which tire set? - Honda cbr650f

ll2

Well, as some of you aware, my rear tire is torn apart by a metal object around 10 cm long and 4 cm wide at the bottom!

Rear tire is beyond any fix and even if they do, i do not feel confident as it is not a clean hole like a nail that you can patch it up/get vulcanized. It is quite a big hole.

So, now need choose a tire set:

1- Get the stock Dunlop Sportmax - as i can use road side assistance of Honda which is really a hassle free and fast option as do not want to take a horrible 2 hour taxi ride back home today! - even the though of a taxi ride makes me shiver! it is between 5000 - 6000 thb but honda might not have one in stock today they said:((( they are checking now.

2- Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa: Nice compromise on grip and longevity. Always good reviews fast tire, good feedback, warms up quickly. can use it on track 13,600 thb set

3- Pirelli Supercorsa SP: I can also use it on track but longevity and durability is an issue for them although best grip you can find around. 14,700 thb set

4- Pirelli Rosso2: Used them before for 15k km and there were way to go even more 5000 km. nice grip and wet performance. but price so close to Rosso Corsas that makes me think. 12,900 thb set.

Also have 15 percent discount coupon from Competizioni Pirelli Bangkok - the guys organizing track days so 15 percent off from the price above.

And insurance has 5000 thb deductible so dont thinks so it is reasonable to even call them on this and lose the discount next year.

And what do you recommend for the tires listed?

Thanks in advance.

No's 1 or 4. Thai roads eat up track/racing tires.

Bigwing has no tire in stock until Thursday:(( - it is 5850 thb by the way for rear stock Dunlop which are not that bad tires actually.

So, now no reason for me to use their road side assistance as they carry your bike only to Bigwings according to their rules. s/it! Cannot wait until Thursday.

Checking 'big wheel bangkok' as they are 2 km to my office and can drag/ride the bike there if i pump up some air and tuck fully on the tank so weight goes to the front and ride 10 km per hour max.

Also reviews say like rosso2s and diablo rosso corsas have nearly the same longevity. So might go for it this time as price difference is very minimal and you get a lot of tire with DRC.

Dont want to take a taxi or getting driven by a colleague today man!!!

Now at big wheel bangkok at prachaniwet road. They have rosso2 s in stock 11 k thb after 15 percent discount coupon. They dont have supercorsas today in stock but they can bring a set tomorrow. So it is either rosso2 for 11k thb today or diablo rosso corsas for 11.700 thb tomorrow. Found a motorbike taxi to ride me home 20 kms just in case. Still thinking now!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Ok. Got rosso2s. Best choice for my commuting and its wet performance and longevity made me choose it.

But will buy a set of supercorsa sps for track just before the first track day just for track day. So found the perfect balance this way.

Dont want to eat a set of diablo rosso corsas on metro construction roads of bangkok.

Also can ride home now:lol:

Now at big wheel bangkok at prachaniwet road. They have rosso2 s in stock 11 k thb after 15 percent discount coupon. They dont have supercorsas today in stock but they can bring a set tomorrow. So it is either rosso2 for 11k thb today or diablo rosso corsas for 11.700 thb tomorrow. Found a motorbike taxi to ride me home 20 kms just in case. Still thinking now!

Just trade your bike in and get new bike with new tires, easy enough.

• Like 2

I've been reading up about Pirelli Angel GT's. Thinking of fitting them to my Triumph Thruxton. Anyone with experience with them?

I have the Angels on my CB500F.

Great tires for everyday use and touring, nice grip, sticky in the corners.

Did 10K km now and they can do with a replacement.

Not bad value for the price.

I think I paid around 11K baht for the set at Showpow.

best tyres i recall having on my ninja 650 were bridgestones

not many places sell them in bkk but they stuck the road like <deleted> glue

and even made the braking distances shorter

they were a very soft sticky compound ,cant remember the model number

they were already on it when i bought the bike

I've been reading up about Pirelli Angel GT's. Thinking of fitting them to my Triumph Thruxton. Anyone with experience with them?

You sure they aren't the previous Angel ST tyres as the Angel GT have only been available here a few months?

You sure they aren't the previous Angel ST tyres as the Angel GT have only been available here a few months?

It are the GT's I have.

And yes, some people do ride 10K km in a few months.

It are the GT's I have.

And yes, some people do ride 10K km in a few months.

i rode on rosso2s for 8000 km on my cbr500r - sorry stated 15,000 km before but was remembering wrong - but sure there were lots of thread and tires could go for additional 5000 km easily but than i trade in the bike.

Also did two track days with them during that 8000 km too.

Edited by ll2

How is your bike handling with the new tires

Pirelli rosso2s are perfect for my needs. Lots of confidence, grip, better tire profile for better lean angle. Holds great on wet surfaces and even wet metal plates!

Also turn ins became faster and bike feels more nimble.

Besides it provides good traction. Bike goes faster, brakes better and rear does not slide much anymore under hard acceleration.

Only downside is, tires are so rigid which makes them jumpy on bad surfaces a bit but it might be because they are set at maximum pressure honda recommends - 42 rear 36 front. Pirelli guys recommended that way claiming that pirellis like more pressure. Good for smooth roads but not good for bad surfaces. So if i go down 2 psi, it will feel greater.

Totally recommended.

Pirelli rosso2s are perfect for my needs. Lots of confidence, grip, better tire profile for better lean angle. Holds great on wet surfaces and even wet metal plates!

Besides it provides good traction. Bike goes faster, brakes better and rear does not slide much anymore under hard acceleration.

Only downside is, tires are so rigid which makes them jumpy on bad surfaces a bit but it might be because they are set at maximum pressure honda recommends - 42 rear 36 front. Pirelli guys recommended that way claiming that pirellis like more pressure. Good for smooth roads but not good for bad surfaces. So if i go down 2 psi, it will feel greater.

Totally recommended.

Are these better than the tires which came with the bike, I love my Pirelli Diablos on my PCX unbelievable difference in handling. I am one who always discounts the hype on stuff like tires but when I put Pirellis on it was unbelievable. Good riding

• Like 1

I have the scorpion trails on my Multistrada. In fact I had them on all my previous bikes in Thailand. IMO the perfect tyre for the Thai (often) rough roads. And they do last too. I do 10k on them on a powerful bike. Angel GT's are great too. Heard many goods things about them. They also come standard on the Multistrada GT. Anyhow it all depends on ones riding what to choose. I would only go for very soft tyres like the corsas and supercorsas If I would be a track guy.

Totally recommended.

42-36 is high and only needed when riding two up. That's what Honda has to assume when they give you the values for safety reasons. When you ride alone 36-32 is enough. Also more comfortable. When riding in hot climate countries (boiling hot tarmac) pressures easily increase by 10%. Over the years I have also noticed that Thais like to put a lot of air in their tyres. Edited by Nickymaster

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Totally recommended.

Are these better than the tires which came with the bike, I love my Pirelli Diablos on my PCX unbelievable difference in handling. I am one who always discounts the hype on stuff like tires but when I put Pirellis on it was unbelievable. Good riding

pirelli rosso2s are a lot better than stocks, you cannot even compare them. i was getting skidding most of the time under hard acceleration but now it is gone with pirellis.

also bike brakes great now and a lot nimble.

yesterday managed to test the wet performance of the tires as it was raining and braked hard a couple of times to test the front and rear and ABS did nto get activated.

i used rosso2 before on my cbr500r but changes feels greater on a more powerful bike with big size of tires.

42-36 is high and only needed when riding two up. That's what Honda has to assume when they give you the values for safety reasons. When you ride alone 36-32 is enough. Also more comfortable. When riding in hot climate countries (boiling hot tarmac) pressures easily increase by 10%. Over the years I have also noticed that Thais like to put a lot of air in their tyres.

honda cbr650f manual states 36 - 42 as recommended air pressure - same for two up. yes, it is high sure.

with my old stock dunlops 36 - 42 was too much so i was using 34 - 40 for daily use. lower pressure is good for comfort and most importantly grip for me but at the expense of tire life. I do not want to go softer and destroy the tires as roads around where i live and commute are rough - constant deep bumps and holes, metal plates with sharp edges and mount points, road changes everyday etc which makes my commute a daily adventure!

Also reviews states that Pirelli corsas like more air in them and i listened the big wheel guys as they sell pirelli tires and race on them for a long time - two modified to the moon nicely and expensively bmw s1000rr sit on the shop. Actually, they are not wrong as if the roads are smooth, that setup should be nice but not where i live!

today, will drop the pressure to 34 - 40 and see how it goes.

Edited by ll2

II2 I ran the Rosso II's for two years and they are a great road tire but the difference with the SP2's is night and day. For BKK Rosso II's are your best choice but wait until you get the SP2's. You will be shocked by their cornering ability. My only complaint with them is they seem to be slightly heavier and I've lost a little top end speed but that could be to do with the speedo or me gaining weight. I'm going to try one of those GPS apps to calibrate my speed.

Take Care.

• Like 1

II2 I ran the Rosso II's for two years and they are a great road tire but the difference with the SP2's is night and day. For BKK Rosso II's are your best choice but wait until you get the SP2's. You will be shocked by their cornering ability. My only complaint with them is they seem to be slightly heavier and I've lost a little top end speed but that could be to do with the speedo or me gaining weight. I'm going to try one of those GPS apps to calibrate my speed.

Take Care.

sorry , SP2's ? what tire is that ?

Take Care.

of course pirelli supercorsa sps are better tires. but they are soft so sure they dont last a month or two for me in Bangkok.

I will get a set of them at the track day just for track. So rosso2s for Bangkok rides and touring and supercorsa sps for track days.

Perfect combination!

• Like 1

Take Care.

sorry , SP2's ? what tire is that ?

Pirelli Supercorsa. SP relates to the softness of the compound SP0 is the softest. Check out the Pirelli website.

• Like 1