Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's lovely to see Pattaya living up to it's old stereotypes!facepalm.gif BF's indeed. beatdeadhorse.gif

Old stereotype? I think not... Just google 'Pattaya' and you will find there is nothing old about the stereotype...

Have you been lately? Quite a change from 10 years ago.

Yes I know, the demographic has changed quite a bit in the last few years, but aren't the gogo bars still on Walking Street and aren't there still beer bars on sois 7/8 and isn't soi 6 still there? Along with the rise of soi Buakao... There are fewer punters around and more package tourists, but is that a good thing for the local economy?

Yep. Me, I think there are at least as many punters as ever, just spread out more. Among the new demographic, now, some do count as punters, even though you can't talk to them.

Trouble is, all we ever have is anecdotes & speculation here, often dependent on a particular time, a particular day, a particular place.

And the farang business owners typically poor mouth no matter what, so they're a doubtful source. The Central Festival food court owners don't poor mouth but nobody wants to hear it if business is great so they don't get surveyed.

Personally, I doubt the number of punters who frequented the Pattaya of 10, 15, 20 years ago would have supported all this new development around Soi Buakhao.

For those who live in denial, half of the shophouses on Soi Bua khoaw is owned by the banks for more than a decade. And they didn'y build them in the first place

Nonsense. This thread is broken down into two groups of people; those who live in Pattaya and the town is busy and those that wish they lived in Pattaya and the town is a ghost town on the verge of slipping into the sea.

Well, we all know that you DON'T live in Pattaya, isn't it ?

I lived in Pattaya for a number of years and recently moved a bit outside of town for work. Why?

For those who live in denial, half of the shophouses on Soi Bua khoaw is owned by the banks for more than a decade. And they didn'y build them in the first place

Nonsense. This thread is broken down into two groups of people; those who live in Pattaya and the town is busy and those that wish they lived in Pattaya and the town is a ghost town on the verge of slipping into the sea.

Well, we all know that you DON'T live in Pattaya, isn't it ?

I lived in Pattaya for a number of years and recently moved a bit outside of town for work. Why?

Number of years. A bit out of town, For work.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Sorry, I must have mistaken you for someone else, Kelly

Edited by JesseFrank

Yes I know, the demographic has changed quite a bit in the last few years, but aren't the gogo bars still on Walking Street and aren't there still beer bars on sois 7/8 and isn't soi 6 still there? Along with the rise of soi Buakao... There are fewer punters around and more package tourists, but is that a good thing for the local economy?

It has been a while since you have been to Pattaya.

Yes Soi 6 is still there, but a large % of the beer bars are gone from sois 7&8.

It has been a while since you have been to Pattaya.

Yes Soi 6 is still there, but a large % of the beer bars are gone from sois 7&8.

I surveyed Soi 6, 7 & 8 the other night (on motorcycle) - Tuesday night. I did a few circuits of Soi 7 & 8 and it's still wall to wall bars all the way from 2nd Road to Beach Road. As good (or bad) as ever. Sure, the bars were quiet in terms of customers, but they are still there. Rows and rows of hungry girls! This is always a quiet season for bars. The owners and girls know this but they're not going anywhere. So what if it is a little bit slower than the usual slow season. They don't do well this time of year anyway.

Soi 6 had a surprising number of bars. As many as I've ever seen. Wall to wall girls too.

If you add the extra bar activity along Soi Buakhao and LK Metro, there's more bars here than ever.

Why did I make this survey? Because I've heard so much on here about how deadly quiet town is and wanted to see first hand.

I did a fair bit of bar hopping in Walking Street at the end of May, even during the curfew days, and there's a lot of activity there. Many bars were doing well. You'll always have quiet bars even in busy times, so that doesn't tell you anything.

I wouldn't be surprised if we're heading for the busiest high season we've had in a long time. Once the world realises how peaceful it is in Thailand under military dictatorship the tourists will come flocking back.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Stop with all the doom and gloom I just bought 2 beer bars and was told things will be picking up this year, although it has been quiet recently I am still optimistic . High season this year will be massive I just bought a wheel barrow to do my banking with.

• Like 1

Stop with all the doom and gloom I just bought 2 beer bars and was told things will be picking up this year, although it has been quiet recently I am still optimistic . High season this year will be massive I just bought a wheel barrow to do my banking with.

I'm curious.... The bars are currently packed with beer and girls while customers are few. Right now is as good as it gets for bar customers. You're probably as handsome as you're ever going to be. What is it about a busy high season that you're missing out on right now?

Edited by tropo

Told my whom? a resident expert on the bar stool next to you? or an owner who is few months behind in rent or a bar girl?

Only ask because hoping to know who is the real expert

I hope we have a high season. Someone told me advance airline bookings to the LOS during high season are way down this year so far. FWIW

July and August are normally top months for the airliners with high season prices.

Have you noticed the promotions of 40 and 50% the major airliners give this year ?

Jet airways has currently a promotion at 7.435 Baht to their European destinations.

Planes must be full, NOT?

I hope we have a high season. Someone told me advance airline bookings to the LOS during high season are way down this year so far. FWIW

July and August are normally top months for the airliners with high season prices.

Have you noticed the promotions of 40 and 50% the major airliners give this year ?

Jet airways has currently a promotion at 7.435 Baht to their European destinations.

Aren't they? I'll bet they are doing a fine trade at those prices. That equals the best price I could get to the Philippines, booked 4 months in advance.

I wouldnt think its possible to arrange a flight for 7K inclusive. Yes excluding taxes etc which once added will more than double the ticket price, so a return will still be in the region of 30K.

A quick search shows cheapest to LHR return is 29K. going only 10K but return is always more due to the taxes there.No difference to last year or the year befors prices.

Edited by PattayaPhom

The lower than low prices were on off throughout most of the high season this year too to Thailand. Pattaya packed with tourists? ever seen the typical tourist nowadays. Tribes of Indians(not the red sort) trailing up and down,middle eastern,no comment,Russkies hardly spending a rouble The Aussies in far less numbers as their economy hits the buffers as the European,the Chinese not far off either

Yet the building boom goes on,every square inch of available land being built on,must be something I am missing out on. Let the journey continue

I wouldnt think its possible to arrange a flight for 7K inclusive. Yes excluding taxes etc which once added will more than double the ticket price, so a return will still be in the region of 30K.

A quick search shows cheapest to LHR return is 29K. going only 10K but return is always more due to the taxes there.No difference to last year or the year befors prices.

I booked a direct return flight to Amsterdam with China Airlines, not the cheapest in my book, for 28.075 Baht everything included. Fly between today and 30 September on a 3 month valid return ticket.

Not 7k then as stated. Flights have always been that price so no 50% discount

Sent from my TRUE BEYOND 4G using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Reading problems ?

7435 was jet airways, and yes they will probably add taxes. Normal price Jet airways is 35.000 Baht return .

China airlines is normally +40.000 Baht during normal travel periods, and higher during special travel periods like July and August.

Edited by JesseFrank

Reading problems ?

7435 was jet airways, and yes they will probably add taxes. Normal price Jet airways is 35.000 Baht return .

China airlines is normally +40.000 Baht during normal travel periods, and higher during special travel periods like July and August.

I occassionally travel to Europe and havnt seen any difference in prices, especially 40-50% discounts.last flight I took 2 years ago was only 27K inclusive ,would love to get that return for 13.5K As for Pattaya. yes some business maybe suffering but that is down to the propritor. Bad business model, location and marketing. Most people I work with havnt noticed a difference to last year, those I come accross that have are basically idle and will not make the effort.

Reading problems ?

I occassionally travel to Europe and havnt seen any difference in prices, especially 40-50% discounts.last flight I took 2 years ago was only 27K inclusive ,would love to get that return for 13.5K As for Pattaya. yes some business maybe suffering but that is down to the propritor. Bad business model, location and marketing. Most people I work with havnt noticed a difference to last year, those I come accross that have are basically idle and will not make the effort.

Now if you gonna bring prices from 2 year ago in the discussion, without even mentioning which Cargo flight you took, then it stops here for me.

I said it in another thread to you already, you must attract all the customers from all the real estate agents, since you're the only one in that business who is in a comfortable position.

Yet the building boom goes on,every square inch of available land being built on,must be something I am missing out on. Let the journey continue

What you are missing out on is that the normal laws of supply and demand are not operating in Pattaya - So far.

This is because alot of this investment in buildings is just an alternative to a bank for parking cash. And there are very very wealthy Chinese/ Chinese Thais who are behind this building boom. So wealthy that an empty condo or hotel, for years, does not hurt them whatsoever.

Edited by morrobay

Reading problems ?

Completely agree with JesseFrank, the airline ticket price are really down this year:

I did a search few days ago, and found incredible price with jet airways, austrian air, finnair, british airways, quatar, price going from 430 euro to 550.

and that for a 3 month ticket!

Malaysia airline was quoted at 600 euro... thats really a bargain!

for the perverts who need their pattaya shot, its open season lol

Edited by Bender

Wow yes now there is hardly any rowdy drunken tourists here i for one am enjoying the tranquil peace.

But a little further on within nakula although numbers have declined somewhat,there is still many russian,german,chinese,

etc on the streets or should i correct that to sois.smile.png

Reading problems ?

Ok, so you were playing the typical low cost carrier ticket price game. "probably add taxes" LOL

Let us know how much the 7435 K Jet Airways ticket costs when all the add-ons are added. Be sure to add on some luggage.

What you are missing out on is that the normal laws of supply and demand are not operating in Pattaya - So far.

This is because alot of this investment in buildings is just an alternative to a bank for parking cash. And there are very very wealthy Chinese/ Chinese Thais who are behind this building boom. So wealthy that an empty condo or hotel, for years, does not hurt them whatsoever.

You mean instead of putting the money in stocks or bonds or REITs they build condos they know won't rent?

The rules are operating as normal. All the condos being constructed in my area, and there's a lot of them, are majority sold by ground breaking. There's nothing for sale upon completion. Supply and demand is working just fine. If they weren't selling they wouldn't be built. Where do you think the construction money comes from?

• Like 1

Reading problems ?

Ok, so you were playing the typical low cost carrier ticket price game. "probably add taxes" LOL

Let us know how much the 7435 K Jet Airways ticket costs when all the add-ons are added. Be sure to add on some luggage.

Nothing to do with low cost carrier, Jet Airways is a decent airliner with full service and allows 30Kg luggage in economy, and for members an extra 10kg.

Neither are China airlines at 27.075, Eva Air at 28.354 or Lufthansa at 33.630 low cost carriers. All prices returm to Amsterdam including all taxes.

Reading problems ?

Nothing to do with low cost carrier, Jet Airways is a decent airliner with full service and allows 30Kg luggage in economy, and for members an extra 10kg.

Neither are China airlines at 27.075, Eva Air at 28.354 or Lufthansa at 33.630 low cost carriers. All prices returm to Amsterdam including all taxes.

The point is that tickets are running at around 30K, not 7,435. Your point was that ticket prices are extremely low and planes are empty and you used this elusive 7435 baht ticket to validate your point.

Jet Airways doesn't fly out of Amsterdam.

• Like 1

You mean instead of putting the money in stocks or bonds or REITs they build condos they know won't rent?

that's exactly what a lot of Thai investors (with deep pockets!) do. ten years ago when i had my first meeting with the developer of "my" moo baan (no condos, homes only) i couldn't believe what he told me. since then he constructed in his various moo baans (a total of 7 if i'm not mistaken) about 60 homes which are all sold or rented out.

and guess what... he keeps on constructing!

Edited by Naam