USA vs Germany - Thurs 26 June, 11:00 pm, - Match Thread

Jonathan Fairfield

The USA have been very impressive so far in their opening games at this World Cup.

Germany, have been well, very German like: solid, strong and efficient, despite a slight blip against Ghana where they drew 2-2.

This game is not only interesting for the fact that the top two teams from group G go head to head to battle it out to see who will win the group, but also for the fact of the multitude of intriguing sub plots that this match throws up.

First of all, is the fact that a draw will see both sides qualify for the last 16, although both sides have been quick to quash any suggestion that the sides will go out to play for a mutually beneficial point.

Second, the USA team is manged by Jurgen Klinsmann, who scored 48 goals in 107 games for the Germans. Klinsmann has described the game as a once in a lifetime occurrence and actually coached many players in this current German team when he was manager of the national team at the 2006 World Cup.

Which leads us on to subplot three...Current Germany manager Jogi Loew was Klinsmann assistant in 2006 before taking over from Klinsmann as national team coach. The two remain close friends.

Subplot four is that Klinsmann has recruited a number of players from the Bundesliga who have dual German/American nationality. Five of his squad will have split loyalties when the national anthems are being player and USA midfielder Jermain Jones even played for the German national team in three friendlies back in 2008.

Well worth watching this one.

Share your predictions below.

• Like 1

Where to watch online here in thailnad? I don't have thai TV only internet. USA site geoblock me, my vpn doesn't work that well. most sites I goggled sem to be spam with somekind of download required. I.m a fooball fan and don't know much about soccer but would like to watch. thanks for your help

Edited by Royrex

I use 12thplayer.com

There is a choice of links

It's trail and error

I always keep a few good ones running with the sound turned down then if the one I am watching goes down I can bring another one up.

You will have to click to close some adds.

But it's free so I can live with that

• Like 1

Does anyone know what channel the match is on? I can't find it on the tube. I see the sign on the True website that we can watch all the games live, but I sure can't find this one. Channel 4 has Portugal vs Ghana.

With English translation and in HD (at least that is so if you are watching Channel 5 on CTH - Channel 175). Ghana v Portugal is on Ch 7 in non-HD and with Thai commentary; worth flicking over to clock pertty-boy Ronnie's new hairdo. I'm sure he's copied that slash from Balesmile.png

If they are clever they end the game 0:0 and safe energy for the next round.

It is a world cup and only the champoins will be remembered ;-)

First 10 mins - doesn't look like Germany does "play safe n' easy" laugh.png .

I hope they cream the USA - can't stand the thought of being taunted by US friends about how they qualified and we Brits did not. Happily the Ozzies didn't make it thru' - that would have been worse.

If they are clever they end the game 0:0 and safe energy for the next round.

It is a world cup and only the champoins will be remembered ;-)

First 10 mins - doesn't look like Germany does "play safe n' easy" laugh.png .

I hope they cream the USA - can't stand the thought of being taunted by US friends about how they qualified and we Brits did not. Happily the Ozzies didn't make it thru' - that would have been worse.

Uh, the USA is playing right now, while Prince Charles sold England's bus last week. biggrin.png

Half time 0-0.

Portugal leads Ghana 1-0. Good news for US if it holds up.

It's beauty of football ( not soccer, football ! ) : you can dominate and lose

very good match: Germany dominates but USA not ridiculous at all: they can win, and they have a very good goal keeper

Hideously dull. This illustrates everything that's wrong with soccer. One team obviously inferior to the other but it takes an act of God for either of them to score.

you don't like that sport but still find time to follow the Forum and even participate? You must have a hideously dull life.
  • Like 2

Now is the Summer of our discontent. England out, USA march on (barring extraordinary turnarounds from Ghana).

Roy Hodgson has to go. It's him or David Cameron. The queen is untouchable (you'll be delighted to hear Jingthing!)

Hideously dull. This illustrates everything that's wrong with soccer. One team obviously inferior to the other but it takes an act of God for either of them to score.

you don't like that sport but still find time to follow the Forum and even participate? You must have a hideously dull life.

Don't care for soccer missionaries and would love to see the US lose--along with their preppie fan base.