Abandoned Bangkok mall's bizarre basement aquarium to be investigated

webfact

As I understand it from TV posters the real problem is with the banks and in particular accounting practises. If the building is sold or torn down

the banks have to take a loss on the project. If it is left to crumble the banks can leave the value at the amount of debt outstanding on the building

as an asset. The value listed does not have to reflect current fair market value. (Price of land minus cost of demolition)

Not sure if this is true but that is the reason I have been told there are so many derelict buildings from the Asian crisis from the late 90's. whistling.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not tear it down? Along with all the other derelict abandon buildings in the city?

Don't call them derelict...it's just they haven't been painted since construction (with no plans to paint)....and black mold can build up quite a bit after a decade or so. The concept of periodic painting is not a concept many Thais embrace.

I am not Thai. However, I don't embrace the concept of painting much either. My race, the human race.Though TV comments are often so racist it is laughable reading them. Though sympathetic to how the haters must be suffering and drowning in their grief and wrong doings....misguided lives and conceptualisations. I too was once very lost. Read a book. Things of this nature (the Mall) are common worldwide. We're building this world. Push, pull or get out of the way. Have nice day.

? Don't know what that reply about the human race, racist comments on TV and the rest of it was about but to address the concept of leaving buildings bare concrete without painting you should understand the concept of spalling concrete. Overtime and in a humid/wet climate as in Thailand, cement cracks. Moisture gets into the cracks and attacks the rebar and steel (what little is used in Thai construction). Over time the rebar/steel rusts and weakens the structure. That is why you see smart building owners repair the spalling and paint with at waterproof paint every 15 to 20 years. You will not see that happen much in Thailand but will see it in more advanced countries.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why not tear it down? Along with all the other derelict abandon buildings in the city?

Don't call them derelict...it's just they haven't been painted since construction (with no plans to paint)....and black mold can build up quite a bit after a decade or so. The concept of periodic painting is not a concept many Thais embrace.

I am not Thai. However, I don't embrace the concept of painting much either. My race, the human race.Though TV comments are often so racist it is laughable reading them. Though sympathetic to how the haters must be suffering and drowning in their grief and wrong doings....misguided lives and conceptualisations. I too was once very lost. Read a book. Things of this nature (the Mall) are common worldwide. We're building this world. Push, pull or get out of the way. Have nice day.

? Don't know what that reply about the human race, racist comments on TV and the rest of it was about but to address the concept of leaving buildings bare concrete without painting you should understand the concept of spalling concrete. Overtime and in a humid/wet climate as in Thailand, cement cracks. Moisture gets into the cracks and attacks the rebar and steel (what little is used in Thai construction). Over time the rebar/steel rusts and weakens the structure. That is why you see smart building owners repair the spalling and paint with at waterproof paint every 15 to 20 years. You will not see that happen much in Thailand but will see it in more advanced countries.

Exactly.

The structural integrity of the building is severely compromised when a moisture barrier is not present.

Cheers

Amazing Thailandclap2.gifwhistling.gif

Someone has more money then sence!thumbsup.gif

What money? Throw a few surplus fry from your pond in there, come back in a year and it's full of fish, all feeding on mosquito larvae and similar. Later they were being fed because people like feeding fish, but the initial cost was probably nil.

Where is the owner of the site in all of this ?

Shouldn't all costs associated with everything to do with the site be on them ?

Who are they anyway ? May have missed it but haven't seen any names mentioned in any of the reports.

I used to enjoy the food court in the New World. Nice views and a refuge from the heat and hustle and bustle of Banglampo. Its been closed for a long time but I can't remember why? Did they illegally add extra floors? Or was that the shop nearby that set on fire with fatalities?

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/19/bangkok-fishbowl-exotic-species-swim-free-abandoned-mall

55555,added 7!!!! floors without anybody noticing.

But they were ONLY small floors whistling.gif

• Like 1

Hmmmm. Gobbledegook!!!

BMA seals off New World Mall 'fishpond'
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Members of the public are no longer allowed to feed fish at the deserted New World Mall, as the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) has ordered the area sealed pending an inspection to see if the structure is safe.

This move followed pictures circulated on social media showing people feeding fish in a 500-square metre pond created by rainwater pouring in through a gaping hole in the roof after the building's illegally built fifth to 11th floors were torn down. People living nearby then reportedly released fish in 2003 to eradicate mosquito larvae and the "pond" became an attraction of sorts.

Phra Nakhon District Office director assistant Pramern Krairos yesterday inspected the four-storey building that was closed in 1997. He said a detailed inspection would take about a month, during which time officials would test the water in the area and have it sprayed with mosquito repellent. The city would also ask the owner if he still wants the "pond", and if not he would need to pump out the water and fix the roof in order to prevent the problem from recurring, he said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/BMA-seals-off-New-World-Mall-fishpond-30237482.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-01

The city would also ask the owner if he still wants the "pond",

They shouldn't be asking the owner anything they should be demanding he clears a dangerous site pronto and if he doesn't they will clear it at his cost X 2 and haul his obviously rich ass into court for defying the order.

Come in General, heres another ass that desperately needs kicking.

The city would also ask the owner if he still wants the "pond",

They shouldn't be asking the owner anything they should be demanding he clears a dangerous site pronto and if he doesn't they will clear it at his cost X 2 and haul his obviously rich ass into court for defying the order.

Come in General, heres another ass that desperately needs kicking.

The order to knock the place down was given 10 years ago.............The owner said sorry I don't have the money so since then, as they do in Thailand, they have been passing the buck.

The good news is they have someone willing to knock it down............the bad news is it's you..........hope you have a big hammer and a work permitcheesy.gif

There are many eyesore, dangerous and abandoned buildings (many from the currency crisis). It would be great for the BMA to demand the owners remove them ASAP. If not then the BMA can condemn and confiscate them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"The concept of periodic painting is not a concept many Thais embrace. "

If only all 67 million of them could embrace periodic painting like everyone in the enlightened west, what a wonderful world it would be.

Apparently someone's compiled an entire book of buildings in London owned by people who haven't embraced the concept of periodic painting. Do you suppose these buildings are secretly owned by a cartel of Thais?

51OvBd7nSpL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-stic

What do you reckon? A spot of paint should put this one right.

5009074971_2547e195a6_z.jpg

Edited by Suradit69

Slow news day?

And may we have many of them.

Was just telling the wife yesterday how I missed opening the news with nothing really happening

and a daily silly/bizarre story or two.

I assume Thailand doesn't have compulsory purchase (is that the term), where the government/local council can force the sale of land.

If the owner claims he has no money to demolish it, he should be made to sell the land and a percentage of the money pays for the demolition etc..

And if it is about the banks preferring abandoned building rather than land that can be developed, new laws should be introduced that stops this and favours the community.

Almost impossible to police what with the 'elite' being connected to banksters.

17 years &lt;deleted&gt;. It's embarrassing.

Actually Pib hits the nail right on the head with his comment.

"The whole of Asia needs a coat of paint", a line from City of ghosts by James Caan's character.

People build apartments, houses etc and then forget to repaint after a few years. Not everyone, not all, but too many. Maintenance is a cost, not an asset according to some people. Travel around Bangkok and see how many once white buildings are still sadly wearing their birthday coat of paint under the grime,slime and scars of time.

This mall may well be a common sight world wide, but it is a sad comment on our society when construction can be started and left unfinished as owners decide to walk away and abandon their projects. The difference is, in other societies improvements, or demolition would be ordered at the expense of the landowner.

They never have painted the inside of Swampy Airport so it looks unfinished. Maybe they will condem Swampy also...........I hope. Ha ha

• 1 month later...