Russian Rented Motorbike Rampage in South Pattaya

webfact

"He decided to demonstrate his biking skills to his friends"

The guy is a pro and I bet his mates are still pissing themselves laughing.

They need to make it law that you can't hire a bike unless you have a motorcycle licence.

license doesnt prevent stupid

Yes very true.

My comment about the licence is more to protect the innocent and not the idiots. It appears that this machine was way to powerful for him and if he had a licence he would have had some training/experience and he would have been able to handle such a beast. If companies required customers to be licenced then the innocent pedestrian in this story may not have been injured.

Let the idiots kill themselves but make a licence compulsory to protect the innocent victims

Very true and this does work in many countries, but lets not forget you can get a motorcycle licence in Thailand in less than a day, then go hire any CC bike you want. add some booze recipe for disaster as happens so many time in Pattaya.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to make it law that you can't hire a bike unless you have a motorcycle licence.

the law is allredy there. but mony rule

Yeah, I bet the person he injured very badly thinks it a laugh riot as well.

Thailand is one of very few countries in the world where you can rent a superbike, the only problem with that is that you don't need a licence or to even know how to ride a motorbike.

Putting a young man who only has experience of smaller bikes on a superbike is a recipie for disaster. It's actually surprising there isn't more carnage than there is.

Don't know much about bikes, do you? From the photos, the wrecked Ninja could be anything from a 250cc to a 650cc, neither which fall into the classification of "super bike". 250-300cc are classified as "quarter liters". A 650cc falls into the class of "half liter". You have to have 1,000cc or better to be considered a "full liter" bike, and at least 1,500 cc to be considered a "super bike". And if you knew anything about Russia, you would know that most bike sold there are 500cc or bigger. Unlike S.E. Asia, they seldom do the "scooter" type of bike, with 250-300cc being considered as "beginner bikes".

Please try to have some knowledge of a subject matter before you expound on it.

Please try to focus on what matters, that an idiot came to Thailand and immediately injured someone else. You could have rambled on instead about the long term effects of leg injurres, which the other person suffered, but that part went right past you.

• Like 1

Sooooo many people jumping on the bandwagon and making assumptions. Don't get me wrong, anyone that shows off to his mates when he's riding a bike (especially around Town), gets what they deserve, no matter what Nationality they are.

Everyone assumes because he was 20 years old he had no experience, really? I started riding bikes at 6 years old and raced motocross for 10 years before I moved onto circuit racing. There are kids aged 12 or 13 years old now racing in Championship rounds in different parts of the World.

I'm not defending this guy and anyone that rides at high speed around Town gets what they deserve but too many people instantly form an opinion that is often not based on fact.

Incidentally, a Superbike is normally seen as a 1000cc eg. World Superbikes, British Superbikes, the majority are 1000cc in-line 4 cylinder machines, twins and triples can have an increased capacity to meet the regs. But with a 600cc bike now capable of speeds around 160/170mph, most bikes from 600cc upwards shouldn't be ridden by someone without the relevant experience.

I hope the guy with the broken leg recovers quickly and this Russian gets hammered with a huge fine. If it's found he doesn't have a licence, the bike rental company should also be punished.

That would be a black hole, not a pot hole if it caused the bike to suddenly reach top speed.

Unless they in fact mean peak acceleration.

They need to learn the difference, the police tried to blame my "high speed" for an accident in which a motorbike suddenly swerved right to take a right exit without looking and hit into the side of my car. His excuse was that I wouldn't have been there if I wasn't driving so fast. I was doing about 30km/h at the time of impact. It was my acceleration that was high (I like to come off the lights quickly so more people can get through). That being said I drive a 20 year old 5 cyclinder Audi A6 on LPG, it does 0-100 in 13 seconds so even my acceleration wasn't that great though still faster than most other drivers.

Thailand is one of very few countries in the world where you can rent a superbike, the only problem with that is that you don't need a licence or to even know how to ride a motorbike.

Putting a young man who only has experience of smaller bikes on a superbike is a recipie for disaster. It's actually surprising there isn't more carnage than there is.

Don't know much about bikes, do you? From the photos, the wrecked Ninja could be anything from a 250cc to a 650cc, neither which fall into the classification of "super bike". 250-300cc are classified as "quarter liters". A 650cc falls into the class of "half liter". You have to have 1,000cc or better to be considered a "full liter" bike, and at least 1,500 cc to be considered a "super bike". And if you knew anything about Russia, you would know that most bike sold there are 500cc or bigger. Unlike S.E. Asia, they seldom do the "scooter" type of bike, with 250-300cc being considered as "beginner bikes".

Please try to focus on what matters, that an idiot came to Thailand and immediately injured someone else. You could have rambled on instead about the long term effects of leg injurres, which the other person suffered, but that part went right past you.

Just because I failed to make any mention of your points does not mean I didn't see them, ignored them, or disagree with them, so stop assuming things you know nothing about. I was commenting on the "ignorance" of the writer who commented on a "super bike", who, obviously, has no idea of what a super bike actually consists of. I'm sorry if that is something beyond your abilities of comprehension.

And you know he did not?

Chooka was not saying anything about the licensed or unlicensed state of the Russian. Whether chooka knows about that state of the Russian is immaterial to his comment.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

not true at all. What about the superbike class races. Not a single 1500 engine there....

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

not true at all. What about the superbike class races. Not a single 1500 engine there...

Superbike means that it's a modified streetmodel. They are all 4 stroke andare between 850 and 1200 cc for the twin and between 750 and 1000cc for the four cylinder.

One thing you got right though.....

Please have some knowledge on the subject before commenting on others!!!

ok ok you got 2 things right. A 250 CC will never be a superbike. that's for sure

Edited by myluckythai
  • Like 1

Or fix up the roads , so there are no pot holes in the city center?

"no pot holes in the city center"

So that he and idiots like him can get up to even greater speeds before losing control? The fundamental problem here was not the pothole. Actually it may have been the solution to the problem (with unfortunate but inevitable collateral damage to others).

No, so people who spend most of their time outside instead of their rooms, do not twist their ankles or have accidents or wreck their bikes .

Yes fundamental problem here was the pothole , which caused the Russian just as it would most others to loose control.

If you actually rode a bike you might even have a clue before making the usual nonsense posts.

• Like 1

Its seems to me that the municipality is to be partly blamed for the wide spread disrepair of the roads which result in accidents from people hitting potholes and this idiot is to blame for being just plain stupid. At least he seems remorseful which is probably more than the municipality.

I disagree. If you are a good rider, you adapt your riding to the conditions. You cannot just blame pot holes for excessive speed and being a ****.

• Like 2

Its seems to me that the municipality is to be partly blamed for the wide spread disrepair of the roads which result in accidents from people hitting potholes and this idiot is to blame for being just plain stupid. At least he seems remorseful which is probably more than the municipality.

I disagree. If you are a good rider, you adapt your riding to the conditions. You cannot just blame pot holes for excessive speed and being a ****.

Really ? I never realized good riders had X-ray visions and could see all the pot holes

license doesnt prevent stupid

No, but it generally indicates that the rider won't fall into the trap of: "which caused the driver to accidentally accelerate to top speed for an instant." (translation: he panicked, tensed up, and pegged the throttle). Almost everyone does this on their first time out, starts to lose control, grips harder out of fear, which increases power, which increases panic...etc... Always a better idea to learn on a smaller bike first. And to get a license.

• Like 2

the problem with that is at leased 50% of motorbikes will not be rented, that's why they do not ask to see your licence!! BTW I agree no licence no rental.

Doesn't say if he had been drinking and although it was morning time, I've seen the Russians drinking at breakfast down there in Pattaya. Regardless of the presence of alcohol or not, 20 years old, probably no big bike experience either and IMO, a disaster waiting to happen. I agree with Chooka, make it law, no licence, no rental. Chances are, no bike licence, no bike experience! And looking at the Pattaya One pics, that was a 650, a lot to handle with no experience ... I know, I had one.

Edited by mikeynodosh

"He decided to demonstrate his biking skills to his friends and sped up Soi Yamato off Pattaya Beach Road at a high rate of speed."

Soi Yamato is one way street and it seems he was driving against the traffic. Many 'one way' road signs in Pattaya are difficult to see for newcomers, especially at night.

• Like 1

This is simple - 20 year olds and common sense are an oxymoron. We were all there at one time.

I have seen Brits, Americans and Aussies of the same age group behave similarly although I must say that the Russians seem to be the rudest among the rude.

They just shouldn't rent motor bikes to anyone under 40.

And, BTW, curtail the driving of vehicles to Thais under 18.