Motorists violating Thai traffic laws face harsher action

webfact

Motorists violating road laws face harsher action
PHATHINYA IAMTAN

30237122-01_big.JPG?1403735966412

BANGKOK: -- MOTORISTS ARE to face tougher enforcement of traffic laws including traffic-fine collection, with the planned introduction of an e-ticket system and driving licence suspension for repeat offences.

Deputy Metropolitan Police Commissioner Maj-General Adul Narongsak yesterday said tough measures would be taken against those who ignored tickets issued for traffic offences.

"We will introduce the e-ticket system," he said. "Information at the Land Transport Department's computer system will then be updated constantly. This means the department won't accept car-tax payment from drivers who do not pay traffic fines."

Without such payments, drivers risk arrest for driving untaxed vehicles.

Continuing, Adul said that from now on motorists would need to take offences very seriously indeed. "Traffic laws have their sanctity," he said.

According to him, the relevant authorities have already agreed on the e-ticket system idea. Now legal amendments will be proposed in order to implement it.

"We will soon present this proposal to the National Council for Peace and Order," Adul said.

The Land Transport Department's deputy director-general Wattana Patcharachon said his department would introduce driving-licence suspension as a punishment against repeat offenders in September.

"If you jump the red light for the first time, you will be fined," he said. But if you do it for a second time within one year, your driving licence will be suspended for 30 days."

He said the suspension could last for 60 to 90 days for third-time offenders.

"If you do it for the fourth time, your driving licence will be revoked," Wattana added.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-06-26

• Like 2

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH NO! Tea money just went from 200 to 300 baht?

More than that now. Tuesday 24 Jun.

Speed trap with camera's deployed sneakily some distance up the road and a large checkpoint and pay station (desk set up) on R21 - Saraburi- Lomsak Road. Fines were starting at 400 THB.

• Like 2

2 days ago I was 'caught" riding my moto on the highway back from CW 90 days reporting,

the cop who stopped me was in a very good mood and after 10 minuet of jubilant bantering,

( in Thai) he seems to take a shine to me and ask for something to buy " M150" with,

to resolve the issue,

I was happy to oblige (100 ) and I was on my way... so much for a "harsh action "

• Like 1

As much as I hate them, Red Light cameras and Speed Cameras could work wonders in Thailand, at least the BIB would be by-passed and the fine would just be automated.

Don't agree my friend. Speed cameras here only record vehicle plate, if there is one and it is visible and the vehicle is registered. Huge number of people drive without a licence. I don't see it helping and then there is the problem of the BiB, how are they to earn a living wage?

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

• Like 1

If you jump a red light for the first time you should be banned for life, as you may end someone elses ! Get tougher guys!!!!!

And if you speed for the first time, you should be banned for life..

And if you drive against the traffic, you should be banned for life..

And if you make an illegal U-turn, you should be banned for life.....

And if you drive with a phone in your hand, you should be banned for life..

Lots of road behaviours in Thailand may end someone else's life...

So people would enjoy nice walks in Thailand I would presume...

Pay the BIB a proper wage, like may other developing countries had to do to stamp out wide spread corruption. Cops earn peanuts here.

I do concede you have a good point with the massive amounts of unlicensed drivers, I know heaps who have been pulled over and got ff repeatedly for a 100b Bribe, again it comes down to the BIB enforcing this, a real culture change.

Cops in Thailand are like waitresses in the west. They don't get much of a salary because people give them tips.

• Like 1

Where do posters get this idea of paying these guys more to prevent corruption.

How much do you suggest ? .. considering they do close to nothing, then they should be payed accordingly.

They dont even know how to effectively direct traffic, its always one direction at a time .. have you not noticed ?

Get them out doing some work for starters.

• Like 1