Cricket International Series & General Chat

Australia won against New Zealand yesterday by 3 wickets, and not very convincingly

Oh, what a different result we might have had if Lyon had been given out and the Aussies had 50 less runs.. even 25 less.

Smith was all at sea and was out on the third try by the kiwis. Joe whatshisname and Voges...Not sure they even made the field to bat 2nd innings...i forget. The Marsh brothers didn't inspire much confidence in the run chase. Mitch was given a piece of paper from McCullum that said 'Mitch, we are going to bring the field in and hope you try and hit in the air, mishit, and are caught.'

Sure enough, Mitch followed that script perfectly. His brother got a half century but looked like he could be out any ball.

Then, just to confuddle the situation, with 2 runs to win, Starc is sent out. Starc with the fracture in his foot. No quick singles going on there eh? What logic was behind that?

Whew... Onwards to the West Indies series.

Good chance to blood some players?

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Australia won against New Zealand yesterday by 3 wickets, and not very convincingly

Oh, what a different result we might have had if Lyon had been given out and the Aussies had 50 less runs.. even 25 less.

Smith was all at sea and was out on the third try by the kiwis. Joe whatshisname and Voges...Not sure they even made the field to bat 2nd innings...i forget. The Marsh brothers didn't inspire much confidence in the run chase. Mitch was given a piece of paper from McCullum that said 'Mitch, we are going to bring the field in and hope you try and hit in the air, mishit, and are caught.'

Sure enough, Mitch followed that script perfectly. His brother got a half century but looked like he could be out any ball.

Then, just to confuddle the situation, with 2 runs to win, Starc is sent out. Starc with the fracture in his foot. No quick singles going on there eh? What logic was behind that?

Nice work BookMan.

I imagine Burns, Voges and Co will cash in against the WI.

At the very least, I'd be patting S Marsh and Siddle on the shoulder.

Mitch Marsh can do Siddle's job and bat him at 7. Cummings for Starc

and another quickie for Siddle. Khawaja for S Marsh.

Regardless of runs, Voges should go at the end of the summer as well.

Nice work BookMan.

That's it isn't it. They should score against a low ranked side...which then makes it more difficult to dump them.

What are the instructions for players like Mitch Marsh? He seems to be undecided between playing his natural aggressive game and protecting his wicket.

He should be in the side to be able to go the full tonk. It isn't his fault if the batsmen who are chosen for their cool head and lack of flair fail to score.

Australia v New Zealand Cricket Third Test: Black Caps protest to ICC over DRS blunder

New Zealand have sent a please explain to the International Cricket Council over the controversial decision review system call which spared Nathan Lyon in the third Test.

Lyon was given not out at a crucial stage of the game despite strong evidence suggesting he had hit the ball.

The reprieve enabled Australia to turn what appeared to be a sizeable first-innings deficit into a small lead, and halted New Zealand's momentum. Australia won the Test by three wickets.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-new-zealand-cricket-third-test-black-caps-protest-to-icc-over-drs-blunder-20151130-glb9c7.html#ixzz3swBDK2oC

Nice work BookMan.

That's it isn't it. They should score against a low ranked side...which then makes it more difficult to dump them.

What are the instructions for players like Mitch Marsh? He seems to be undecided between playing his natural aggressive game and protecting his wicket.

He should be in the side to be able to go the full tonk. It isn't his fault if the batsmen who are chosen for their cool head and lack of flair fail to score.

I just had a look at Voges test record.

Two tests against the WI averaging 167

Five against Eng averaging 28 &

3 against NZ averaging 52.

It pains me to say it being a West Aussie, but Voges has a bad technique and is a flat track bully.

At early 37, is taking us nowhere.

Shaun Marsh has had 6 recalls to the test side which tells me he isn't good enough for test cricket.

Is a noted bad starter and doesn't have much ticker IMO.

Mitch is only 24 and should be given some time. Batting him a 7 takes a bit of pressure off him as well.

Forgot to mention Peter Nevill, he's fitted in beautifully I reckon.

He averages 44 in Shield cricket which is more tha Burns, Voges, Marsh and Khawaja.

Australia v New Zealand: ICC admits crucial DRS decision was wrong

Adelaide The International Cricket Council has admitted third umpire Nigel Llong's crucial decision in the day-night Test was wrong.

Llong ruled there wasn't conclusive evidence to dismiss Nathan Lyon during Australia's first innings at Adelaide Oval.

New Zealand Cricket wanted a please explain from the ICC. NZ coach Mike Hesson took the issue up with match referee Roshan Mahanama, then NZC wrote to the governing body.

The ICC replied on Tuesday, noting publicly the umpire "followed the correct protocol, but made an incorrect judgment".

"ICC has replied to correspondence from NZC relating to the Nathan Lyon DRS review in the 3rd Test," the ICC posted on its official Twitter account.

"ICC has reviewed the decision and acknowledged that it was incorrect."

It will do little to defuse seething NZ players, who could have potentially squared the three-Test series at 1-1 if Llong got it right.

Llong is set to stand in NZ's upcoming home series against Sri Lanka, where he can expect a heated reception from fans.

Lyon had all but walked off the field during Llong's deliberations, the screen at the ground having shown a big `Hot Spot' on his bat.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/australia-v-new-zealand-icc-admits-crucial-drs-decision-was-wrong-20151201-glcwum.html#ixzz3t3qgXvqO
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I like it as it is.imo

Could open boring cricket when sides bowling first select different types to play for a draw.

The toss brings an element of suprise.

Some countries have good tossers,some don'tsmile.png

Edited by farmerjo

Heads up...

Australia is playing a series of exhibition matches against a West Indies team this month.

They are bringing the games to small town Australia, with the first match being played in regional Tasmania. Looks liek a good crowd so far, could possibly reach 4000. A lot will depend on whether the local IGA shuts early or not.

Well lads,

Day 1 of the exhibition game completed.

Australia 3/438 off 90 overs.

Old Man Voges not out 174

Family Connection man Shaun Marsh not out 139

Chimpy made the journey down and tells me the crowd was down on expected numbers , the date of the match clashing with Headmaster Withers funeral and him being a popular local teacher and all, people had to make a choice.

Those who did ride their horses out to the ground were rewarded with some of the freshest pies and home made hot chips seen at a cricket ground in Australia for decades.

Playing wise, being an exhibition match, the West Indies coaching team decided to try out some radical fielding ploys. Not seen often and possibly not seen again, these basically consisted of allowing the Australian Batsmen to score freely off every ball they faced. Cleverly the Windies tried the ploy of reverse psychology of constant no balling, underutilized their best bowlers and wide open gaps in the field: the idea being the Aussies would fall into the cunning trap of complacency.

Quality batsmen such as Voges and Marsh were not likely to fall into such a trap...

Tomorrow can only bring more surprises. Chimpy tells me there is a rumour of chilli flavored onion rings being available in ground PLUS free tomato sauce if you buy more than 2 pies...but we will have to wait and see.

Well that was short and sweet,turned my back for a moment and it was all over.smile.png

Pattison must have bowled a lot better in the 2nd innings.

Chimpy reckons it was mid winter conditions down there. He was in the Windies dressing room when Shannon Gabriel spat the dummy over the chill and decided to take the first flight back home. The other players held out until their second innings but weather condition deteriorated.

Team management hadn't thought to bring winter woolies, so the players decided to end the exhibition game early by throwing their wickets away.

The exception Was Kraigg Braithwaite. Chimpy reckons the two of them had a giggle-bet going about Kraigg getting a century. Loser had to run around the ground naked, wearing nothing but leg pads.

Chimpy sent me the video. The entire crowd today, which consisted of the Farnesworth and Higgins families, got to see the hilarious spectacle.

The big bash league starts today.thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the reminder.

Normally I wouldn't be that interested, but seeing how WA has won the last 2 titles,

I'll be tuning in.

Starts 1530 Thai time

Check out this 6 hit in practice!

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/andre-russell-smashes-shane-watson-on-roof-of-spotless-stadium-sydney-thunder-bbl05/2015-12-16

Thanks for the reminder.

Normally I wouldn't be that interested, but seeing how WA has won the last 2 titles,

I'll be tuning in.

Starts 1530 Thai time

http://www.cricket.com.au/video/andre-russell-smashes-shane-watson-on-roof-of-spotless-stadium-sydney-thunder-bbl05/2015-12-16

You supporting sydney thunder this year Bookman?

Thanks for the reminder.

I'll be tuning in.

Starts 1530 Thai time

You supporting sydney thunder this year Bookman?

Anyone but Perth FJ laugh.png

I might watch a few games, i haven't really gotten into it in the past though

Thriller at the MCG tonight.

Thunder by a run.

Watched both Sydney teams win today. The Thunder won in a cliffhanger. The thunder bowled 2 dot balls in the final over. For the Stars I saw a fantastic catch by Faulkner to save 6 runs and Peitersen save 5 runs with a through back from over the boundary. Khawaja was not out 109 for the Thunder.

Thriller at the MCG tonight.

Thunder by a run.

Watched both Sydney teams win today. The Thunder won in a cliffhanger. The thunder bowled 2 dot balls in the final over. For the Stars I saw a fantastic catch by Faulkner to save 6 runs and Peitersen save 5 runs with a through back from over the boundary. Khawaja was not out 109 for the Thunder.

Just watched the highlights reel..looked like a good game