My New CBR 300R .

charlie42

HOW CRF 250 BECAME CBR 300R , For me anyway

Hello to all tv members.
I have been in the market for a bigger bike for about 5 months now.
the poor wave is screaming for mercy.
with trips back home and one thing and another i just had not got around to it.
i was looking at the CBR 250R but i was a little hesitant as i heard of this bike being
plagued with problems,( correct me if im wrong).
so i started to look at the Crf 250l,I have always loved the TRAIL/MOTO X BIKES
In fact my first road legal bike at 16 was the bullet proff 1979 DT 125 MX.
So, i have been looking on dealfish and baht and sold for months now.
waiting for the right bike to come along, there was a few here and there.
but unfortunately i always seemed to be out of the country or something came up.
After a while i started to look at the CBR's again as the price of them had plummeted
there was one for as low as 60,000 k for a 2011, well abused im sure.
there was one beautiful CRF for 85,000 for a 2013, some crazy thai man.
hea had bought it on credit, wanted 85,000 for himself and for new owner to take over the remaining 26 month's@ 3,800 or there a bout's <deleted> !.
So, i had just bought to new tryes for my trusty wave and finished putting them on.
only had a hand pump, so asked the missus to go to the local guy to pump them hard.
this guy was closed for some reason, so i have noticed a new Honda showroom a little further
up the road earlier in the week and asked her to continue on to the showroom.
as usuall a phone call 20 mins later, dumb dumb had drove past the new showroom
and was miles away. I told her to head for home and i jumped into the car and headed to meet up near the show room. so we meet and after 5 mins of slagging and laughing at how she missed a big red 4x3 meter sign and a huge showroom on its own we got there.
while there i decided to have a look inside for the CRF, the guy said he had just sold it
and hidden in the corner..... there it was... the all new CBR 300R. WOW
I did not even know about its release and after being assured by the showroom owner
the all the gulches that plagued the 250 had been ironed out, i fell in love with it.
it was late 5.30, so i told the guy, i will be back in the morning with the 136,000.
next morning have a couple of things to do and then hit the bank.then to the showroom.
within 30 had done the paper work, got a free helmet and 2 Honda jackets and was on my way.
MORE TO COME

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cool man. finally someone bought this bike so we can learn more about it with your contribution.

Please provide us your impressions.

How does it feel? is it heavy? how is the engine?

Edited by ll2

HERE IS SOME INFO P POSTED ON ANOTHER TREAD LAST NIGHT.

Hi guys, just found this tread.
Took possession of my new CBR 300 white red and blue yesterday, 136 k

very nice to ride, never rode the 250 so i can not compare it, sorry.
im 105 kg and the missus with a back pack brought it up to 160 kgs
and still very responsive, hade it up to 145 kph, was more there but did not want to push to hard

I gave it the hard break in for the first 75 km, then replaced the oil, 10 w 30
I was surprised to see the oil was black with particles

next upgrade is tyres, IRC'S are rubbish, the back was kicking out today while gearing down
pics to follow as its raining now

ALSO FOR GOT TO SAY

while turning right into a sub soi from a stoped possition, gave it a little trothle and the back kicked out again with a large truck only meters away...best case i was on the floor with smashed plastic ..worst i was run over by the truck.

i cant stress enough how bad these tyres are !

cool man. finally someone bought this bike so we can learn more about it with your contribution.

Please provide us your impressions.

How does it feel? is it heavy? how is the engine?

I have to say its a fantasic bike, myself and the missus with back pack 160 kgs plus.

cant even feel theres a passenger on it.

light, nimble and some what powerful, its no 600 rr, but its more that enough for the road condictions

in this wonderful country

I want to wait untill i get a tyre upgrade before i give it a good roasting.

Nice one!

I didn't even know they had come out yet.

Was it just the regular Honda shop or the Big Wing shop?

Enjoy your new ride :-D

it was a large new glass front showroom with all models on show.

it have a very large red honda sing with a wing on it, so i guess its a big wing shop ?.

the guy inside said i was the only one for 30 km with this color.

so, i asked him when he orders another for the showroom to order a black one ;-)

yep, change the tires ASAP. IRCs on my cbr250r although great long telemeters - some used them for 40 k km, i used mine for 25k thb - still they are just not confidence inspiring and just make you slow and less safe.

Just get a set 'pirelli rosso2' which is around 7- 8 k thb around. the best investment you can make at the beginning.

it looks good. you can use most of teh mods and aftermarket parts for cbr250r on this bike and even some of cbr500r parts too.

take it easy though!

Edited by ll2

No Charlie, there aren't any problems with the CBR 250. I have had mine for almost 3 years now and haven't had one problem so far, and i have not heard of any other riders complaining about them. Good luck with the 300

what i did read on the cbr250.net fourm was many complaint about when gearing down

the bike was stalling and sometimes in dangerous situaiions.

I am by no means saying the 250 is a bad bike and am happy to hear of your trouble free

riding. i just hope i have the same luck with this 300.

No Charlie, there aren't any problems with the CBR 250. I have had mine for almost 3 years now and haven't had one problem so far, and i have not heard of any other riders complaining about them. Good luck with the 300

what i did read on the cbr250.net fourm was many complaint about when gearing down

the bike was stalling and sometimes in dangerous situaiions.

I am by no means saying the 250 is a bad bike and am happy to hear of your trouble free

riding. i just hope i have the same luck with this 300.

I have the cbR 250 although its only got 14k i have had no problems, i do however feel it needs a valve and cam chain check (job) i have no complaints,

Few weeks ago i did change the stock tires for a set of rosso 2s, the guy at pireli shop advised me to go up a size on the back, the bike feels totally transformed and turns much faster,

The steering feels heavier in traffic ...i guess thats because the tires have grip,

would love a cheap option for a different exaust note, this vacuume cleaner sound feels dangerous when splitting lanes.

first, i would like to say to all the CBR 250 owners out there, i am not disrespecting your bikes.

im just repeating what i read in a fourm.

@ tingthongfarang, try dealfish.co.th

its in thai, but you can use the google translater.. you can get a slip on for as

little as 2500 and a full system for 5000 up.

good luck smile.png

first, i would like to say to all the CBR 250 owners out there, i am not disrespecting your bikes.

its in thai, but you can use the google translater.. you can get a slip on for as

good luck smile.png

No worries Charliebiggrin.png . About the gearing down???? I have not had a problem but maybe there are other CBR riders out there who have??

My cbr 250 never stalled and i had zero problems for 24 k km.

It is possibly rookies or newbies stalling their cbr250rs!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I think you will be able to fit many aftermarket parts from the CBR500R.

Congrats on your new bike, hope you enjoy it! and ride safe.

burn your tires at the track and get some nice pirelli or michelin.

good luck smile.png

No worries Charliebiggrin.png . About the gearing down???? I have not had a problem but maybe there are other CBR riders out there who have??

I have owned two CBR250s, a 2011 and a 2012 ABS. No problems but the gear box was a slight bit smoother on the 2011. Maybe just a fluke or my 2012 isn't broken in yet at 9,000 kms :)

Congrats to OP on buying a CBR300. Keep posting and let us know how you like it :)

So got up yesterday morning, first thing on the agenda...new skids!
there's a big car and bike accessories market about 20 km from where
im living, so off i set.
just after i got there and parked the heavens opened and it poured for 30 minutes.
so, had a look around and after a bit of haggling got a set of pirelli sport dragon's
supplied and fitted for 4,550
after 10 minutes of arguing with herself because she did not want to
to wear the old tyres home (around her waist ) we were off home.
it was very wet all the way home with lots of lovely hgv trucks to deal with so have no idea how good they are
but got home safe and sound.

post-156720-0-77355400-1403868063_thumb.

post-156720-0-69905600-1403868095_thumb.

post-156720-0-48313000-1403868134_thumb.

Two Pirellis for 4,500 baht installed? Heck of a deal! You can sell the old IRCs, further reducing the cost of your upgrade smile.png

yes. i was very happy at that pricesmile.png .

Cleaned the slightly dirty IRC's and asked herself to put them up

on dealfish, i cant do it as its all in thai.

came back from some erins and asked had she done it,( can be a little lazy ).

yes, posted a picture and in the ad says NEW TYRES... NO SIZES,NO MODEL.facepalm.gif

Spent a hour trying to get an answer on the phone, mai pen rai

got a chance to take her out and test out the new skids today.
on 2 occasions i had to stand on the brakes.
you know, the considerate drivers that fail to indicate and cut you off.
well, was there much difference fro the old IRC'S ?
All i can say is god bless Mr Pirelli.
I was amazed to at just how much grip they have.
no kicking out and glued to the road,stopping a lot faster.
extremely happy, its like a different bike to drive.
next upgrade is a new full stainless steal exhaust system
if i can get one.Emoji_1F60A.png

Hi Charlie,

Just out of interest, can you tell me about your 'break in' style? I noticed in the other thread, you say you went 'hard break in' as opposed to the standard manufactures recommended technique.

What is your plan from here, ie when will you change out the oil again and what oil will you use. Does it affect your warranty in any way or did you do the oil change yourself and not have it noted on the service record?

Not meant in a negative way at all, just never had a new bike myself and interested to learn as I am still bikeless through similar situation to yourself (excluding my basket clad Wave). Considering the 300 as well, I just wish they would stop promising new models all the time, keeps me dithering :)

Hi Charlie,

Just out of interest, can you tell me about your 'break in' style? I noticed in the other thread, you say you went 'hard break in' as opposed to the standard manufactures recommended technique.

What is your plan from here, ie when will you change out the oil again and what oil will you use. Does it affect your warranty in any way or did you do the oil change yourself and not have it noted on the service record?

Not meant in a negative way at all, just never had a new bike myself and interested to learn as I am still bikeless through similar situation to yourself (excluding my basket clad Wave). Considering the 300 as well, I just wish they would stop promising new models all the time, keeps me dithering smile.png

Hi Cc,

for example, 20 years ago all barrels and heads on cars and bikes were steel.

now its all aluminum, this is why it not uncommon to here or a car doing 250,000 miles

or more.

with the barrels being aluminum threes a lot less chance of scoring.

a lot of mechanic's now recommended that you do not keep driving at the same rev's for an extended period when new and to drive when cold ,not to let it sit in the drive way warming up.

The hard break, this must be done almost immediately , make sure the bike has full heated up

for the first 20 km, go through the gears 1st to 6th quickly to 5,000 revs and then gear down with as little brake as possible keeping the revs up from gearing down

20-40 km through the gears to 7,000 and gear down.40-60km up to 9,000 revs and gear down.

best to do this on roads with not to much traffic.this will polish the barrel and give it more compression

then take her home and drop the oil yourself while its hot. my oil was black with particles after 75 km

I use the recommenced 10 w 30,need 2 X bottles for the 300 at 110 baht a bottle ( wont break the bank )

after the oil change just dive it normally, not to hard.

I will change the oil again at 500 km but thats just me and then back to Honda for to 1,000 service

I will not mention this to the dealer,smile.png

here are some links from youtube..this first guy talks a bit of sh_t but stick with it, he is a qualified mechanic the has worked in Honda and other workshops

I also did a hard break in between 600-660 KM, then changed the oil right away. Used semi-synthetic plus new filter, at the honda bigwing.

Then I changed the oil again at 4600KM, and next will be at 12,000KM full-synthetic as service manual indicates on the CB500.

The dealer wanted to use Full-synthetic, I said no way. I want to break in this bitch properly.

Now at 7000KM, it's really smooth and gears are easy to change.

I noticed that air filter is really dirty, very black in some areas. So I think i will change it at 12K, instead of waiting for 24K as manual suggest.

I also did a hard break in between 600-660 KM, then changed the oil right away. Used semi-synthetic plus new filter, at the honda bigwing.

Then I changed the oil again at 4600KM, and next will be at 12,000KM full-synthetic as service manual indicates on the CB500.

The dealer wanted to use Full-synthetic, I said no way. I want to break in this bitch properly.

Now at 7000KM, it's really smooth and gears are easy to change.

I noticed that air filter is really dirty, very black in some areas. So I think i will change it at 12K, instead of waiting for 24K as manual suggest.

The hard break in is the ways forward for sure.

Its never going to do your bike any harm to replace service parts

before there due to be changed.

For example, if you live in the desert of drive on unpaved roads

you would need to change the air filter much sooner.

Same goes for oil too, if you want to change sooner, just do it.

But always bring her in to Honda for her service record.

Good luck with the 500 and keep the rubber side up !smile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Charlie,

Which dealer did you purchase from?

Where did you get your tires?

Hi

Im living just outside of bangkok in prathum thani.

i bought it from a local dealer.

he had another one in the the dealership window 2 days later.

the tyres i bought at the Pun Sap market in prathum thani

across the street from the st carlos hospital.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOME AFTERMARKET PARTS.

I WANTED TO GET A FULL EXAUST SYSTEM FOR THE 300.

ITS NOT THE SAME AS THE 250, IT HAS AN 02 SENSOR ON THE DOWN PIPE

SO THATS A NO GO UNTIL THE THAI LADS FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.

ALSO WANTED TO PLAY WITH THE GEARING.

FOUND A JAPANESE SITE WITH WHAT IM AFTER, +1 TO 15 ON THE FRONT

-2 TO 36 ON THE REAR..

THIS MIGHT NOT BE EVERYONE CUP OF TEA, IT SUIT'S MY NEED'S