Internet

djc45

I live in a village between khon kaen and udon thani and I cannot get a phone line installed as TOT say they need 10 houses to want a phone line installed so I doubt that will happen

I have heard about ‘ipstar’ I think it’s called but I don’t know if that will be better than the gprs I use at the moment

Has anyone got any good advice for me please

Just 5 minutes ago, I spoke to a member in Khemerrat(sp) , he was using GPRS , NOKIA 3230.

and it was clearer than a normal call, we were using gmail talk.

Skype would have been slightly better.

Cost was 9600b for the nokia plus 550b for the usb cable, speed was 460 kbps. :o

I live in a village between khon kaen and udon thani and I cannot get a phone line installed as TOT say they need 10 houses to want a phone line installed so I doubt that will happen

I have heard about ‘ipstar’ I think it’s called but I don’t know if that will be better than the gprs I use at the moment

Has anyone got any good advice for me please

I live and work in KK and understand your issues.

Your main challenge is to achieve speeds faster than dial up.

A phone line will give you this but you might have to gift a phone line to 9 others in the street to get this! Even with a phone line ADSL is out of the question due to your distance from DSLAM at exchange.

IPSTAR seems to struggle to deliver anywhere near claimed performance or stability of service.

Most users on here complain that its same as dial up....others swear by it.

If your GPRS connection is anywhere near dial up, then i would stick with it in the hope that WIMAX arrives soon. Some testing has been done in Roi-Et. Wimax is a wireless broadband solution that has a range of 50km. Its the "last mile" solution that we have all been waiting for.

Was about to say the same.. No way on gods earth GPRS performs at those speeds and I strongly doubt he was using GPRS in any way to do VoIP..

Was he within an edge network range ??

HTF would I know?

I'm in a shed in Beirut... :o

Hang on a minute, I'll get a taxi out to Sydney airport and get the next flt to BKK and head up the Khem and check everything out for all you doubting Thomases..... :D:D

Just 5 minutes ago, I spoke to a member in Khemerrat(sp) , he was using GPRS , NOKIA 3230.

and it was clearer than a normal call, we were using gmail talk.

Skype would have been slightly better.

Cost was 9600b for the nokia plus 550b for the usb cable, speed was 460 kbps. :D

Hey UDON!, love ya garden shed, how much left on your morgage? QUESTION:- my fiancee lives in UDON THANI, and wants the net put on, is there a decent internet connection in Thailand, or is it all F...ked. :o

Was about to say the same.. No way on gods earth GPRS performs at those speeds and I strongly doubt he was using GPRS in any way to do VoIP..

I am the guy that Udon is talking about and I also had the understanding that voip could not be used over GPRS but the proof is in the pudding. Yesterday afternoon I spoke to him using google talk which I understand to be voip and everything was clear as a bell with a slight delay.

The phone I have is a nokia 3230 connected to AIS GPRS network. When I connect to the network with the notebook I get the indication of speed which is always 460 kbps and I have checked the icon at the mottom of the screen which also tells me the same speed.

The only other way for me to prove it is for anyone of you guys to come up and have a look yourself.

Could be a good excuse for a beer.

Cheers

Udon,

the 460 kbps you see indicated is the speed your computer can talk with your mobile phone...

Unfortunately it's not the speed your mobile phone can talk to the internet :o

I'm pretty amazed you had any usable voip connection. I tried google talk, skype, net2phone and none of them worked. The conversation gets completely broken up, mainly because most of the time data on a gprs connection comes in bursts instead of a steady stream....

i can get a steady stream at 4.1kbps (which is the max my cell modem can handle)with gprs using the newsgroups, but i haven't tried google talk or any of the othe programs. and you can buy a nokia 6630 for under 10K baht now.

Udon,

the 460 kbps you see indicated is the speed your computer can talk with your mobile phone...

Unfortunately it's not the speed your mobile phone can talk to the internet :o

I'm pretty amazed you had any usable voip connection. I tried google talk, skype, net2phone and none of them worked. The conversation gets completely broken up, mainly because most of the time data on a gprs connection comes in bursts instead of a steady stream....

The voip was perfect using google talk.

Yesterday we tried our webcams, no problem there but voip wouldn't work with the webcams... no surprise there!

Sezzo is 5km from the transmitter, maybe the phone quality and distance is the factor.

Might try Skype later on today. :D

Pls direct your questions to Sezzo.

Maybe the guy had a Nokia N80 or E60 which supports WI-Fi and can do VioP with no problems......

Are you suggesting that Sezzo doesn't know what phone model he bought and is using? :o

Or, do you have a comprehension prob? :D

I am the guy that Udon is talking about and I also had the understanding that voip could not be used over GPRS but the proof is in the pudding. Yesterday afternoon I spoke to him using google talk which I understand to be voip and everything was clear as a bell with a slight delay.

The phone I have is a nokia 3230 connected to AIS GPRS network. When I connect to the network with the notebook I get the indication of speed which is always 460 kbps and I have checked the icon at the mottom of the screen which also tells me the same speed.

The only other way for me to prove it is for anyone of you guys to come up and have a look yourself.

Could be a good excuse for a beer.

Cheers

As already said thats the speed of the connection to the phone not the speed on the network.. If you do a speedtest using any of the bandwidth testers it will give a rating and I think will top out at 40kpbs or so..

I know I use GPRS and a mobile with bluetooth when travelling around to make easy email collection.. Tried skype and didnt have a hope.. Broken, echo'ey, disconnected etc.. Your lucky to get that going.

EDGE would work bearably I would think and CDMA also I suspect (80kbps real speeds on CDMA ??)..

Anyway still up for the beer :o !!

Except for the past few weeks, I have to say I've always seen better packet prioritization on GPRS than I did on True ADSL... yes it is a low bandwidth and very high latency, but it is pretty consistent. Even when saturating the link with a download, another ping or low bandwidth client gets relatively low packet loss. This is because they do a proper job of setting buffer sizes so that they don't accept more data than they can handle...

I've done H.323 calls from BKK to the US over GPRS in the past, and they sounded fine. Maybe slightly reminiscent of the Apollo 13 movie with transmission delays. The trick is having low-bandwidth codecs installed on each side so they can be properly applied. If all else fails, you can use the GSM codec which, surprisingly enough, works with 9600 bps. :o

Also, it may work fine in practice when you tend to talk in "half duplex" with your friend, i.e. one person speaks at a time. It may go wonky when you both try to talk, since the over-the-air bandwidth is shared between upstream and downstream data. (Most GPRS modems can automatically adjust the number of "slots" of bandwidth for up and down).

Well I have enjoyed looking at the posts arguing about what speed the gprs can achieve but not had much advice on my op about ipstar

Fair enough. :o

I don't recall seeing a favourable post about Ipstar.

Have you done a search for Ipstar in this forum?

Well I have enjoyed looking at the posts arguing about what speed the gprs can achieve but not had much advice on my op about ipstar

Hi there,

I am in a situation similar to yours, living in a village south of Chiang Rai with no land line. I have been using IPSTAR for about 2 months. No complaints. I have a 1Mbps/512 Kbps package through TOT at 2600 B/month + tax.

I used to use GPRS before, but it was a pain and skyping was not possible.

Now I get an international bandwith between 250 and 320 Kbps, a domestic bandwith between 850 and 980 Kbps, very few service interruptions (generally during the peak of a storm or intermittently, every few days, for a few minutes at a time) and skype works fine, most of the time. The most severe slowdowns are in the evening when everyone gets online.

Hope this helps.

Paul

Hi there,

I am in a situation similar to yours, living in a village south of Chiang Rai with no land line. I have been using IPSTAR for about 2 months. No complaints. I have a 1Mbps/512 Kbps package through TOT at 2600 B/month + tax.

I used to use GPRS before, but it was a pain and skyping was not possible.

Now I get an international bandwith between 250 and 320 Kbps, a domestic bandwith between 850 and 980 Kbps, very few service interruptions (generally during the peak of a storm or intermittently, every few days, for a few minutes at a time) and skype works fine, most of the time. The most severe slowdowns are in the evening when everyone gets online.

Hope this helps.

Paul

cheers paul, thanks for your info i have e-maild ipstar for info but still no reply from them

Ipstar STINKS! Nearly every download is corrupted and a waste of time to even try to download anything. I routinely complain and here is the last reply I received;

Regarding to the problem of iPSTAR service delay and the frequent disconnection during the past few weeks, we have investigated and found that some groups of customers have excessively used the services offered corresponding to the application's conditions, and the bandwidth is consequently congested.

However, the company have not ignored the problem. We are trying to allocate the bandwidth and to find the best way to entirely support the customers. At the moment, the customers may still face such problem as we are now in the process to find the best solution.

Ipstar STINKS! Nearly every download is corrupted and a waste of time to even try to download anything. I routinely complain and here is the last reply I received;

Regarding to the problem of iPSTAR service delay and the frequent disconnection during the past few weeks, we have investigated and found that some groups of customers have excessively used the services offered corresponding to the application's conditions, and the bandwidth is consequently congested.

Translation: we don't have enough b/w to serve our customers so everything breaks down when customers get serious downloading or P2Ping. We don't even have a clue on how to configure our own routers to properly implement per-customer b/w limits because our network "engineers" are a bunch of low-paid loosers who can't even read an english-language Cisco documentation.

However, the company have not ignored the problem. We are trying to allocate the bandwidth and to find the best way to entirely support the customers. At the moment, the customers may still face such problem as we are now in the process to find the best solution.

Translation: since we can't figure this out, we've asked the Big Guys to buy more b/w from CAT, but the Big Guys said "no way, this home Internet user business operates at loss anyway, we're going to kill it and sell the satellite b/w to the burmese for their communications. They can't buy any high tech service from any western company so they're willing to buy any kind of service at any price from us".

So live with it.

--Lannig