Cricket International Series & General Chat

This, to me, is another reason I believe all Balls bowled should be automatically reviewed and called no ball of they are one...wicket or not... takes a few seconds...

Take the no Ball call out of the Umpires hands

Australia v New Zealand Test series: New Zealand victim of incorrect no-ball call in first Test against Australia

The no-ball blunder that spared Adam Voges and cost New Zealand a valuable wicket has highlighted the vexing problem cricket faces with the front-foot rule, in the latest umpiring controversy on Australia's tour of New Zealand.

While the Black Caps magnanimously accepted the mistake as a part of the game it is an issue that has the potential to cause much embarrassment to the sport.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australia-v-new-zealand-test-series-new-zealand-victim-of-incorrect-noball-call-in-first-test-against-australia-20160212-gmswwi.html#ixzz3zwaNtFxd

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This, to me, is another reason I believe all Balls bowled should be automatically reviewed and called no ball of they are one...wicket or not... takes a few seconds...

Australia v New Zealand Test series: New Zealand victim of incorrect no-ball call in first Test against Australia

The no-ball blunder that spared Adam Voges and cost New Zealand a valuable wicket has highlighted the vexing problem cricket faces with the front-foot rule, in the latest umpiring controversy on Australia's tour of New Zealand.

While the Black Caps magnanimously accepted the mistake as a part of the game it is an issue that has the potential to cause much embarrassment to the sport.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australia-v-new-zealand-test-series-new-zealand-victim-of-incorrect-noball-call-in-first-test-against-australia-20160212-gmswwi.html#ixzz3zwaNtFxd

BookMan, do you advocate taking it out of the field umpires

hands and leaving it to the 3rd umpire?

Yes totally I think the third umpire should do all the no balls .

at the moment it is ad hoc the umpires often miss the no ball and it is not called and then sometimes if it is called it may or may not be correct call

if someone gets out they check for no ball anyway.

IMO why not have the umpire concentrating fully on what is in front of him rather than looking for the no ball which seems a hit and miss Affair anyway.

What is your opinion on it?

Edited by BookMan

Yes totally I think the third umpire should do all the no balls .

at the moment it is ad hoc the umpires often miss the no ball and it is not called and then sometimes if it is called it may or may not be correct call

if someone gets out they check for no ball anyway.

IMO why not have the umpire concentrating fully on what is in front of him rather than looking for the no ball which seems a hit and miss Affair anyway.

What is your opinion on it?

I don't like the idea of every ball getting looked at.

Every dismissal, should be reviewed for a no-ball.

Still leave it up to the field umps to call them. Although

I can see them being reluctant to after an incident like today.

This journo seems to like your idea BM.

Personally, I don't think anything could've been done to resolve the Voges decision.

It doesn't happy very often that a wicket falls on an incorrect call like that.

Should the TV umpire adjudicate no-balls?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/971869.html

"Has the time come, then, to take no-balls entirely out of the hands of the on-field officials in matches with a TV umpire? Can the third umpire monitor the side-on cameras live, and relay to the on-field umpires whether a no-ball has been delivered?

Obviously this would result in a delay, and a no-ball would not be called until after the ball had been played by the batsman. But isn't that preferable to the current situation of missed no-balls and missed runs, and occasional incorrect no-ball calls as was seen at the Basin Reserve on Friday?"

Personally, I don't think anything could've been done to resolve the Voges decision.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/new-zealand-v-australia-2015-16/content/story/971869.html

"Has the time come, then, to take no-balls entirely out of the hands of the on-field officials in matches with a TV umpire? Can the third umpire monitor the side-on cameras live, and relay to the on-field umpires whether a no-ball has been delivered?

Obviously this would result in a delay, and a no-ball would not be called until after the ball had been played by the batsman. But isn't that preferable to the current situation of missed no-balls and missed runs, and occasional incorrect no-ball calls as was seen at the Basin Reserve on Friday?"

In one over this morning I saw there were 3 no balls not called.

I don't see that it would really be much of a time issue. It doesn't have to be showing on TV and they have the cameras watching for the no ball anyway so the review should take a few seconds at most and occasionally for a difficult 1 a bit longer but the key elements are if a batsman is given out or not out I think that should always be reviewed

That is an anomaly in the system now where you have the DRS to protect the batsman is given out but as we saw in this circumstance the batsman should have been out and that wicket could really turn the game in the favour of Australia

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Edited by BookMan

I don't see that it would really be much of a time issue. It doesn't have to be showing on TV and they have the cameras watching for the no ball anyway so the review should take a few seconds at most and occasionally for a difficult 1 a bit longer but the key elements are if a batsman is given out or not out I think that should always be reviewed

That is an anomaly in the system now where you have the DRS to protect the batsman is given out but as we saw in this circumstance the batsman should have been out and that wicket could really turn the game in the favour of Australia

You know my views on reviews.

Take it out of the players hands and leave it to the umpires.

Another anomaly is, you can get 2 decisions on the same delivery depending on

what the umpires original decision is. Surely this isn't right.

Still nothing can be done about Voges. Once the umps arm went out and the call made,

it was an illegal delivery.

Edited by Will27

I maybe wrong but when i played,the umpire called the no ball so it gave you a chance of a free hit at that ball.

If the umpires not calling them,then the rule limits you to just 1 run if called later

The rule has not changed of course but often the umpires call is given the ball has already been played

You know my views on reviews.

Take it out of the players hands and leave it to the umpires.

Another anomaly is, you can get 2 decisions on the same delivery depending on

what the umpires original decision is. Surely this isn't right.

Still nothing can be done about Voges. Once the umps arm went out and the call made,

it was an illegal delivery.

I reckon you'll always have to have an option where the players or a team can I appeal certain decisions otherwise if you only have some pie is making the decision there could always be an impression of bias.

of course we could just do as India does and do away with the DRS all together

Despite another 100 from Root, ably supported first by Woakes and then Rashid, England's middle order collapse (87 for 2 to 108 for 6) meant that at the interval their score of 262 all out from 47.5 looked way to low.

But a steady fall of wickets in South Africa's innings meant that England were on top as the game reached the closing stages.

Then enter Chris Morris; a man whose total score from 9 previous ODIs was just 34, with a top score of 12.

At that stage It looked like, with just the tail to mop up, England would win. Even Shaun Pollock on TMS said England were well ahead.

But Morris scored a superb 62 from 38 balls and put South Africa firmly back in control.

When he was out South Africa were 262 for 9 and the rabbit Imran Tahir came in to face, so England may still have salvaged a tie.

But Tahir hit his first ball from Rashid for four, giving South Africa the win by one wicket in what at the interval looked to be a walkover for South Africa but actually turned out to be a tense and thrilling game.

South Africa v England: Hosts level series despite Joe Root's 109

Here's hoping the decider on Sunday lives up to this one.

Good win by the Aussies in NZ,Voges man of the match.smile.png

And SA wrapping up the ODI'S against England.

SA were in all sorts of trouble at 3 - 22,then enters AB(masterclass)

AB is a freakish master talent

Kiwi test was a bit disappointing

I don't know what it is about Voges fella's.

He's a West Aussie, averaging the best part of a 100 and for me, the jury is still out on himblink.png

Once again, the cricketing powers to be have heard Bookman and are acting on my sage advice...

Australia v New Zealand Test series: ICC looking at taking all no-ball calls off the field

The ICC says the topic of video technology to review no-balls will be discussed at its next cricket committee meeting in the wake of the controversy which spared Adam Voges in the first Test.

New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has urged cricket authorities to consider taking the job off the field umpire. It was unclear on Monday night if the Kiwis would make an official complaint to the ICC. The Black Caps did not blame their heavy defeat on umpire Richard Illingworth's mistake though the match would have been much closer had Voges been dismissed on seven. He ended up making 239.

"The ICC Cricket Committee will be discussing the use of technology at its next meeting, and the topic of reviewing no-balls will again be part of that discussion," an ICC spokesman said. "The third umpire can review the fairness of a delivery on the fall of a wicket but not review a no-ball that has been called on the field. The ICC Cricket Committee has discussed this issue on a number of occasions and come to the same conclusion each time – it is not right that a batsman plays a delivery that is illegal, only to be told retrospectively that it was legal and that he is out by a mode of dismissal that would not have been allowed from an illegal delivery."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australia-v-new-zealand-test-series-brendon-mccullum-says-video-can-solve-noball-issue-20160215-gmulhd.html#ixzz40FEKIy3n
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Once again, the cricketing powers to be have heard Bookman and are acting on my sage advice...

Australia v New Zealand Test series: ICC looking at taking all no-ball calls off the field

The ICC says the topic of video technology to review no-balls will be discussed at its next cricket committee meeting in the wake of the controversy which spared Adam Voges in the first Test.

New Zealand captain Brendon McCullum has urged cricket authorities to consider taking the job off the field umpire. It was unclear on Monday night if the Kiwis would make an official complaint to the ICC. The Black Caps did not blame their heavy defeat on umpire Richard Illingworth's mistake though the match would have been much closer had Voges been dismissed on seven. He ended up making 239.

"The ICC Cricket Committee will be discussing the use of technology at its next meeting, and the topic of reviewing no-balls will again be part of that discussion," an ICC spokesman said. "The third umpire can review the fairness of a delivery on the fall of a wicket but not review a no-ball that has been called on the field. The ICC Cricket Committee has discussed this issue on a number of occasions and come to the same conclusion each time – it is not right that a batsman plays a delivery that is illegal, only to be told retrospectively that it was legal and that he is out by a mode of dismissal that would not have been allowed from an illegal delivery."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/australia-v-new-zealand-test-series-brendon-mccullum-says-video-can-solve-noball-issue-20160215-gmulhd.html#ixzz40FEKIy3n

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I know the ICC have you on speed-dial BM, but I doubt anything will come of this.

It's been talked about previously. The ICC feel obliged to talk about it again due to the controvery but

really, it was a freakish occurence. A mistake by the umpire turns out to be massive as a wicket fell on his

decision and the batsman then goes on to make a double hundred.

If a wicket didn't fall or Voges got out shortly after, it would be forgotten by now.

I doubt anything will change.

Stop it Boofa!

Australia v New Zealand Test series: Darren Lehmann calls for square leg umpire to make no-ball calls

http://www.watoday.com.au/sport/australia-v-new-zealand-test-series-darren-lehmann-calls-for-square-leg-umpire-to-make-noball-calls-20160216-gmvhh7.html

ill call him this aftenoon and get him on boardvthe 3rd umpire thing

or just forget about no balls... view for every wicket

Mitch Marsh takes what could have the catch of the season! Mccullum who was 38 off 30... but oh dear, Pattinson bowled a no ball!

Not much excuse for no balls these days... The bowlers practice for hours and hours.. they should consider more than half the foot before over the front line a no ball n their minds

McCullum now 54 off 35

Mitch Marsh takes what could have the catch of the season! Mccullum who was 38 off 30... but oh dear, Pattinson bowled a no ball!

Not much excuse for no balls these days... The bowlers practice for hours and hours.. they should consider more than half the foot before over the front line a no ball n their minds

McCullum now 54 off 35

James Pattinson's over his no-ball woesfacepalm.gif

Australia paceman James Pattinson is confident there'll be no repeat of his Boxing Day Test no-ball woes.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/cricket/a/30861240/australia-v-new-zealand-james-pattinsons-over-his-no-ball-woes/