Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

Off topic I know but this is extremely irritating. When are people going to learn the correct use of the apostrophe? In the above post; camera's - no. cameras - yes.

If that's "extremely irritating", then wait until you see some really obnoxious English construction and illogical thought on this Forum.

I don't see how you can ever jump a red light in Thailand as traffic keeps flowing through several seconds after the light is red. Enforcement for traffic laws is certainly needed here.

Let's get the terminology right for a start. You don't jump a red light anywhere on the planet.

You RUN red light.

You JUMP a green light.

Thanks for your attention.

You haven't been around much have you?

My friend "jumped" a red light by watching the opposite lights go to amber. Then he took off on his motorbike and got smashed by a car driving through the amber light. So, yes, you can jump a red light.

I appaud this action if its continued. There has been more positive changes in the past month than the previous 10 years under Thai Politicians. My suggestion; all previous Politicians and Dept heads should be banned and Thailand Government totally starts afresh when a democracy does return.

• Like 1

I've banged this drum more than once. Cops standing in the road are next to useless. They need traffic enforcement cops in cars who actively look for drivers committing violations, and then pull the drivers over and ticket them. However, here in Thailand, no one is afraid of a cop in a car with lights blazing and sirens blaring. The average driver ignores them and keeps driving. Ever have a cop pull you over in the United States? You better stop or your asking for major problems. Act erratic and your libel to get tazed, arrested, have your car impounded, and enjoy a night in jail. My guess is that the average Thai could drive in the US less than a week before being pulled over for a moving violation, and if they do the old 'ignore the cop behind them' routine -- well, it's a good way to get yourself in serious trouble. "Sorry, sorry, I no understand" doesn't get much sympathy.

People in the US stop for cops because they are afraid of them -- they understand the consequences of not obeying an officer. In Thailand, no one is afraid of cops. Big laugh, big smile, 'kor toot, kor toot", pay a minimal fine and your off back on the road with a piece of paper that says you can break the same law for the rest of the day.

Nobody should be afraid of the police. Respect their authority sure, but should never be afraid or made to feel afraid. That smacks of totalitarianism. Makes a joke of the US "land of the free" mantra we here so much about doesn't it?

• Like 2

" Harsher Action ", " crackdowns " etc are all part of the vocabulary of regular statements on all sorts of things here and that's about as far as it goes.

It's all meaningless talk to make it sound as if something is being done and ends up being simply a cry of ' Wolf '.

News from next week....

Crackdown announced on wolves

It will be interesting to revisit this thread in a year if anything in the way of law enforcement actually happens.

There are enough threads here from farangs who say they got fined for not wearing a helmet on a bike etc. and then happily say the fine allows them to continue riding helmet free for the rest of the day, bit hypocritical don't you think?

More enforcement - be careful what you wish for!! It probably won't affect the fatality rate a lot but will be a pain in the arse for a lot of people.

Helmets and seat belts may mitigate the severity of an injury but do not and cannot prevent an accident.

Stop trying to turn Thailand into Europe/US/Oz take personal responsibility and look after yourself, your family,relax and enjoy life.

Fair chance you will die from stress rather than a vehicle accident.

• Like 2

is it true that you are not allowed to drive on motorways with motorbike? I mean that is super stupid....

Yes it is true and yes it is super stupid. I can understand why the little step though moped type bikes with small under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly. But surely they could say proper motorbikes, which are incidentally far safer in a good riders hands, of over say 200cc engine capacity should be allowed on all Thai motorways. The main criteria is that the motorbikes are not slow creeping mobile obstructions on these main motorway roads. A proper bike over 200cc should if properly ridden be going just as fast as the majority of cars and other vehicles on the motorway and thus has to be far safer.

I personally have a 600cc Honda Steed and i like to think I ride it well and safely having been properly trained years ago back in the UK, but I find it very frustrating when I want to go say touring that I cannot take it on the motorways and see no point in such a restriction on motorbikes of this size and ability. Heck I would feel and truly be far safer riding on a motorway on my bike than on the alternative roads with drivers and riders jumping lights, 3 or more on a bike and going in the wrong direction in a traffic lane. As we all know because of the appalling dangerous riding and driving on the roads here it is a real hazard course and a nightmare having to ride so very defensively at all times awaiting the inevitable stupid driver who comes out of a side junction without stopping or even looking. Sure such drivers should get a ban and big fine, maybe that just may start to reduce the road casualties a little bit

Certainly this is a law here that does need changing sensibly..

"under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly."

Being from the UK it is surprising that you don't know that motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on motorways. And its been like that since 1959 when the first section of the Preston by-pass (M6) was opened.

Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed. However, safe drivers and safe motorcyclists can co-exist easily - bad drivers and idiotic motorcyclists together will always be a problem, especially on high speed roads.

It is not the ability of the bike that is in question - it is the ability of the rider and the surrounding drivers.

Edited by mrfill

In the other newspaper there are more details.

If caught drunk driving they will lose license for 10 days (or something similar).

Second tme 20 days.

If caught FIVE times in ONE year they will lose their license.

What a joke.

These guys are responsible for the passengers' lives. There should be no leniency at all.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Imagine someone being banned for 10 or 20 days, by the time it went on a register anywhere let alone national the disqualification period would be up.

They really don't think these things through do they ?

• Like 1

Too bad, all these advocates of this new electronic system are going to be complaining once the parking meters and parking fines become implemented in Thailand, as they play "catch-up" to the West. This is one of the first stages to the kind of parking and traffic tyranny that makes driving in the West absolutely over -priced with money pouring into the coffers of local and state government due to traffic and parking fines.

Rubbish, driving in the west is only a pain if you break the law. Don't break the rules and you have no problems, just safer roads.

Incidently, the cost of cars here is Thailand is way more then in the West,, you would have to get a whole truck load of parking tickets in the West to make it even. I have seen 10 year old sh*t box cars selling for about 150,000 baht (about 4,500 USD),, absolutely crazy.

Don't forget the nett result of all the "freedom" of driving here is people get killed… Bring it on as soon as possible,, speed cameras, point system, proper policing etc,, and I hope they do.

• Like 2

If you jump a red light for the first time you should be banned for life, as you may end someone elses ! Get tougher guys!!!!!

It depends. In Hua Hin they have a trafic light for pedestrians. If there is no one on the raod within the next 100 m cars start disregarding the red light and that is reasonable and no reason for suspending the driving licence. Start with really dangerous things like loading pick up cars with 4 m high load. (I saw one speading his meachandise all over the 3 lane highway because it was overloaded. Luckly no person was injured.)

is it true that you are not allowed to drive on motorways with motorbike? I mean that is super stupid....

Yes it is true and yes it is super stupid. I can understand why the little step though moped type bikes with small under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly. But surely they could say proper motorbikes, which are incidentally far safer in a good riders hands, of over say 200cc engine capacity should be allowed on all Thai motorways. The main criteria is that the motorbikes are not slow creeping mobile obstructions on these main motorway roads. A proper bike over 200cc should if properly ridden be going just as fast as the majority of cars and other vehicles on the motorway and thus has to be far safer.

I personally have a 600cc Honda Steed and i like to think I ride it well and safely having been properly trained years ago back in the UK, but I find it very frustrating when I want to go say touring that I cannot take it on the motorways and see no point in such a restriction on motorbikes of this size and ability. Heck I would feel and truly be far safer riding on a motorway on my bike than on the alternative roads with drivers and riders jumping lights, 3 or more on a bike and going in the wrong direction in a traffic lane. As we all know because of the appalling dangerous riding and driving on the roads here it is a real hazard course and a nightmare having to ride so very defensively at all times awaiting the inevitable stupid driver who comes out of a side junction without stopping or even looking. Sure such drivers should get a ban and big fine, maybe that just may start to reduce the road casualties a little bit

"under 200cc engines should not be allowed on motorways and this is indeed true for certain types of small motorbikes in many countries sensibly."

Being from the UK it is surprising that you don't know that motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on motorways. And its been like that since 1959 when the first section of the Preston by-pass (M6) was opened.

Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed. However, safe drivers and safe motorcyclists can co-exist easily - bad drivers and idiotic motorcyclists together will always be a problem, especially on high speed roads.

It is not the ability of the bike that is in question - it is the ability of the rider and the surrounding drivers.

"Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed."- how trusting you are!

​The law DOES state that any motorcycle must be OVER 50 cc to drive on UK motorways - you must also possess a full d/l. No L plates allowed on motorways in the UK.

motorways are in general SAFER than other roads.......... and not allowing any motorbikes in Thailand is just symptomatic of the dreadful stye of thinking on road safety.

The reality is that there is NO_ONE with any power in road safety in Thailand who has a clue about the subject. Furthermore they have the ARROGANCE to come out with dictums without any reference to other countries ...many of which have much safer roads than they do. It's a case of the ignorant working on their own in the dark..........

• Like 1

I don't see how you can ever jump a red light in Thailand as traffic keeps flowing through several seconds after the light is red. Enforcement for traffic laws is certainly needed here.

Let's get the terminology right for a start. You don't jump a red light anywhere on the planet.

You RUN red light.

You JUMP a green light.

My friend "jumped" a red light by watching the opposite lights go to amber. Then he took off on his motorbike and got smashed by a car driving through the amber light. So, yes, you can jump a red light.

No.

Jumping is the term for moving early from stationary or pre-empting YOUR green light. Running is the term for ignoring YOUR amber light when already in motion and running through YOUR red.

Your friend jumped HIS green light thus moving early into the path of the car that was running ITS red light. The fact that he was watching the other lights doesn't change what he did.

Please pay attention.

You RUN red light.

You JUMP a green light.

No.

Jumping is the term for moving early from stationary or pre-empting YOUR green light. Running is the term for ignoring YOUR amber light when already in motion and running through YOUR red.

Your friend jumped HIS green light thus moving early into the path of the car that was running ITS red light. The fact that he was watching the other lights doesn't change what he did.

Please pay attention.

Yes Master.

I'm off to administer a self inflicted flogging to teach myself to pay attention.thumbsup.gif

motorways are in general SAFER than other roads.......... and not allowing any motorbikes in Thailand is just symptomatic of the dreadful stye of thinking on road safety.

The reality is that there is NO_ONE with any power in road safety in Thailand who has a clue about the subject. Furthermore they have the ARROGANCE to come out with dictums without any reference to other countries ...many of which have much safer roads than they do. It's a case of the ignorant working on their own in the dark..........

There is a reason they dont allow motor bikes on the tollways here, imagine what a cluster fck it would be, bikes riding the wrong way, bikes getting rear ended by drivers shooting up the hard shoulder?

Not to mention tha chaos at the toll booth with bikes going to the front of the queue unless they had a separate toll gate, thais just dont have the mindset or the education for this yet.

• Like 1

Update on the speeding ticket. The cops at Banglamung said they couldn't accept payment or process it which was contrary to advice when she called the help-line number on the ticket. So she went and got a postal order for 500 baht and mailed it off to the address on the ticket which is also an option apparently.

I agree there needs to be enforcement of traffic, but once again they are talking about enforcement that can be done while standing on the corner. The really dangerous stuff happens in the traffic flow, and you have a zero percent chance of getting a ticket out there. You can even pass a cop while driving in the oncoming lane. Nothing will happen.

But I also feel that suspension of a license for two infractions is a bit over the top. You have to start with reality. Take one ride in a taxi and count the infractions per trip. There would be no one with a license after the first week.

Agree, that's a bit harsh. You could however get a 6 month suspension for 3 infractions in 2 years in places in the US. Drunk driving and you're off to jail until your hearing, and your car is towed and impounded. It costs about $5,000 to get out of the mess of a DUI in the US, and a second offense will get you a bunch of jail time, a big fine and loss of license for several years. Driving while license is suspended is a big jail sentence.

Any of the above might make your insurance premiums so high you couldn't afford to drive anyway.

There is a reason that driving is more sane in 1st world countries.

Most of my Thai family don't bother with a driving license or vehicle tax (or insurance).

So it doesn't seem like much of a threat to them.

• Like 1

You RUN red light.

You JUMP a green light.

No.

Please pay attention.

Yes Master.

I'm off to administer a self inflicted flogging to teach myself to pay attention.thumbsup.gif

Ooooohhh... can I watch?

Enforcing laws would improve traffic flow no end. <deleted> bus drivers that use the left turn lane when going straight make nearly homicidal

On most main streets, the left lane is called "the bus lane". And on all streets where there are buses, the left lane is called "the lane the buses have to stop in to pick up passengers." Weaving in and out of that lane might ease your tragic pain, but it would actually make traffic worse.

What you are saying is obvious to anyone who has spent more than 1 day in Bangkok traffic. I don't see anywhere in my comment where I referred to buses legally travelling in the bus lane. Perhaps you should read it again?

Red light cameras and average speed cameras, VNPR are the way to go as it's being proved very "un"popular in the UK

But the chances of Thailand funding such a thing is out of the question...

Enforcing laws would improve traffic flow no end. <deleted> bus drivers that use the left turn lane when going straight make nearly homicidal

On most main streets, the left lane is called "the bus lane". And on all streets where there are buses, the left lane is called "the lane the buses have to stop in to pick up passengers." Weaving in and out of that lane might ease your tragic pain, but it would actually make traffic worse.

What you are saying is obvious to anyone who has spent more than 1 day in Bangkok traffic. I don't see anywhere in my comment where I referred to buses legally travelling in the bus lane. Perhaps you should read it again?

I,m sure kernell meant the lane at the traffic lights intended for left turn only?

Gets my blood pressure rising when i have to follow a mini van or bus at less than walking pace just so they can arrive at the lights as it turns green and go straight, often they have a few cars behind beeping,

If on the bike going past i get a chance to look at the guys driving the van or bus, they always have a sheepish guilty expression as they constantly glance from side to side in the mirrors,

biggest laugh is that they do this directly outside an aircond bib box but it gets no reaction.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

Off topic I know but this is extremely irritating. When are people going to learn the correct use of the apostrophe? In the above post; camera's - no. cameras - yes.

As always, remember that not all on TVF are native English speakers.

Otherwise I agree, though my biggest gripe is the use of might and may. Few people, especially the media, seem to distinguish the difference these days.

We may be allowed to drive with our paperwork in order, hopefully one day the roads in Thailand might be safer.

"Clearly, in over 50 years there has not been a problem or the law would have been changed."- how trusting you are!

​The law DOES state that any motorcycle must be OVER 50 cc to drive on UK motorways - you must also possess a full d/l. No L plates allowed on motorways in the UK.

Did you not notice that I said "motorcycles over 50cc are allowed on motorways."?

Another criteria is you must be able to read (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) a car number plate made after 1 September 2001 from 20 metres.

You must also meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving by having a visual acuity of at least decimal 0.5 (6/12) measured on the Snellen scale (with glasses or contact lenses, if necessary) using both eyes together or, if you have sight in one eye only, in that eye.

And be able to read and understand....