retirement or marriage visa

I qualify for both, can I make the choice myself - or is there any rules that apply. It seems easier and faster to obtain a retirement visa. I am aware that a retirement visa must start with non-immigrant "O-A" and marriage visa non-immigrant "O". Thanks for your answers.smile.png

When the time comes to apply for an extension you simply fill in the desired reason for the extension: marriage to a Thai or retirement and present the required paperwork that goes with that reason for an extension.

No brainier. Extension for reason of retirement. Simple wife not needed to go along. Less paperwork like divorce cert. etc. Aldo you seem to be treated mote respectfully.

Sent from my GT-I9082 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Treated with more respect eh!

What do they do, roll out a red carpet.

What a load of.

Have a Nice Day.

Would like to add to that comment that said "dont need to bring the wife along".. I personally believe that if we are not fluent in thai, that

it is really a good thing to bring the wife with you. She can clear up some questions from the officers easily for you, and she doesn´t do any

harm whatsoever!!! It is always good to show up a good relationship....

Glegolo

• Like 2

Go for a retirement visa! I switched back to one after hassle and grief with a marriage one. The retirement one is so much easier - and I agree with some of the posters, no need to take the wife and often better if you don't!

You should choose your VISA/extension to match your intentions for being in Thailand.

If you are retired, then choose retirement VISA.

If you are married to a Thai then choose marriage VISA.

If you are married to a Thai, but that marriage is not relevant to your living in Thailand and you would still want to stay even after divorce, retirement VISA.

• Like 2

You should choose your VISA/extension to match your intentions for being in Thailand.

If you are married to a Thai, but that marriage is not relevant to your living in Thailand and you would still want to stay even after divorce, retirement VISA.

This is a extremely strange post in my eyes. Why confuse people with such a contents.....IF you are above 50 years old and have enough money to be accepted as applying for extension based on retirement, go for it. It is much easier,,,,,

This is all people need to know, Tthe rest, I have no idea what you are talking about...

Glegolo

This is a extremely strange post in my eyes. Why confuse people with such a contents.....IF you are above 50 years old and have enough money to be accepted as applying for extension based on retirement, go for it. It is much easier,,,,,

This is all people need to know, Tthe rest, I have no idea what you are talking about...

Glegolo

I am sorry that you found the post by AOA to be "extremely strange". Personally, I found his post quite useful and well laid out and here's why.

If you have sufficient monthly income or the required amount on deposit in a Thai bank, and you are quite comfortable with that regardless of whether you are married to a Thai, then obviously the extension of stay based on retirement is good.method is good.

However some foreign residents prefer to use the marriage extension because the financial requirements are less and presumably the marriage is solid.

I don't think he confused too many people since I believe there are only the two methods of extending stay relative to what we are talking about, retirement and marriage.

Cheers

• Like 2

I am sorry that you found the post by AOA to be "extremely strange". Personally, I found his post quite useful and well laid out and here's why.

If you have sufficient monthly income or the required amount on deposit in a Thai bank, and you are quite comfortable with that regardless of whether you are married to a Thai, then obviously the extension of stay based on retirement is good.method is good.

However some foreign residents prefer to use the marriage extension because the financial requirements are less and presumably the marriage is solid.

I don't think he confused too many people since I believe there are only the two methods of extending stay relative to what we are talking about, retirement and marriage.

Cheers

Not to mention,

Retirement extensions might suddenly become a lot harder to get.

Restricting marriage extensions would be an international human rights issue.

There have been a number of reports in the past of married over-50's being asked/recommended/steered by immigration to go down the retirement extension route rather than the marriage extension route. Though if you wanted to stand your ground and do the marriage extension, that was possible but it was not what was suggested by immigration.

I do not know why immigration preferred the retirement extension over the marriage extension.

• Like 1

Like I said, I can qualify for both - but like to choose "the easiest way" (which seems to be retirement). I live in a happy marriage and I don´t mind bringing my wife to the Immigration. But the point is, - can they turn me back and say that I must apply for a marriage extension, even if I have all the "stuff" for the retirement application ?

Like I said, I can qualify for both - but like to choose "the easiest way" (which seems to be retirement). I live in a happy marriage and I don´t mind bringing my wife to the Immigration. But the point is, - can they turn me back and say that I must apply for a marriage extension, even if I have all the "stuff" for the retirement application ?

See my post above, it is much more likely that if you applied for marriage extension they would try to steer you on to retirement extension.

• Like 1

So that is what I am going to do 1 month before my multiple entry Non Immigrant O expires. Thank you very much for all the information biggrin.png

It is up to you which extension you want to get.

I have already done 6 extensions based upon marriage and have found that it is not that a big deal to get them. To me it is certainly not worth the extra financial proof needed. The extra 400k in the bank needed could well be put to better use than being tied up in bank accounts. Or if your income is short of 65k meaning you would have to put some money in the bank to make up the difference.

Another consideration not mentioned is that you can work if you want to on an extension based upon marriage Retirement you cannot do it.

• Like 1

Cheers

Not to mention,

Retirement extensions might suddenly become a lot harder to get.

Restricting marriage extensions would be an international human rights issue.

Policy towards retirement extensions might conceivably change one day. However you would need to be a bit paranoid to worry about a retirement extension being cancelled mid term. So, why not go for the marriage extension if you are a married 50+ year old who can rub together the 800k?

From what I observe form friends/acquaintances many expats do nonetheless go down the marriage extension route for financial reasons (including the reason of not wanting to commit another 400k (even on a temporary basis) to a Thai bank account.

Having the choice is a luxury - long may it remain!