Have you ever seen Pattaya so empty of tourists?

Jingthing

Yup key to your quote is survey. They don't query every hotel in Thailand or any other country. They take a survey of key hotels in every segment and apply percents to all the hotels. So instead of talking to 48,000 (hotels in America) they talk to 5000. It would be too expensive and time consuming to call every hotel. A Survey of 10% is actually more accurate because of data gathering problems of large numbers of hotels or people.

Have you noticed that surveys in Thailand don't involve 10% of the target, but merely 0.001% ?

Like 735 people surveyed in 15 provinces, and then they apply the figures to the whole country.

He does not notice much, nor processes much.facepalm.gif

Fact is there are by far more unregistered hotels than registered ones in Thailand.

Fact is there are by far more individually owned hotels than chains who keep some stats and are the ones providing it for the survey

Fact is there are by far more hotels who do not report to immigration, do not pay taxes, are not registered as hotels, are not registered as company than hotels which do.

Fact is, these so called survey's include 5 star hotels, and hotel chains, this surveys do not include all the rest, which make up vast majority of accommodation providers in Thailand

Fact is chains provide occupancy averages for all their hotels based in the country, they do not provide individual location stats.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If one wanted to find out how the current situation was effecting tourism in Pattaya how would an intelligent, market savvy person do it? Lets say a company asked me to find out the current economic situation as regards tourism in Pattaya in some measurable way as opposed to last year or last quarter how would I go about doing it? I believe it's called market research. Anyone have any idea how it's done?

I guess the developers in Jomtien know something the TV experts dont if that skyline is anything to go by - doesnt seem to matter where they plonk a new development as long as the upper floors have that all important view of the ocean. Some seriously unimpressive 'views' closer to street level though.

I guess the developers in Jomtien know something the TV experts dont if that skyline is anything to go by - doesnt seem to matter where they plonk a new development as long as the upper floors have that all important view of the ocean. Some seriously unimpressive 'views' closer to street level though.

I think they know the same as the developers knew in 1997, and it is clear that at that time they knew less than the man in the street, because many of them didn't survive the era.

• Like 1

The prices are so inflated that many want to keep on building.

You will notice a new trend though, many new condo's are around 1 million price tags.

I am on the market for a house or townhouse, have a new development right next to where i live.

They have put up the exterior shells already.

Went to see them, no show room at all, prices about a double of what it should be.

1 month later the site is totally abandoned, 100 meters down the road, another set of townhouses, again the same thing, over priced, but exterior walls up, same thing 1 month later abandoned.

Have a look at Pattaya Tai, LK development, then turn into soi Korpai and you will see 3 sites abandoned.

Make of it what you will

I guess money changes hands, but I was heartened when I saw developers being forced to tear down some of the ancient relics lining Suk a couple of years back. Eventually the value of the land must make it financially viable to do that - some spectacular views of it from various Skytrain platforms too. Anyone unfortunate enough to find themselves in Kuta can see some incredible examples of what can happen when a developer walks away from a large development right on the beach - mind-boggling, but that's what happens when your only accountability is to the fatcats in power.

I think that they are crazy if they increase the prices on food and beer etc. the only thing they will achieve is very little income. If they reduce the prices, at least they will get some money for their troubles. As the saying goes "Half of something is better than half of nothing"

But, that approach takes a certain amount of wisdom, familiarity with competitive pricing, and a real business head on your shoulders. Not many have that combination here.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well they can only sell 49% of the condos so i suppose if they have 51% with crap views no problem.

If one wanted to find out how the current situation was effecting tourism in Pattaya how would an intelligent, market savvy person do it? Lets say a company asked me to find out the current economic situation as regards tourism in Pattaya in some measurable way as opposed to last year or last quarter how would I go about doing it? I believe it's called market research. Anyone have any idea how it's done?

The unit to get a quantitatve answer would be visitor - days. Ie, 3 visitors for 10 days = 30 visitor-days. 5 visitors for 4 days = 20 visitor- days.

To get this number would require collecting data from every type of accomodation in the area.

Hotels,condos.apts, guest houses,houses. Thai domestic visitors would not be included.

Edited by morrobay

I will be in Naklua in a couple of weeks and looking forward to it. Cannot stand it when it gets rammed like Christmas or CNY

Ive flown in Twice in the last Month and had no queuing to do at immigration , It also only took me an hour to drive from Sena in Ayhuttaya to Sukhumvit 11 ,ON A FRIDAY Lunch time.

I've noticed the with the price rise in hard times Thai way of dealing with a mini recession

How could the OP be so dumb for not asking permission to start this thread from the only credible source and self proclaimed authority of this forum.

Indeed. But your all-consuming grudge merely goes back to the Fascino pharmacy thread in which I alerted forum members that Facscino won't allow returns or exchanges for purchased items even if one hasn't left the store with the items. Problem was, as you had no evidence to the contrary, your Third Eye could just never accept that it really might be Fascino policy--this being Thailand, not Blighty. Hence you adamantly insisted I'd made a troll post.w00t.gif Now, I invited you several times to go try it at Fascino and and verify for yourself. Been waitin'. Any other members, go try it. If I'm wrong, I'll be most happy to admit it, wonder why they only treated me that way, and we can all accept the superior prescience of the Third Eye.

Next. biggrin.png

I think this topic needs to be debated at length so we can get an idea of what to expect.

Firstly prices have gone through the roof and that includes LT asking prices 1500 BF 4500 LT which I use as the economic cornerstone for Pattaya . . . It's almost cheaper in Europe now. When prices are even we can expect them to level out at the least.

Anyway I have a background in Economics so I was surprised then prices increased faster with decreasing demand

I believe this is why

Let's take the UK for example . . After recession hit In 2009 we saw inflation on goods and services go up to the highest level for many years. 6-7%

1. This is because people and business try to match falling demand with higher prices

2. this works for a short period as customers have savings and people will in turn continue to pay more to maintain there standard of living.

3. After some time people run out of money and only then stop buying.

4. Then one of 4 things tend to happen. Business aether go bust or drop there price to become competitive or the currency devalues. If the currency is pegged/ or a single money is used like in Europe and currency can't devalue the service quality reduces or prices fall which is more damaging.

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But then again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It's a pity you don't have a background in common sense. 4500bt long time. What a mug , they must see you coming.

• Like 1

Here is my take on whether Pattaya is empty. On Tuesday the 1st of July (just after payday) I left work at 5pm in my car from Pratumnak and drove to Central Festival. I had parked on the 2nd floor of Festival before 5.15pm. I walked up to the Apple shop and was served immediately. They told me I had to go to Tuk Com. I went back to my car and drove to TukCom and was alble to park on the street and was in Tuk Com by 5.35pm.

Anyone who lives or drives here regularly will be able to put these facts together and come to a conclusion.

Edited by Sigurris
  • Like 2

I think this topic needs to be debated at length so we can get an idea of what to expect.

Firstly prices have gone through the roof and that includes LT asking prices 1500 BF 4500 LT which I use as the economic cornerstone for Pattaya . . . It's almost cheaper in Europe now. When prices are even we can expect them to level out at the least.

Anyway I have a background in Economics so I was surprised then prices increased faster with decreasing demand

I believe this is why

Let's take the UK for example . . After recession hit In 2009 we saw inflation on goods and services go up to the highest level for many years. 6-7%

1. This is because people and business try to match falling demand with higher prices

2. this works for a short period as customers have savings and people will in turn continue to pay more to maintain there standard of living.

4. Then one of 4 things tend to happen. Business aether go bust or drop there price to become competitive or the currency devalues. If the currency is pegged/ or a single money is used like in Europe and currency can't devalue the service quality reduces or prices fall which is more damaging.

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues the there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But thene corr again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

You have a background in economic do you? Are you sure? If you had knew anything about economic then you would know that the jump in prices in the UK followed a huge fall in the GBP and price rises were largely a response to the correspondingly higher import prices.

Dunce

I'm not sure why you had to tell us you had a background in economics. It rather diminishes your post on the strong possibility your type know the cost of everything , but alas , the value of nothing. Somewhat substantiated if you're paying 4500bt long time.

The unit to get a quantitatve answer would be visitor - days. Ie, 3 visitors for 10 days = 30 visitor-days. 5 visitors for 4 days = 20 visitor- days.

To get this number would require collecting data from every type of accomodation in the area.

Hotels,condos.apts, guest houses,houses. Thai domestic visitors would not be included.

Ya, most people call it hotel occupancy. The numbers are readily available from google.

Well they can only sell 49% of the condos so i suppose if they have 51% with crap views no problem.

If the developer has no intention of selling the 51% Thai quota, then it isn't a problem.

I believe this is why

Conclusion

I would expect that is this continues there may just be hope that we could return to a cheeper and less tourist saturated pattaya .... But then again who knows with Thailand it seems to have a mind of own.

Any thoughts?

It's a pity you don't have a background in common sense. 4500bt long time. What a mug , they must see you coming.

Quite typical is 4k and they don't negotiate (BF is up to the bar and non-negotiable). It doesn't matter if they see you coming or not.smile.png You may be heavy on common sense, but the bg's don't possess it, however the fact that they all ask the same does indicate some intelligence.

You'd be surprised that many bars are quite busy even in this period.

I believe this is why

Conclusion

Any thoughts?

Quite typical is 4k and they don't negotiate (BF is up to the bar and non-negotiable). It doesn't matter if they see you coming or not.smile.png You may be heavy on common sense, but the bg's don't possess it, however the fact that they all ask the same does indicate some intelligence.

Bar fines 4k? I think you have a terminology problem.

I believe this is why

Conclusion

Any thoughts?

He wrote q u i t e t y p y c a l is 4k AND they do not negotiate BF

I think you have problems reading? No?

• Like 1

No. I thought he meant 4k BF.

cheesy.gif , so you do have problems reading

cheesy.gif , so you do have problems reading

Either way.

Edited by thailiketoo