Are you REALLY a tourist?! - Thai Immigration Poi Pet border Cambodia

Thai Immigration officer asked me the question 'What are you doing here?' My response was tourist, tourism. The response:

REALLY? very loudly he said. Then continued to say about new laws and I've been here a long time. He asked me if I was coming back to Thailand today which I said yes, we all are.. To which he replied no you're not coming back in today.

This is my first visa run in the last year after my 3 entry tourist visa ecpired. I've been here just over 6 months.

Conclusion is I gave him the phone of the visa company manager and he said afterwards that this is my last time and i Cant do again.

I have a photo of this individual, this appropriate to post? Also very long queues.
  • Like 1

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've missed no news I've followed it rigorously, and the immigration official is wrong, he stated I used 3 visa runs already which in fact I've used none.

The fact I've posted this is because his manner and attitude in believing in lying and im actually working. That's the point here.

Also, why would denying a entry for one day and still being allowed in the following day? also never asked for any papers or proof.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

We could be doing with a thread just for reports of difficulties at the border. That's the OP, myself and Soutpeel pulled so far this week.

Better in one thread so we can see if there is a pattern/increasing enforcement prior to Aug 12

Mods - can you start one. Better you than members.
  • Like 2

Agree Pat. I won't post further information in this thread because of the predictable comments and things people have failed to grasp in what im trying to say. Also due to the deletion of my posts. Edited by liamstevens111
  • Like 2

Agree Pat. I won't post further information in this thread because of the predictable comments and things people have failed to grasp in what im trying to say. Also due to the deletion of my posts.

If the comments were predictable why post in the first place then, you already knew the answer

So you had a triple entry tourist visa and you left and entered Thailand 3 times previously without ever staying more than ten minutes in the border country?  That's what the officer was talking about.  He reads the stamps and the stamps don't lie.

If you had spent a few days or a week exploring Laos or Cambo or Myanmar or elsewhere BEING A TOURIST, I am sure you would have had no problem.

'nuff said

~

Where I say i done this? I actually spent a weekend in Malaysia on my second entry and lost two months coming back, not knowing you can get a re entry permit. There was nothing suspicious on my passport and i held the correct visa, doing no visa runs.

There's many members on here with doing only that without a visa for years

Where I say i done this? I actually spent a weekend in Malaysia on my second entry and lost two months coming back, not knowing you can get a re entry permit. There was nothing suspicious on my passport and i held the correct visa, doing no visa runs.

if you had followed the previous post and paid attention, you should actually put your above remark into past tense ! 

It HAS BEEN a practise, and HAS BEEN ABANDONED by Thai Immigration. There is information on the forthcoming change on August 12 about a change in back-to-back visa rules. And about what had been happening to you is clearly within the law, the officer CAN reject you if he thinks your previous 3 entries suggest that you are not a "normal" tourist.  Means everybody who stays longer than 6 months within one year falls into this category. This explains the change they did with tourist visas a while ago - two back-to-backs are ok, three in a row are being ruled out.  It has been a standing rule for many years and just had never been enforced. All of this is has been ruminated on ThaiVisa and in various other fores.

You are riding a high horse argueing that members of this forum have not been understanding your point.  Oh yes, they did.  Let me appeal to your common sense, please.

reason i mentioned people on here been doing it for years, it's those very people posting nonsense regarding my plans in thailand

very funny

Agree Pat. I won't post further information in this thread because of the predictable comments and things people have failed to grasp in what im trying to say. Also due to the deletion of my posts.

If the comments were predictable why post in the first place then, you already knew the answer

Kinda like posting the same answer after three people have already posted the correct one!

if you had followed the previous post and paid attention, you should actually put your above remark into past tense ! 

It HAS BEEN a practise, and HAS BEEN ABANDONED by Thai Immigration. There is information on the forthcoming change on August 12 about a change in back-to-back visa rules. And about what had been happening to you is clearly within the law, the officer CAN reject you if he thinks your previous 3 entries suggest that you are not a "normal" tourist.  Means everybody who stays longer than 6 months within one year falls into this category. This explains the change they did with tourist visas a while ago - two back-to-backs are ok, three in a row are being ruled out.  It has been a standing rule for many years and just had never been enforced. All of this is has been ruminated on ThaiVisa and in various other fores.

You are riding a high horse argueing that members of this forum have not been understanding your point.  Oh yes, they did.  Let me appeal to your common sense, please.

reason i mentioned people on here been doing it for years, it's those very people posting nonsense regarding my plans in thailand

very funny

Didn't you mention you forgot to get a re-entry permit on one of your Tourist visas ?

I highly doubt it gets recommended by the "same Thai Visa members"  to forget a re-entry permit before travelling out of Thailand on a stil valid tourist visa.

Some details that speak against you unfortunately mix . . . in the eye of the officer, even if you are "technically" right you are arising suspicion, and maybe your behaviour got him slightly agitated.  Shooting a photo at the border crossing of place or a person,  is a definite No-Go , on a U.S. border will get you arrested !!

I didn't shoot the photo, a fellow companion did when the altercation unfolded. I've heard this officer gives people a hard time, I'll move on, learnt a lot today for sure. Mostly bad about how the situation was handled and his terrible attitude was unjust. Never see this before. Edited by liamstevens111

I didn't shoot the photo, a fellow companion did when the altercation unfolded. I've heard this officer gives people a hard time, I'll move on, learnt a lot today for sure. Mostly bad about how the situation was handled and his terrible attitude was unjust. Never see this before.

yes, you learned that even Thai Immigration officers, after being thrown at with "capitla letter words", a heated argument and being photographed, still issue you a permit of entry to their Country.

You try that on a Homeland Security Officer . . . you will get the hilarious learning of how tight iron handcuffs feel on your writst.

This is the finest lesson a Thai person can give you on their tolerance, buddhism conduct and patience with you.

I wouldn't count on that it lasts forever  (this kinda good luck , you know?) , because it largely depends on your behaviour.

This is a step-by-step society, you , the foreigner, are at the base of the steps, while government officials are at the very top of it.  Just accept the fact, smile and live with it. That's what is called true learning in Thailand , for a foreigner.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 2

OP, lets take a moment and look at our respective motivations. Like you, I've spent considerable time in this country on Tourist visas (and the 30-day exemption stamp) but mine has been spread over years with no single 'visit' of more than 3 months in duration. Go back to Australia, work for 'x' months and come back to Thailand, often via Penang.

OK - fast forward to 2014 and I'm finally free of the shackles of a desk and deadlines. I head back to Thailand via Penang with a TV, get the 30-day extension and I'm sitting pretty with almost a month left. Like the others here, I've read most of what has been posted here, and I've seen the writing on the wall - tomorrow I will transfer the last 10k AUD I need into a Thai bank to make it clear to Immigration that:

a. I want to stay here longterm
b. I have the finances necessary to do so
c. I'm prepared to keep some of those finances in a Thai bank for at least 90 days to achieve my first goal
d. I know there are hoops to be jumped through but hopefully those hoops are the same for every non-resident foreigner living in Thailand

One might argue that many retirees dont do anything particularly different to the tourists who come to Thailand each month, and the same observation may well apply to some on the Ed visa, but for now the focus is squarely on the Tourist Visa as a backdoor for those who are working illegally in Thailand. In light of that, I see nothing wrong with the way you were treated by the Thai official - he has been told to crack down on anyone who appears to be living longterm in Thailand without the appropriate visa and he's doing his job. 

I can see why you've reacted strongly to some of the responses in this thread but I can also see why Thai Immigration has decided to get tough - time to decide if you are serious about staying here longterm or you'd prefer to explore other options. 

Im all for it crackdown on people not having visas, thing is I've had visas, this is the first time, that's the point. Yes crackdown but you don't treat anyone in that manner.

Main point you should note, he said i cant go back today, another day was fine. also never asked for proof of anything.

Many people earn sums of money and stay in Thailand long term, 6 months isn't long term on one trip. One can easily work in their home country and continue to get funds transferred over.