Hard starting Yahama Noveu

willyumcr

I have a 2010 135 Yamaha Noveu. For some reason when it rains it is hard to start. I have replaced battery, spark plug, etc. I know if it sits for 3 days or so it is hard starting but rain?? Maybe just coincidence. Anyone else have similar trouble?

I had a 135cc Nouvo and it was very difficult to start if I ever left it more than 5 days without running it. It also seemed very sensitive to temperature - started better when it was warm - struggled in 'cooler' evening weather and in the rain.

I'm not sure - but I think the issue is the automatic choke - it's just not very effective. If it refused to start and the battery was drained trying - then there's no chance of kick-starting. But if I removed the plastic panels so I could get at the rubber trunking that leads from the air-box to the carb and give the pipe a good squeeze to act like a proper choke - then it would start first kick.

I eventually solved it by selling the bike and buying something that starts!

if it rains, weather is cooler which makes it hard to start your bike.

Back in the UK we used to use a "sump heater" in the winter as it stopped the oil from getting too cold so that starting may be difficult in the mornings-maybe this can help whistling.gif

Assuming the battery is good and spark plugs are good etc. Then it is the auto choke as suggested. It is electro-mechanical and has two parts the sensor and the plunger.

Given that the sensor gets more use by cycling from cold to hot every time you use the bike i would replace that first. Then the plunger assy , then the bike whistling.gif

This forum will not allow me to post the parts diagrams.

OP can PM if he wants them.

• Like 2

Assuming the battery is good and spark plugs are good etc. Then it is the auto choke as suggested. It is electro-mechanical and has two parts the sensor and the plunger.

Given that the sensor gets more use by cycling from cold to hot every time you use the bike i would replace that first. Then the plunger assy , then the bike whistling.gif

.... Wish I known that before I got rid of the Nouvo biggrin.png

Good post. Thats the way to go. Had the same problems and was never able to solve them. But i never replaced anything either. Neal is spot on. I suspected the auto choke at my Elegance too.

But what sensor to replace? Is it the "Thermosensor Assy" of diagram "Electrical 2" (Part no. 5P0-H5790-00)? That would be just 175 Baht. Sadly the plunger starter assy costs 1090 Baht. Whole caburetor assy costs 2600 Baht, including plunger assy. So maybe its worth to replace the whole carb if its damaged by gasohol or a mechanic has messed it up.

You can have a look at the parts diagrams and the prices here:

http://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/Catalog/

Click on the Flash animation and choose your bike.

Thanks for all the good posts. I am not very savvy on MB repair but took it in for 12,000 K overhaul and fortunately it was hard starting for them also. In any event no problem now but will see over the next few days. Thanks