July 4, but River Market is planning a little community celebration on that day and the normal CEC Coffee Morning is cancelled.

It must have changed,
Last time I went it was English cut bacon, no ham, no biscuits, no gravy, the usual Thai attempt at scrambled eggs (stir fried in oil in a wok).

There been much that has changed about the Chiang Mai Expats Club in the past few months. Time to give it another try.

Actually Nancy I have been going off and on ever since they started it.

It has always had Bacon American style.   I have never been to England so possibly it is English style Bacon also.

The sausage has not been consistent. It how ever has always been very good. Made from pork the same as in the states. Some times the sizes vary in length and diameter. Also lots of ham.

Can't ever remember seeing scrambled eggs. Every time I was there and that is about half the time + it was omelets.

So yes I could have missed out on the scrambled eggs.

Can't say about the Thai food as I hardly even look at it. Most people don't pay that kind of money for a Thai breakfast any how.

Seems to me they have recently added biscuits and gravy. I am not big on them so I tend to ignore them. They I think are more of a southern style dish. Possibly English as I said I have never been there. Had an English breakfast at the red lion once was not impressed with it. I can see why an Englishman might not be impressed with an American breakfast.

The little cafe by Rimping in the new Maya mall has a nice breakfast set going:   Two eggs, sausage, ham, toast, orange juice, and coffee for a whopping 59 baht.    

I'd love to see a photo of that and find out what is in the orange juice. Plenty of places would charge 60 baht for a proper glass of fresh orange juice.

What is in the orange juice at Pun Pun (and most places) is a boatload of sugar. I'd say it's more of a Thai glass that a "proper" glass of fresh orange juice. So I tell them to skip it.  Don't really need the salad either, but it is still an awesome breakfast. 

Forgive me for not reposting the photo of Pun Pun's superman breakfast. I figure five times is enough.

CFSuper12Jun13.jpg

For starters that is

That looks like a fantastic breakfast. However, I've been here many years but still can't fathom why two pieces of lettuce, a couple of slices of tomato and slices of cucumber are added to a meal that just doesn't want it. Add french fries or beans or fried mushrooms or even some black pudding, but salad... on a cooked breakfast xhuh.png.pagespeed.ic.6VcCaNwNXg.png

Yeah, maybe it gives it that, "I don't think we're in Kanas anymore Toto.", touch to it. 

***Real Farang Breakfast thai-style***

The jimmy dean sk makes has no msg or gluten as i asked them as i cannot eat myself. I went sk today for a breakfast and when i got their it was packed ? It was Indian Curry Buffet all you can eat,Boy it was good,4 Indian curry's incl naan and salad,So.I have a curry breakfast. Tomorrow they have Sunday Dinner buffet all you can eat 225 baht 3 course.I may go for try that if i can digest all the Indian curry first that i had today.smile.png wai2.gif

I was in the riverside restaurant the other night and noticed they have a half decent breakfast menu. but don't expect to get the breakfast you mentioned, but they might get close. real ham here is practically impossible to get, unless you go to rimping, but restaurants can not afford their prices.

Cheers Tony

• 2 weeks later...
A reminder that there's a very good breakfast buffet served at the CM Expats Club Coffee morning, which returns this Friday, July 18, 10 am - 12:00 noon at River Market restaurant. In recent months, CEC has the Coffee Morning twice monthly, but it was cancelled on July 4 because of a little party that booked out River Market.

The buffet is a great value -- 220 for CEC members, 270 for non-members. There are omelettes, nice thick pieces of real ham, thick peppery sausage links, sausage gravy and biscuits, bacon, make yourself toast, all the usual stuff to smear on your toast, plus a good fried rice with eggs and veggies. I know I'm forgetting to mention something. I like to ladle sausage gravy over fried rice for a fusion cuisine breakfast.

There's no program at this event. Just a chance to chat with old friends and make new friends in a pleasant setting along the Ping River, next to the Iron Bridge.

Regular attendees tell me the quality of both the buffet and the conversation have improved considerably in the past few months!

It must have changed,

Biscuits?

It must have changed,

Biscuits?

Pay no attention, cookie.  He's completely crackers. 

Edited by amexpat
  • Like 1

Yes, it's definitely changed, but I don't ever remember it being "English cut bacon, no ham, no gravy and eggs stir-fried in oil"

But, well, I did leave out the part about the biscuits. I don't know what to make of the biscuits. I'd appreciate input on the subject. They're not flakey, Southern U.S.-style soft dough biscuits, although the sausage gravy definitely is Southern-style pork sausage white sauce gravy flavored with black pepper. To me, what they're calling biscuits taste more like scones and they have little pieces of fruit in them. I can't image putting the sausage gravy on them. The "biscuits" are tasty, but by themselves, with jam and butter, not under the sausage gravy.

Yes, it's definitely changed, but I don't ever remember it being "English cut bacon, no ham, no gravy and eggs stir-fried in oil"

But, well, I did leave out the part about the biscuits. I don't know what to make of the biscuits. I'd appreciate input on the subject. They're not flakey, Southern U.S.-style soft dough biscuits, although the sausage gravy definitely is Southern-style pork sausage white sauce gravy flavored with black pepper. To me, what they're calling biscuits taste more like scones and they have little pieces of fruit in them. I can't image putting the sausage gravy on them. The "biscuits" are tasty, but by themselves, with jam and butter, not under the sausage gravy.

Biscuits are Crisco (or lard - even better), flour, salt, and double acting baking powder.  It's difficult to mistake good old Southern biscuits for anything but.  But...TIT. 

• 3 weeks later...

I like Bake and Bite and the peppermint, bake and bite has a set breakfast on the back of the menu and it has great choices, they cook the home fries with pieces of bacon although the regular bacon was a bit scarce, and you get a free refill of coffee for 220, Peppermint will accommodate whatever your wishes are and the cook is exceptional, they really try to please. euro diner is open at 7am if you are and early riser.

Sausage King - off by the side road after the lotus at Meechok junction. Difficult to find, but worth the effort. Google "sausage king, chiangmai" they have a map at their website.

T

No American breakfast there, English breakfast with choice of English or American cut bacon.
Don't get me wrong, the English breakfast is good, but it ain't American.

PS
Thai food is inedible, don't let your gf order any, she won't eat it.
Staff appear Burmese, no Thai staff as far as I can see, so hardly surprising they can't cook Thai food.

Funny that....

They serve Jimmy Dean Sausage with the American style breakfast.  Eggs, toast, butter, potatoes, coffee and american bacon.   Taste just like I eat in any restaurant in America !

I'm not a coffee drinker, but the only complaint I hear with the breakfast buffet at the CEC Coffee Mornings is that they set out little tiny coffee cups. If you ask at the bar, they can come up with a real mug that you can use for the coffee. They're mismatched, freebie mugs that look like sale reps have given them, but at least they hold the proper amount of coffee for breakfast.

The last few times I have attended the CEC Coffee Mornings, the breakfast has been excellent along with large coffee mugs and good coffee.  :-) 

I'm not a coffee drinker, but the only complaint I hear with the breakfast buffet at the CEC Coffee Mornings is that they set out little tiny coffee cups. If you ask at the bar, they can come up with a real mug that you can use for the coffee. They're mismatched, freebie mugs that look like sale reps have given them, but at least they hold the proper amount of coffee for breakfast.

The last few times I have attended the CEC Coffee Mornings, the breakfast has been excellent along with large coffee mugs and good coffee.  :-)

Oh, by all accounts the coffee's good at CEC Coffee Mornings. I'm not a coffee drinker, but I see K. Charn, the manager personally fussing over their super-high speed coffee maker. But, their standard coffee cup is more like a tiny tea cup.

Their large coffee mugs were something they scored from the American Express sales rep. And they only have about a dozen of them. Come to think of it -- every time Hubby goes to a district or countrywide Rotary convention he scores at least one Rotary coffee mug. Since Rotary meets at River Market, he's going to start donating them to enlarge their collection of decent-sized coffee mugs. Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1