Are you REALLY a tourist?! - Thai Immigration Poi Pet border Cambodia

Why don't people that travel understand that ANY immigration officer OF ANY COUNTRY  has the right to deny you entry AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON.

Any seasoned traveler knows, a NON-CITIZEN of a country they wish to enter does NOT have a RIGHT to enter that country EVEN WITH THE / A PROPER VISA.  A IMMIGRATION OFFICER CAN CANCEL YOUR VISA ON THE SPOT  or approve your entry - HINT - STAMP IN PASSPORT EQUALS APPROVAL TO ENTER.  Your only recourse is to ask for a supervisor, most countries allow this, and plead your case with the supervisor.

Edited by edwardflory

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't people that travel understand that ANY immigration officer OF ANY COUNTRY  has the right to deny you entry AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON.

Any seasoned traveler knows, a NON-CITIZEN of a country they wish to enter does NOT have a RIGHT to enter that country EVEN WITH THE / A PROPER VISA.  A IMMIGRATION OFFICER CAN CANCEL YOUR VISA ON THE SPOT  or approve your entry - HINT - STAMP IN PASSPORT EQUALS APPROVAL TO ENTER.  Your only recourse is to ask for a supervisor, most countries allow this, and plead your case with the supervisor.

Perhaps this should be a sticky - on the front of every Consulate worldwide. 

So you had a triple entry tourist visa and you left and entered Thailand 3 times previously without ever staying more than ten minutes in the border country?  That's what the officer was talking about.  He reads the stamps and the stamps don't lie.

If you had spent a few days or a week exploring Laos or Cambo or Myanmar or elsewhere BEING A TOURIST, I am sure you would have had no problem.

'nuff said

~

Im afraid I do not agree with you here. If Thailand offers and issues a 3 x 60day entry Tourist visa at their consulates, it is acknowledging that to stay 180 days living in Thailand without working is quite legitimate. It should be quite acceptable to go out and straight back in again on this visa without BEING A TOURIST in neighbouring countries in between entries. But what you say: (If you had spent a few days or a week exploring Laos or Cambo or Myanmar or elsewhere BEING A TOURIST, I am sure you would have had no problem) is advisable after the Triple Entry has expired to increase one's chance of legitimate re-entry as a tourist.

• Like 2

I wish to mention that in the US system that you are pointing to substantiate the OPs mistreatment, if the Immigration officer suspects the entrant will violate the terms of their admission that they are sent up the ladder to a second officer. Only Thailand gives one guy absolute power.

Another thing is that US visa waiver program entries are each three months, making it much more feasible to actually get some touristing done, not the 29 days Thailand gives in you practice.

If this is off topic then mod please delete every post that mentions US procedures or International norms for Immigration.

^ Agree with your post, but You forget one thing thai tourist visa are easy to get but the Usa ones (or visa waivers) are not, and if you get a tourist visa in Los its valid for 90 days (60 days plus you can get a 30 day extension)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos Edited by MJCM

^ Agree with your post, but You forget one thing thai tourist visa are easy to get but the Usa ones (or visa waivers) are not, and if you get a tourist visa in Los its valid for 90 days (60 days plus you can get a 30 day extension)

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

I was referring to the visa waiver program and visa free entry. Available for 37 nationalities.

I said nothing about US tourist visas. Those are ten year multiple entry visas, six months per entry. About 4000 baht.

This is simply not true. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to afford a year long holiday. You shouldn't decide how others should live based on your own income.

Amen

My income is irrelevant, I don't need a VISA, and if I want money I can work when and where I like.
Worst happens, I can just go and live on my family farm (It's in my name now).
Just fed up with foreigners abusing our hospitality.

I'm curious and confused, are you speaking as a Thai or as an American?

Are you in Thailand?

Who are the foreigners?

Perplexed is the word I was looking for... tongue.png

He ain't neither.  coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Maybe use the concise version that was posted further up the page:

"Nowhere in the world does a visa means that they must let you into the country."

Maybe use the concise version that was posted further up the page:

"Nowhere in the world does a visa means that they must let you into the country."

ANY immigration officer OF ANY COUNTRY  has the right to deny you entry AT ANY TIME, for ANY REASON  

this is not true!!!

there must be a clear reason what is listed in the law of the country, so please dont publish bullshit here

• Like 2

You have no right to stay in Thailand on tourist visas for years , get the proper visa and problem is solved. Non-immigrant visa ED or if you'e over 50 get a retirement visa .

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

OP, if you had an "altercation" with the immigration officer, I would say you're lucky to be back in the country at all.  It's perfectly reasonable for them to ask what you're doing in the country, if you're working, and how long you plan to stay.     

Does anyone have more specific information about the upcoming rule change on back-to-back tourist visas?  E.g. will there be some max you can stay in the country per year on tourist visas, or some minimum time before you can re-enter?

Simple solution for Thailand.

1. 30 days (90 if first time visit). And that's your lot on a tourist visa. For two or three months.

2. IQ test for teachers. I'm serious. I've seen teachers with master's degrees that are absolutely useless. I've also seen some that were fantastic to be fair. The best teacher I've seen didn't even have a degree. Would the UK/USA take a teacher without a PGCE/Masters? No chance. So why should Thailand? Here's why. Are Thai degrees anywhere near UK/US degree standard? Apart from one or two exceptions, not even close. Are A level/ HND/BTEC National/ US High School Diploma more advanced than a Thai degree? Probably. Not all, but quite a few.

3. Are there some good teachers out here without a degree? Absolutely.

4. My solution is this. Have the MOE assess those with excellent grades at aged 18 education levels. Also those on failed waivers due to non Ed degree.. Observe them for a week and decide if they can help Thaland. If so, give them temp work permits and let them do a degree in Ed. Seeing as it's a requirement now, provide a course. They can study at Uni over here on the government course (or by distance learning from the UK). Let them work in temple schools/orphanges etc and provide food, accomodation,  extra course materials and, transport only. Only the folk with a passion for teaching would stand the test. Luckily, I'm not in that boat (I can get hold of a few quid to help me with my degree out here), but many are. It would get rid of the sexpats (that have caused all the problems for everyone else) and create a better Thailand.

5. Two work permits. Grade A and B. Grade A for those with M.ED/BA. Subject teachers in other words. B for those with any degree and TESOL (native speakers only) 120 hour. They will teach English in non international schools. However, if they obtain QTS, they can move up to the next level.

Or maybe I'm a dreamer? I'm not trying to tell Thailand what to do, but they are in a unique position with loads of sexpat (and awful) 'teachers' and thousands of excellent ones with a high IQ/good grades at 18. Thailand could use this to their own advantage. Don't put all westerners in the same boat.

Reason I'm saying this is that two wonderful teachers are about to leave Thailand as their waivers ended. One is off back the the US and has no idea what he'll do (poor family etc) and the other is off to Uni in the UK but can't start the course for three years (3 year abroad rule). So three years wasted, unless he pays for it himself (which he can't for a few years).

Just seems a waste.

Edited by GoonDizzy

1. 30 days (90 if first time visit). And that's your lot on a tourist visa. For two or three months.

2. IQ test for teachers. I'm serious. I've seen teachers with master's degrees that are absolutely useless. I've also seen some that were fantastic to be fair. The best teacher I've seen didn't even have a degree. Would the UK/USA take a teacher without a PGCE/Masters? No chance. So why should Thailand? Here's why. Are Thai degrees anywhere near UK/US degree standard? Apart from one or two exceptions, not even close. Are A level/ HND/BTEC National/ US High School Diploma more advanced than a Thai degree? Probably. Not all, but quite a few.

4. My solution is this. Have the MOE assess those with excellent grades at aged 18 education levels. Also those on failed waivers due to non Ed degree.. Observe them for a week and decide if they can help Thaland. If so, give them temp work permits and let them do a degree in Ed. Seeing as it's a requirement now, provide a course. They can study at Uni over here on the government course (or by distance learning from the UK). Let them work in temple schools/orphanges etc and provide food, extra course materials and, transport only. Only the folk with a passion for teaching would stand the test. Luckily, I'm not in that boat (I can get hold of a few quid to help me with my degree out here), but many are. It would get rid of the sexpats (that have caused all the problems for everyone else) and create a better Thailand.

5. Two work permits. Grade A and B. Grade A for those with M.ED/BA. Subject teachers in other words. B for those with any degree and TESOL (native speakers only) 120 hour. They will teach English in non international schools. However, if they obtain QTS, they can move up to the next level.

Or maybe I'm a dreamer? I'm not trying to tell Thailand what to do, but they are in a unique position with loads of sexpat (and awful) 'teachers' and thousands of excellent ones with a high IQ/good grades at 18. Thailand could use this to their own advantage. Don't put all westerners in the same boat.

Reason I'm saying this is that two wonderful teachers are about to leave Thailand as their waivers ended. One is off back the the US and has no idea what he'll do (poor family etc) and the other is off to Uni in the UK but can't start the course for three years (3 year abroad rule). So three years wasted, unless he pays for it himself (which he can't for a few years).

Just seems a waste.

Although it seems you have some valid comments, they would be better in the teaching forum
  • Like 1

So you had a triple entry tourist visa and you left and entered Thailand 3 times previously without ever staying more than ten minutes in the border country?  That's what the officer was talking about.  He reads the stamps and the stamps don't lie.

If you had spent a few days or a week exploring Laos or Cambo or Myanmar or elsewhere BEING A TOURIST, I am sure you would have had no problem.

'nuff said

~

Im afraid I do not agree with you here. If Thailand offers and issues a 3 x 60day entry Tourist visa at their consulates, it is acknowledging that to stay 180 days living in Thailand without working is quite legitimate. It should be quite acceptable to go out and straight back in again on this visa without BEING A TOURIST in neighbouring countries in between entries. But what you say: (If you had spent a few days or a week exploring Laos or Cambo or Myanmar or elsewhere BEING A TOURIST, I am sure you would have had no problem) is advisable after the Triple Entry has expired to increase one's chance of legitimate re-entry as a tourist.

You don't agree because you are ignoring the intent and spirit of the tourist visa with multiple entries.  i.e to allow the touring of surrounding countries, many of which had no long-haul international flights years ago.  Some still don't.  So they are NOT acknowledging the practice of arriving and plopping your butt down in Pattaya and living there for six months.  You are supposed to be a TOURIST.

The out/in process has been allowed for many years but recently there are so many abusing it, the authorities are taking action.  It's their right. 

And you are forgetting that just because you are issued a visa of ANY kind, you can still be denied entry.

'nuff said

~

• Like 1

Sounds like everybody's assuming the OP acted like a jerk with the Immigration Officer, and that's at least part of the reason for the problem. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't; how the heck do so many people seem to know?  Because he's angry now?  Of course he's peeved about it, but can't that be BECAUSE of what happened, and not the other way around?  The facts are (as I read them) that he'd finished his tourist visa (you know, the visa everybody who's playing by the rules should be getting...) and then was in for his first 30d stamp on an out & in.

If the point you want to make is that out & ins are no longer to be counted upon (as vague as that sounds), then OK.  If it's that out & ins are no longer legal at all, then show us where it says that.  But all the rest about 'officer can always deny...' (yes yes yes, we know, we know, we know; we get it!  You can stop mindlessly repeating the obvious now...), that the OP was really not "acting" like a "tourist" (etc, etc, etc), that the OP picked a fight with the officer, etc., is just the usual speculation, editorializing, moralizing, life-style assessments and sanctimony that inevitably hijacks the discussion every time this topic comes up.  And why is it the traveler that's always condemned as the party with the bad attitude, and never the immigration officer involved? 

Are some members here so afflicted with self-loathing that it's always got to be the foreigner who's wrong and the thai official always right?  'Going to be pretty funny when those now wallowing in their smugness, feeling they've been playing by the rules", all with the proper visas, start finding themselves in some crosshairs as well.

Personally, I just take this as another data point.  You can be completely on the up & up and not a permanent resident or illegally working (and yes, behaving properly), and still have problems, purely as a matter of luck of the draw, with arbitrary and capricious thai immigration officers.  I've been through the lines often enough to know there are the polite courteous ones and a few dour, speechless, can't-wait-til-shift-is-over ones.  (Yes, that's probably true other places as well, but that's off-topic really.  Find <other country>visa.com and post your complaint there.)

• Like 1

@ 'all' long time TV admirers.......

Over the last year i have been seeing moderaters doing their best to keep abusive posts out of the spotlights.

Still i am amazed by the rude way some longtime , thus more experienced members, are bashing newbee's and guests questions.

Why?

Stupid questions don't exist...dumb bashing does!

• Like 1

How much of all this is to do with tax? I seem to remember that if you are resident in Thailand for over half a year you are liable to Thai tax law.

So if they can determine you not to be a tourist, not working here, not retired, but living here, then technically you are are due to be paying some tax. Clearly a lot of countries have reciprocal tax treaties with Thailand that would count.

I just wonder if this could be where it is all heading?

So if they can determine you not to be a tourist, not working here, not retired, but living here, then technically you are are due to be paying some tax.

You already would on things such as electricity, gasoline and internet service. Unless you specifically mean tax on income but if you have no income then tax what?

4. My solution is this. Have the MOE assess those with excellent grades at aged 18 education levels. Also those on failed waivers due to non Ed degree.. Observe them for a week and decide if they can help Thaland. If so, give them temp work permits and let them do a degree in Ed. Seeing as it's a requirement now, provide a course. They can study at Uni over here on the government course (or by distance learning from the UK). Let them work in temple schools/orphanges etc and provide food, accomodation,  extra course materials and, transport only. Only the folk with a passion for teaching would stand the test. Luckily, I'm not in that boat (I can get hold of a few quid to help me with my degree out here), but many are. It would get rid of the sexpats (that have caused all the problems for everyone else) and create a better Thailand.

Just seems a waste.

Are you joking? Why would this be a simple solution for Thailand? Your post is only about people that like to work here as a teacher. 99,9% of the tourist coming here don't do that........

So if they can determine you not to be a tourist, not working here, not retired, but living here, then technically you are are due to be paying some tax.

You already would on things such as electricity, gasoline and internet service. Unless you specifically mean tax on income but if you have no income then tax what?

Is that not there argument? You must have income to be living on. Edited by iainiain101

Is that not there argument? You must have income to be living on.

Savings.

Savings.

This comes up over & over & over again.  Why can't people get this?  Why the heck do you need "income" if you have SAVINGS??  Old school did that you guys - we SAVED! 

• Like 1

[quote name="notmyself" post="8030382" timestamp="1403919912"] [quote name="iainiain101" post="8030356" timestamp="1403919376"] [quote name="notmyself" post="8030338" timestamp="1403919078"] [quote name="iainiain101" post="8030258" timestamp="1403917269"] So if they can determine you not to be a tourist, not working here, not retired, but living here, then technically you are are due to be paying some tax. [/quote] You already would on things such as electricity, gasoline and internet service. Unless you specifically mean tax on income but if you have no income then tax what?
 [/quote]
 [/quote]
Savings.
 [/quote]

This comes up over & over & over again.  Why can't people get this?  Why the heck do you need "income" if you have SAVINGS??  Old school did that you guys - we SAVED! 

I agree but not only old school, some new school do listen to old school and saved. Then you have the ones who come from money. And the ones who made their money in their 20's or 30's.
But even for these guys/girls I think there should be a visa other than the 500k option

Send from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE