Pitfall # 777

Buddy in distress. Currently back in home-country. Divorce in the making.

Now he found out, that by the time he & wife bought land in Thailand with all the other paperwork he singed a document giving ownership to the house to wife as well.

But at the time, he was told that said document would confirm, that the house would be in his name. He was clearly mislead.

- Could this possibly help him: All the receipts for material & labor to build the house are in his possession. Furthermore the builder of the house has already agreed to confirm that the Farang has paid for it all and nobody else.

His job-situation will not allow him to return to Thailand on short notice. But time is of the essence, wife has already put up everything for sale.

He asks, if he should involve a law-firm. I could not advise him on this one. I only could tell him, that a good number of Thai-Legal-Eagles will promise him the moon, but only having their commission in mind.

THX & cheers.

Perhaps these will be of interest to the buddy of the OP

1) What name is in English in the space for "owner" on the approved building plans for the house?

2) Who is listed on the "Permit to build" as the owner?

3) Who is listed on the written contract with the house builder as the owner of the house?

4) Who is listed as the owner of the house on the house insurance policy?

This could develop into a Mexican standoff and a nasty battle, that in the end your fried will loose

like most farangs in this country that have found them selves in similar situations,

two options, hire a lawyer to argue your case and wait years for it to get to the court and even than

no promises made and meanwhile you have access to the house and you will bleed money,

Or, stay on your ex's good side and try to negotiate with the Ex to pay you for the house,

as much as you can out of her while being nice and friendly, cut you losses, take the money

and run and be the smart guy there,

• Like 1

The old adage..............do not invest more than what you are prepared to lose!

Doesn't matter if the house is in his name the land will be in the Thai wife's name and that I'm afraid to say is where the value lies.

As ezzra advises try to negotiate an amicable agreement.

• Like 1

Have conveyed above comments to him plus my own findings concerning the matter. He seems to be willing to take drastic measures:Flattening the house with the help of 3 bulldozers.

Have advised him that if the house is truly in the name of the wife, this will represent a criminal act against a Thai National. He replied, that he would not be in Thailand when this action takes place. " I have Thai-Friends that like generous lump-sum payments".

Known him for 8 years, He is not the Faranag that is "Pussy-Footing" around. He may actually do it. The kind of guy, one would like to have as a friend, but never as an enemy.

Cheers.

• Like 1

If he bought the house after the marriage, (A legal Marriage) then the proceeds of the sale are to be split 50 - 50%.

If he bought it prior to the marriage, 100% hers. Nothing "No Can Do"

If he has it bulldozed, balls or no balls, he will be arrested, possibly upon return.

A rather silly spot to get yourself into after all these years, and all that acquired "Knowledge"