Are you REALLY a tourist?! - Thai Immigration Poi Pet border Cambodia

I didn't shoot the photo, a fellow companion did when the altercation unfolded. I've heard this officer gives people a hard time, I'll move on, learnt a lot today for sure. Mostly bad about how the situation was handled and his terrible attitude was unjust. Never see this before.

yes, you learned that even Thai Immigration officers, after being thrown at with "capitla letter words", a heated argument and being photographed, still issue you a permit of entry to their Country.

You try that on a Homeland Security Officer . . . you will get the hilarious learning of how tight iron handcuffs feel on your writst.

This is the finest lesson a Thai person can give you on their tolerance, buddhism conduct and patience with you.

I wouldn't count on that it lasts forever  (this kinda good luck , you know?) , because it largely depends on your behaviour.

This is a step-by-step society, you , the foreigner, are at the base of the steps, while government officials are at the very top of it.  Just accept the fact, smile and live with it. That's what is called true learning in Thailand , for a foreigner.

Officer was unaware of photo and there was no heated argument. In my home country I could of lost my cool here I didn't. Calmly got his attention and have him my phone to talk to a Thai. All sorted

One of those people

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't shoot the photo, a fellow companion did when the altercation unfolded. I've heard this officer gives people a hard time, I'll move on, learnt a lot today for sure. Mostly bad about how the situation was handled and his terrible attitude was unjust. Never see this before.

Thought you said in a previous post you were not going to post any more information ?

Im all for it crackdown on people not having visas, thing is I've had visas, this is the first time, that's the point. Yes crackdown but you don't treat anyone in that manner.

Main point you should note, he said i cant go back today, another day was fine. also never asked for proof of anything.

If this is your main point, it's exactly what the crackdown is aimed at.  To exit Thailand and come back 10 minutes later, don't make you the tourist.  That's what he suggested, and he is right.

You played it correctly when you spent a week in Malaysia ( the then missing re-entry permit when re-entering, well, your cup of tea ).

And yes these 10 minutes back-to-back visa roundabout at the borders is what they are abandoning.  You weren't a victim of it NOW, (only almost) but next time you will.

Ever noticed how friendly border officals are when in Cincinatti you are not fast enough in opening your baggage ?  Oh no you can't be treated in such a manner . . . . stop whining and feel lucky you were granted entry

• Like 1

........ One can easily work in their home country and continue to get funds transferred over.

That would be working illegally in Thailand without a work permit then.
Exactly what they are trying to stop.

Why would that need a Work Permit ? Or am I missing something here ?

How I read it is that the OP works in his Home Country, stops work and comes over to Thailand for a Long Holiday and to support himself he transfers money into Thailand from abroad.

• Like 2

yes, you learned that even Thai Immigration officers, after being thrown at with "capitla letter words", a heated argument and being photographed, still issue you a permit of entry to their Country.

You try that on a Homeland Security Officer . . . you will get the hilarious learning of how tight iron handcuffs feel on your writst.

This is the finest lesson a Thai person can give you on their tolerance, buddhism conduct and patience with you.

I wouldn't count on that it lasts forever  (this kinda good luck , you know?) , because it largely depends on your behaviour.

This is a step-by-step society, you , the foreigner, are at the base of the steps, while government officials are at the very top of it.  Just accept the fact, smile and live with it. That's what is called true learning in Thailand , for a foreigner.
Officer was unaware of photo and there was no heated argument. In my home country I could of lost my cool here I didn't. Calmly got his attention and have him my phone to talk to a Thai. All sorted

One of those people

In your own country if you lose your cool with an immigration guy even though your a citizen, one can find ones self behind bars, although they can't prevent you entering country they can lock you up for copping an attitude with them

I have now been in Thailand for 10 years, never had any problem with immigration in that time always obey the rules set down  and you will have no problems,  attitude is very important I started with a Tourist  visa then o a now retirement play by the rules and you will have no problems

• Like 1

........ One can easily work in their home country and continue to get funds transferred over.

How I read it is that the OP works in his Home Country, stops work and comes over to Thailand for a Long Holiday and to support himself he transfers money into Thailand from abroad.

Nah, read carefully, he admitted working online in Thailand, paid in his home country, and having the money transferred over.
That's illegal in Thailand, unless you get a work permit, which they won't give you.

Here we go again. I knew my time would be better spent advertising those headphones I want to sell on Head-Fi  ;)

• Like 2

I have found that at Immigration and other government offices, something that goes a LONG way is a smile and sense of deference. They really appreciate this and it works in your favor tremendously.

Call it a "strategy" or whatever you want to call it, but it does wonders. I also speak/read Thai and try to make some friendly joke with them about the high number of tourists or some other trivial matter, something to emphasize with them, so I think that helps.

I agree with what the other posters said about entitlement, this is not a proper attitude to have and I have witnessed other foreigners behave in this way on immigration lines and it works against them.

Yes. This has been my experience over 20 years dealing with Thai authorities, including Immigration officials. 

I have gotten righteous on a couple occasions - once when I was in ICU and overstayed the annual renewal of extension of stay based on marriage, and showed up with a letter from hospital etc. Silly me. If I had done my homework searching TV I would have known that one must send the wife or another to apply for extension prior to expiration. I paid the fine. Could have been worse. 

Only once did I catch out a mistake on their part. When entering the country with a passport full of visas to Thailand and extensions for Work Permit etc. they missed my re-entry permit and stamped me in 30 day tourist. Good thing I always look at the stamp (usually to make a note where it is so I can find it cause the book is so full) and calmly brought it to the attention of the official immediately. It got fixed. 

Polite, calm, respectful communication is always the way to go in Thailand, and definitely with my wife, and I guess all people in general.

• Like 2

Here we go again. I knew my time would be better spent advertising those headphones I want to sell on Head-Fi  wink.png

giggle.gif

One of those people

In your own country if you lose your cool with an immigration guy even though your a citizen, one can find ones self behind bars, although they can't prevent you entering country they can lock you up for copping an attitude with them

I don't know how it is today since i haven't been home since 1997 but even then you would have been an instant candidate for a "cavity" search!.

• Like 1

Liam, I think I get it, you wanted to advise TVF readers that things are now tougher at the borders.

The past is done and gone, only the now is important.

You mentioned:- Then continued to say about new laws and I've been here a long time

All seems OK so far.

The problem I had when reading your OP was that  you seemed to be peeved and sort of argued with him?

Many posters have pulled you up on that and have given you the excellent advice that Immigration Officers are Kings, we are serfs. Also that confrontation in Thailand is an absolute No No!

When I first came to Thailand, I arrived on 2nd Feb with a return flight on 4th July - I had no idea about visas LOL

I am over retirement age and retired on a reasonable pension so easy to get a 90 day Non Imm O visa, then extend it for reasons of retirement.

I cannot tell what your age is or your circumstances are from your posts, perhaps there is a little too much defend/attack going on.

To me it seems that you were lucky - you got back in but with a warning.

If you are over 50, can show proof of foreign income more than 66,000b per month or have 800,000b in a Thai bank for 60 days (or combinations of), get a 90 day non imm O visa and extend it for a year based on retirement.

You will only have to do 90 day reports should you stay  in Thailand full time.

There are loads of threads on how to do this.

Good luck and stay calm, subai subai.

• Like 2

You are correct.

• Like 1

I've missed no news I've followed it rigorously, and the immigration official is wrong, he stated I used 3 visa runs already which in fact I've used none.
The fact I've posted this is because his manner and attitude in believing in lying and im actually working. That's the point here.
Also, why would denying a entry for one day and still being allowed in the following day? also never asked for any papers or proof.

Sorry, I don't believe you're a tourist either.
Tourists go on holiday for a few weeks, return to their home countries and work a while to earn money for their next holiday.
Then they have another holiday, don't know what you are, but you ain't a tourist.

This is simply not true. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to afford a year long holiday. You shouldn't decide how others should live based on your own income.

Amen

• Like 2

Nowhere in the world does a visa means that they must let you into the country.

With Non Imm O and B (no wp) you still must do a 10 minute border crossing every 90 days

Send from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Even with a WP if one doesn't qualify for an extension of stay you have to visa run every 90 days

This is simply not true. Some of us are lucky enough to be able to afford a year long holiday. You shouldn't decide how others should live based on your own income.

Amen

My income is irrelevant, I don't need a VISA, and if I want money I can work when and where I like.
Worst happens, I can just go and live on my family farm (It's in my name now).
Just fed up with foreigners abusing our hospitality. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

I've missed no news I've followed it rigorously, and the immigration official is wrong, he stated I used 3 visa runs already which in fact I've used none.
The fact I've posted this is because his manner and attitude in believing in lying and im actually working. That's the point here.
Also, why would denying a entry for one day and still being allowed in the following day? also never asked for any papers or proof.

Sorry, I don't believe you're a tourist either.
Tourists go on holiday for a few weeks, return to their home countries and work a while to earn money for their next holiday.
Then they have another holiday, don't know what you are, but you ain't a tourist.

Amen

So what is it you do in your own country that affords you this then Liam ?

With Non Imm O and B (no wp) you still must do a 10 minute border crossing every 90 days

Send from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

This I can confirm, and would like to add that you also need to produce evidence of funds 20k baht, and expect questions about employment.

The OP seems surprised they treated him so badly as he had a TR visa; maybe he will give a minutes thought to how much krap we have all cumulatively had to consume living here - 5, 10 years or more, supposedly on the correct visas...

<snip>

A bit of topic.

True, the first time I went on a Holiday to Europe (Schengen state) with the wife, she had a Valid Visa in her passport, we were taken out of the line at the Passport control and we had a scrutiny of the supporting documents  (like Hotel Bookings, Sufficient money etc) and her passport. (Only took 5 minutes orso)

The people in the line looked at us like we where criminals biggrin.png

Edited by MJCM

Amen

My income is irrelevant, I don't need a VISA, and if I want money I can work when and where I like.
Worst happens, I can just go and live on my family farm (It's in my name now).
Just fed up with foreigners abusing our hospitality.

I'm curious and confused, are you speaking as a Thai or as an American?

Are you in Thailand?

Who are the foreigners?

Perplexed is the word I was looking for... tongue.png