Will the new helipad add to the cost

Maejo Man

interesting thought. Central Festival has a helipad. at least the ice skaters that bang their heads on the ice can get a quick lift over there. hard to imagine that they let new skaters go on the ice without some type of helmet on. seen a couple of people bang their heads on the ice; one woman cracked it open and had a seizure right there on the ice. took the EMT guys forever to get there - and even longer for a nurse to arrive.

Well they didn't airlift me out last week when I broke my wrist in 3 places. The ice is disaster. As a seasoned hockey player with my own hockey skates, I would have to say it's the worsr rink I have skated on. It's a challenge for skaters of any level.

Condensation drops off the roof overnight, and sets hard as bumbs on the ice. I saw a worker trying to "shovel" them off!! They have a Zamboni there, but nobody seems to know how to drive it,rolleyes.gif

Edited by Maejo Man
  • Like 1

Its pointless surely. My guess is they have seen western designed hospitals with H on the roof and think its a decorative feature.

Before I came here I used to sponsor the sole air ambulance for our biggest uk county. I think it costs around 10million baht a month to finance its operation....a charity of course, not funded by NHS.

Can you really see a copter landing on a superhighway, winching a man down Doi Suthep or airlifting the next high rise jump candidate.

Its easier and cheaper to let someone die and get a days newspaper coverage.

As I said its a big H for creative design.

Its pointless surely. My guess is they have seen western designed hospitals with H on the roof and think its a decorative feature.

Can you really see a copter landing on a superhighway, winching a man down Doi Suthep or airlifting the next high rise jump candidate.

There is a helipad on Doi Suthep with room for three helicopters to land, it is just a little past the temple on the left.

• Like 1

There is a helipad on Doi Suthep with room for three helicopters to land, it is just a little past the temple on the left.

My point is, where is the helicopter, and is there a pilot on stand by and who is paying for it.

So I ask....has anyone ever seen the air ambulance or is it just a dream?

I don't think that helipad is for us "mere mortals" in case we twist an ankle or two, hiking on the mountain. They're for the the occupants of the big house just a bit further up the hill, right hand sidel...

Edited by MESmith
  • Like 1

I think anyone who has seen the state of ome of the supposed ambulances here would realise a dedicated air ambulance won't happen, though the police/army helicopters we see flying around at times may be able to do a job getting people to hospitals.

Anyone falling and breaking bones up in the mountains would be very grateful they can avoid the comfort of a pick up truck swinging around mountain roads on the way to hospital.

I think anyone who has seen the state of ome of the supposed ambulances here would realise a dedicated air ambulance won't happen, though the police/army helicopters we see flying around at times may be able to do a job getting people to hospitals.

Anyone falling and breaking bones up in the mountains would be very grateful they can avoid the comfort of a pick up truck swinging around mountain roads on the way to hospital.

The only way out from where I hike is to be carried out on a stretcher. But as there's no phone signal & I usually hike alone, I'll be long gone before they find me...

I saw a girl fall on that ice and hurt herself, she was carrying on quite a bit but have no idea how bad as the bark doesn't always equal the bite. Anyway they quicky put her on a stretcher and ran her into the back room looking like something they have practiced after the initial rash of accidents when the rink opened. Guess they just swept her under the proverbial rug so to speak.

Well they didn't airlift me out last week when I broke my wrist in 3 places. The ice is disaster. As a seasoned hockey player with my own hockey skates, I would have to say it's the worsr rink I have skated on. It's a challenge for skaters of any level.

Condensation drops off the roof overnight, and sets hard as bumbs on the ice. I saw a worker trying to "shovel" them off!! They have a Zamboni there, but nobody seems to know how to drive it,rolleyes.gif

My 13 yo son skates there, never done it before but has no problems, you sure you haven't lost your touch? :)

• Like 1

I played ice hockey on the river behind my house as a kid and took my Thai boys skating there. We had a great time but went right at opening time during the summer holiday not a weekend. Until early afternoon it was fine but then the bigger kids came and started showing off dangerously. We left with all limbs intact at that point.

Edited by junglechef
  • Like 1

Chiang Mai Ram also has (or had) a helipad. Probably not operational now, but it was definitely there 20 years ago.

Suan Dok (or the CMU Neurological Hospital - i forget which one) has a helipad too.

My 13 yo son skates there, never done it before but has no problems, you sure you haven't lost your touch? smile.png

You could of course be completely right. My son, who plays competition hockey said something along similar lines rolleyes.gif

There may not be dedicated air ambulance based at the hospital but on occasions the RTAF will fly stretcher cases in so its handy to have a helipad. Wasn't it a few months ago that somebody related to the royal family was injured in a bad car accident south of chiang mai? The RTAF or RTP quizzed over in their chopper and flew her into a city hospital.

I think the helipad up near Phu ping Palace is RTAF vip helipad and gets used at least few times a year. I use it myself as a rest stop when I cycle up to Doi Pui! I sit on the steps and have a drink and a snack.

With enough morphine, you would be surprised how comfortable a pickup bed can be.

• Like 1

I played ice hockey on the river behind my house as a kid and took my Thai boys skating there. We had a great time but went right at opening time during the summer holiday not a weekend. Until early afternoon it was fine but then the bigger kids came and started showing off dangerously. We left with all limbs intact at that point.

it gets very dicey out there with people speed skating and playing tag, dangerously weaving in and out of beginner skaters and some of the worst offenders are the rink 'guards', abit like thai roads really