Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Yes I have noticed many price increases for sure. Like a buffet I used to like went went up 25 percent since last month so I looked at it but they had stopped offering the main dish I used to go there for. Good move ... they got nada from me. Raise the price and offer less, good business IF you can get it.

Look after the expats, they will look after you in hard times.I had to explain this concept to a Thai friend on Ko Chang in 08 when the GFC hit.

There are such an abundance of Thais that have no understanding of that concept. It makes so much sense. I would really go out of my way to keep the expat customers happy if I had a bar, restaurant, or hotel here. Many do not get it. And I have asked them, and they say they just do not care. I think it is the inability of many Thais to consider their future, much less next month, or tomorrow. I need the profit today, so my decision is based on that. That alone. Leave me alone. Do not make me think about something abstract like my future. You are a fareng. How can you offer me suggestions about my business? There is absolutely no way you are smarter than me. That is impossible.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have summed it up not only very well but (You knew that was coming) do you understand it?

Give me the money and F...O.. Don't even try to understand. Give me the money and F..O.. and never come back.

Now you know...but do you understand? NO. F..O...

Well, I certainly try to understand. Many things here are beyond my western logic, reasoning, and common sense. So, some things I just let go. But, when someone who I have been dealing with for years pulls this sort of thing, it boggles the mind. Sometimes over 20 baht! Or something so similarly ridiculous. I ask myself, would I risk losing a 3,000 baht per month customer over 20 baht? I have a business, and I have given refunds of thousands of dollars, simply because a customer said he was not happy. So what? I can re-sell the product to someone else. Keeping my customers happy, and maintaining my reputation is everything to me. And they keep coming back. And they refer their friends. And everyone sleeps well at night. And my customers are thrilled because they are being treated with dignity, respect, and they know that I care. Does a Thai businessman consider this, very often? Some do. I had a customer service issue with Home Pro a few years ago. The salesperson dismissed me like I was not even there. I asked to see the manager. She was equally cavalier. She just did not want to hear what I had to say. In her mind, I was just an ignorant fareng. Now, taking into account that Homepro has a lot of fareng customers who spend real money, this was quite an ignorant attitude for her to take. And this issue was over a 36,000 baht AC unit under warranty! I went home, got online, and contacted the headquarters of Home Pro. Within 2 hours I got a phone call from a bigwig. We will do everything we can to resolve this problem for you. Go back to the store tomorrow. The manager has been given a SEVERE reprimand. I went back, and the manager was bowing deeply, and really went out of her way to help. We got it all resolved. She gave me a free toaster. She looked genuinely scared. She nearly had tears in her eyes. I think top management told her she was on the verge of losing her job. I think they read her the riot act. I think they tore her a new a***ole.

On another occasion, I was at a restaurant I eat at occasionally. I ordered a seafood dish without the seafood. Basically told them only veggies in this dish. Ok. When I was finished, they charged me 40 baht extra. Why? Because veggies are expensive! That was the only explanation they would give me. Well, I thought seafood was expensive! I asked for the manager. We exchanged words. Needless to say, it was not pleasant, because he was so very dense. Not exactly a nobel prize winner. I let my feet do the talking. I have never gone back. I went online and wrote some scathing reviews. That is something we have the power to do. Warn others. Tell your friends. Deprive the dumbest, and least visionary of them, of as much business as you can. Take great satisfaction in that. It is good, and worthy work. You are preforming a service for the entire expat population by behaving in this righteous manner.

Without the fear of God, I think sometimes a percentage of people just react, without much thought to the consequences of their actions. It is incumbent upon us, as consumers, to make them aware of the consequences of their stupidity. If they do not care, so be it. If they are too arrogant, or blind to see it, so be it. Let your feet do the talking, at that point.

• Like 1

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has always struck me as odd reading the comments from the usual basheroos that with all this lack of business acumen that the Thai Baht is stable and land prices in recent years have doubled and tripled.

Rayong, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Phuket, Pattaya, Hat Yai and Khao Yai. - Land prices double.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/thailand-news/Land-prices-upcountry-doubling/20542

Land prices on the Bangkok-Nonthaburi road have tripled since 2010, on the back of construction of the extended Purple Line mass-transit rail line from Bang Sue-Bang Yai, which is set to be completed next year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Purple-Line-extension-gives-massive-boost-to-land--30232677.html

Yup, coups and rice disasters and bad government and the economy keeps chugging along. Tourists keep coming and the bashers keep bashing. Funny that.

Yep, what we have here is just another good ol' fun DYING PATTAYA and DYING THAILAND bash. It's a venerable posting/letters-to-the-editor tradition going back, oh, 30 years or so. Great catharsis for the frustration-of-the-day. It helps enormously to have been born and reared in a cloudy clime and unable to speak Thai.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</scr

There are such an abundance of Thais that have no understanding of that concept. It makes so much sense. I would really go out of my way to keep the expat customers happy if I had a bar, restaurant, or hotel here. Many do not get it. And I have asked them, and they say they just do not care. I think it is the inability of many Thais to consider their future, much less next month, or tomorrow. I need the profit today, so my decision is based on that. That alone. Leave me alone. Do not make me think about something abstract like my future. You are a fareng. How can you offer me suggestions about my business? There is absolutely no way you are smarter than me. That is impossible.

Spidermike
Chaiyaphum, Thailand
Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

You have summed it up not only very well but (You knew that was coming) do you understand it?

Give me the money and F...O.. Don't even try to understand. Give me the money and F..O.. and never come back.

Now you know...but do you understand? NO. F..O...

It has always struck me as odd reading the comments from the usual basheroos that with all this lack of business acumen that the Thai Baht is stable and land prices in recent years have doubled and tripled.

Rayong, Chiang Mai, Khon Kaen, Udon Thani, Phuket, Pattaya, Hat Yai and Khao Yai. - Land prices double.

Land prices on the Bangkok-Nonthaburi road have tripled since 2010, on the back of construction of the extended Purple Line mass-transit rail line from Bang Sue-Bang Yai, which is set to be completed next year.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Purple-Line-extension-gives-massive-boost-to-land--30232677.html

Yup, coups and rice disasters and bad government and the economy keeps chugging along. Tourists keep coming and the bashers keep bashing. Funny that.

Land prices doubling and tripling, I sure hope you bought low and have the sense to sell out before the crash, because something about this has the feel of the dot com bubble around mid 1999 smile.png Remember when the music stops run for a seat because there will only be a few available thumbsup.gif In case you hadn't noticed the mainland Chinese real estate market has dropped for the past two months and should this continue then the next shoe to drop will be the shadow banking system, of course this will have little or no effect on the Thai economy right rolleyes.gif

• Like 2

Land prices doubling and tripling, I sure hope you bought low and have the sense to sell out before the crash, because something about this has the feel of the dot com bubble around mid 1999 smile.png Remember when the music stops run for a seat because there will only be a few available thumbsup.gif In case you hadn't noticed the mainland Chinese real estate market has dropped for the past two months and should this continue then the next shoe to drop will be the shadow banking system, of course this will have little or no effect on the Thai economy right rolleyes.gif

I'm not making it up. I posted the links. You could post the links when Thailand crashed the last time in 97. OK so?

I didn't claim to be an expert. That's why I post links. Yes, in answer to your question I did notice about the Chinese. They all came to Thailand to buy land a short while ago because of the market at home. What do you think they know? thumbsup.gif

Land prices doubling and tripling, I sure hope you bought low and have the sense to sell out before the crash

Or, just have the sense to continue to live on/work the land as usual no matter if you bought high, unruffled. smile.png

Try buying an automobile low and selling high.

Phuket is also the quietest it's been in years, too.

Start a new thread there's a few popping up tonight, patpongs dead aswell.

End of the world for some people.

Gettiing better everyday,

the coup dimmed the lights in the Bars,forever.

the visa runners, have been caught up with.

USA , likely to move cobra military training from LOS.

GBP. 55 THB , the only way is up .wai2.gif

The first Cobra Gold, held in 1982, bilateral United StatesThailand exercise. Other regular participants are Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Singapore, and South Korea.

I got a bridge in Brooklyn for sale. Are you interested? Cambodia workers, (Please come back) Bars dark? Where?

I'm not making it up. I posted the links. You could post the links when Thailand crashed the last time in 97. OK so?

I didn't claim to be an expert. That's why I post links. Yes, in answer to your question I did notice about the Chinese. They all came to Thailand to buy land a short while ago because of the market at home. What do you think they know? thumbsup.gif

Chinese all came to Thailand recently to buy land ?

They must have changed the law then.

And why would a Chinese know more than a European or an American ?

Whaty they will know, but what you seemingly don't, is that land prices in China same as in Thailand have risen because of speculation, not because of value.

And that prices in China in the last 6 months have fallen faster than they ever have risen, and the same is happening in Thailand.

Try to sell a second hand condominium in Jomtien these days. Woohaa

• Like 1

Whaty they will know, but what you seemingly don't, is that land prices in China same as in Thailand have risen because of speculation, not because of value.

And that prices in China in the last 6 months have fallen faster than they ever have risen, and the same is happening in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702766-will-the-chinese-property-buyers-hugely-affect-thailands-property-market/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703589-land-prices-to-continue-to-rise-in-bangkok/

If you don't know how the Chinese buy land in Thailand try google or something or ask a Chinese rich guy. They buy hotels, shopping centers and big buildings. They buy in Thailand because the Chinese government is making investment in Chinese property difficult right now.

I know your anecdotal evidence of one condo in Jomtien is supposed to trump 100 business news links available but......

If you want to dispute that Thai real estate is rising try finding a solid link and post it.

Some reasons fir the decline in numbers:

A Korean company who has business interests here and I know very well will not send any of it's employees here until the coup is over . I understand that it is a company rule. I am sure that other companies do the same.

I also think many people have been to Thailand already and now are traveling to other countries to see new things.

Also, all the crime and ripoffs going on in Thailand is not a good thing and the word gets around quickly.

Prices are high and people are not so friendly anymore.

For the sexpats, the girls working the bars are getting uglier and fatter every year. The drink prices and bar fines are now just too high. Other countries are a better value.

Low season is always slower....

So many more reasons to list. One thing for sure is that if things continue in the current path Thailand is in for some hard times. Perhaps the General will clean this country up and it truly becomes a high-end destination. Time will tell !

I agree with your comments they are simple but accurate. Three of my friends who come to Thailand two times a year,(for the last 10 years+) have said they won’t be coming back for a while for all the reasons you mentioned .Next they are going to the Philippines and Africa and Cuba. Thailand is off the list. They have introduced many guys to Thailand, now everyone wants to meet up in club Cuba. These are all big spender people, who want the fun and excitement. People vote with their feet.

Some reasons fir the decline in numbers:

A Korean company who has business interests here and I know very well will not send any of it's employees here until the coup is over . I understand that it is a company rule. I am sure that other companies do the same.

I also think many people have been to Thailand already and now are traveling to other countries to see new things.

Also, all the crime and ripoffs going on in Thailand is not a good thing and the word gets around quickly.

Prices are high and people are not so friendly anymore.

For the sexpats, the girls working the bars are getting uglier and fatter every year. The drink prices and bar fines are now just too high. Other countries are a better value.

Low season is always slower....

So many more reasons to list. One thing for sure is that if things continue in the current path Thailand is in for some hard times. Perhaps the General will clean this country up and it truly becomes a high-end destination. Time will tell !

I agree with your comments they are simple but accurate. Three of my friends who come to Thailand two times a year,(for the last 10 years+) have said they won’t be coming back for a while for all the reasons you mentioned .Next they are going to the Philippines and Africa and Cuba. Thailand is off the list. They have introduced many guys to Thailand, now everyone wants to meet up in club Cuba. These are all big spender people, who want the fun and excitement. People vote with their feet.

So why did you come to Pattaya?

I've never seen the front of Central Festival as quiet as it is, but I'm stuffed if I can get to the food court pizza without having to endure a horde of grazers. I'd also like to know what they're putting the drinks at the Isaan Disco at the top of Walking St that makes 'good' Thai girls dance like they've got ants in their pants but that's a topic for another thread. Apart from those two locations, I agree that it's as quiet as I've ever seen it in years of coming here as a 2-week millionaire.

I've never seen the front of Central Festival as quiet as it is, but I'm stuffed if I can get to the food court pizza without having to endure a horde of grazers. I'd also like to know what they're putting the drinks at the Isaan Disco at the top of Walking St that makes 'good' Thai girls dance like they've got ants in their pants but that's a topic for another thread. Apart from those two locations, I agree that it's as quiet as I've ever seen it in years of coming here as a 2-week millionaire.

You do realize this is the height of the slow season? It is supposed to be quiet.

I think that they are crazy if they increase the prices on food and beer etc. the only thing they will achieve is very little income. If they reduce the prices, at least they will get some money for their troubles. As the saying goes "Half of something is better than half of nothing"

I seldom go out (married and all) but headed up to Loi Kroi in CM for a few beers. There was like, no farang men. I'm over 60 and my handsome-looking days are long gone, but if I was that type of guy I could have had a lot of fun. I don't think I've been so popular in a bar since I was station in Subic Bay in the 1980s and the entire fleet was out to sea except for some support ships. When your one of the few men in town, the gals become a whole lot more interested and interesting. lol Anyway, had fun until my step son came looking for me to tell me Mae said it was time to come home. I've had my fun in SE Asia over my lifetime. No regrets. But I tell ya, this is a great time for single guys to book a trip to Thailand. It's a buyers market so to speak. And sure, prices for food, drink, and entertainment have gone up, but they've gone up globally. Thailand is still a bargain.

Edited by connda
  • Like 2

I think that they are crazy if they increase the prices on food and beer etc. the only thing they will achieve is very little income. If they reduce the prices, at least they will get some money for their troubles. As the saying goes "Half of something is better than half of nothing"

As the old Thai saying goes.

"Man it's slow, if I reduce my prices I would have to get off my lazy ass and do something that resembles work, so I better raise my prices."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/702766-will-the-chinese-property-buyers-hugely-affect-thailands-property-market/

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/703589-land-prices-to-continue-to-rise-in-bangkok/

If you don't know how the Chinese buy land in Thailand try google or something or ask a Chinese rich guy. They buy hotels, shopping centers and big buildings. They buy in Thailand because the Chinese government is making investment in Chinese property difficult right now.

I know your anecdotal evidence of one condo in Jomtien is supposed to trump 100 business news links available but......

If you want to dispute that Thai real estate is rising try finding a solid link and post it.

Tell that to the Thousands of condo owners in Jomtien who are trying to sell their condo for years already, and don't exceed even at prices way below valued by the apologist real estate agents.

But will they leave the Diaperism guys alone? i hope so for your sake. Are you the guy that walks along beach road wearing a nappy? just asking

Tourists keep coming and the bashers keep bashing. Funny that.

Rather odd comment on a thread about how dead Pattaya is right now... The 'Thai Basher' mantra is getting a bit old too, sometimes the truth hurts, but of course we wouldn't want anyone to lose face, now would we...

• Like 1

I seldom go out (married and all) but headed up to Loi Kroi in CM for a few beers. There was like, no farang men. I'm over 60 and my handsome-looking days are long gone, but if I was that type of guy I could have had a lot of fun. I don't think I've been so popular in a bar since I was station in Subic Bay in the 1980s and the entire fleet was out to sea except for some support ships. When your one of the few men in town, the gals become a whole lot more interested and interesting. lol Anyway, had fun until my step son came looking for me to tell me Mae said it was time to come home. I've had my fun in SE Asia over my lifetime. No regrets. But I tell ya, this is a great time for single guys to book a trip to Thailand. It's a buyers market so to speak. And sure, prices for food, drink, and entertainment have gone up, but they've gone up globally. Thailand is still a bargain.

I know what you are saying, but I was charged 180 baht for a lady's drink on Loi Kroh. I didn't ask the price before hand and I think they just charged what ever they felt like.

Tell that to the Thousands of condo owners in Jomtien who are trying to sell their condo for years already, and don't exceed even at prices way below valued by the apologist real estate agents.

Are you in Thailand? Look around. How many thousands of new rooms do you see going up in the Pattaya area now? 20,000? http://pattayacondoguide.com/new-condominium-and-apartments-developments/in-Jomtien,4.html

Chinese money is coming in by the barrel.

I think 20.000 is even a low estimate, I read reports of 50.000 in Jomtien alone.

But if you are in Thailand take some time to drive around.

How many of those new buildings have been started and are more than 3 years overdue? I can name several right out of my head.

How many projects have been canceled because they couldn't sell the quota to make it affordable to start building ? Again I can name several right out of my head.

How many have been completed where the few buyers are after years still waiting for their title deeds, because the company couldn't sell enough units to pay back the banks. Same answer as above.

I suggest you get real and don't believe everything you read in the newspapers. I can dig up links from 1997 where the Thai government claimed that everything was kosher and they would never devalue the currency, when only days later it all blew up in their face.

Same goes for everywhere in the world, believe the media and you're in for some pain.

Even today I can find articles that claim that the real estate business in the US is in good health. So we should believe that, right ?

Edited by JesseFrank
  • Like 1

Are you in Thailand? Look around. How many thousands of new rooms do you see going up in the Pattaya area now? 20,000? http://pattayacondoguide.com/new-condominium-and-apartments-developments/in-Jomtien,4.html

Chinese money is coming in by the barrel.

I think 20.000 is even a low estimate, I read reports of 50.000 in Jomtien alone.

But if you are in Thailand take some time to drive around.

How many of those new buildings have been started and are more than 3 years overdue? I can name several right out of my head.

How many projects have been canceled because they couldn't sell the quota to make it affordable to start building ? Again I can name several right out of my head.

How many have been completed where the few buyers are after years still waiting for their title deeds, because the company couldn't sell enough units to pay back the banks. Same answer as above.

I suggest you get real and don't believe everything you read in the newspapers. I can dig up links from 1997 where the Thai government claimed that everything was kosher and they would never devalue the currency, when only days later it all blew up in their face.

Same goes for everywhere in the world, believe the media and you're in for some pain.

Even today I can find articles that claim that the real estate business in the US is in good health. So we should believe that, right ?

If you have a link to data explaining why the condos have stopped building post it. It could be labor or finance or a variety of reasons; maybe the workers went back to Cambodia. I'm open to reading any factual information you want to present.

This thread is about the lack of tourism not about foreign investment, condos , the stability of the baht, etc.

Where are the Chinese tourists is the real question and other tourists for that matter. I went to Big C Extra recently, it was packed, but it was predominantly Thai.

The thread so far has been about trying to convince people that the low season is lower than the low season should be.

Since the evidence is all anecdotal the only result is creating a negative feeling about business in Thailand.

Why would a person want to create negative feelings about Thailand?

You want the truth? OK Hotel occupancy rates below.

http://www2.bot.or.th/statistics/BOTWEBSTAT.aspx?reportID=624&language=ENG

The numbers are only in for May so far. The first quarter is about 12% down from last year. I suspect that is accurate so far. How much off for the 2nd quarter? Probably twice that.

I am not trying to create negative feelings about Thailand and I think most people are just observing the obvious, the number of tourists is way down and lowest in my memory since 1998. On the contrary, I have encouraged my friends to come this summer and that I feel perfectly safe here. They are Thailand regulars and have not cancelled. However, if you are a newbie and planning a trip, why would you visit a country in the midst of a military coup and against your own country's travel advisories? The first quarter slump you noted can probably be attributed to the negative press and antigovernment protests. The big question is what will the numbers look like for June and July? Based on what I and many posters here observe, the numbers should reflect our observations.

This thread is about the lack of tourism not about foreign investment, condos , the stability of the baht, etc.

Where are the Chinese tourists is the real question and other tourists for that matter. I went to Big C Extra recently, it was packed, but it was predominantly Thai.

The thread so far has been about trying to convince people that the low season is lower than the low season should be.

Since the evidence is all anecdotal the only result is creating a negative feeling about business in Thailand.

The numbers are only in for May so far. The first quarter is about 12% down from last year. I suspect that is accurate so far. How much off for the 2nd quarter? Probably twice that.

If i may, could i award you the best post of this thread?wai.gif

You are basing your argument on what is posted on Banks of Thailand website?

Would you care to share your knowledge on how BOT collects this data?

How many hotels are included?

Putting aside that BOT can not possibly know the real numbers, there is no way on this planet BOT knows or can find out the occupancy rate of Somchai guesthouse or Somying lodge.

I really do not know why you keep posting links instead of using your own brain and your own eyes to hold up an argumentfacepalm.gif

It's in the link, the figures are based on a survey.

Like all other surveys in Thailand they probably polled 156 people in 15 provinces, and made a conclusion cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Putting aside that BOT can not possibly know the real numbers, there is no way on this planet BOT knows or can find out the occupancy rate of Somchai guesthouse or Somying lodge.

I really do not know why you keep posting links instead of using your own brain and your own eyes to hold up an argumentfacepalm.gif

Like all other surveys in Thailand they probably polled 156 people in 15 provinces, and made a conclusion cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Well then i guess thailiketoo is correct, hotel occupancy is down ONLY 12% from last year because survey of few hotels who most likely lied to make themselves look like a busy business, while most other hotels enjoy empty rooms

Well then i guess thailiketoo is correct, hotel occupancy is down ONLY 12% from last year because survey of few hotels who most likely lied to make themselves look like a busy business, while most other hotels enjoy empty rooms

But that doesn't mean that the figures are correct smile.png

Yup key to your quote is survey. They don't query every hotel in Thailand or any other country. They take a survey of key hotels in every segment and apply percents to all the hotels. So instead of talking to 48,000 (hotels in America) they talk to 5000. It would be too expensive and time consuming to call every hotel. A Survey of 10% is actually more accurate because of data gathering problems of large numbers of hotels or people.

Is that your educated guess or a fact you learned at college? I would like to see links to back this up