Tree Planting

ray23

We recently purchased a very nice Mango tree probably over 5 ft high already. There was something I just noticed since I did not see the tree planted, it was in a wicker basket, they planted basket and all.

I had never seen this before, I think it is probably a good idea, the roots will grow through the basket and I would assume the bamboo will desintegrate with time. Nice way not to desturb the root system and it should help with tranplant shock.

What you think ?

We recently purchased a very nice Mango tree probably over 5 ft high already. There was something I just noticed since I did not see the tree planted, it was in a wicker basket, they planted basket and all.

I had never seen this before, I think it is probably a good idea, the roots will grow through the basket and I would assume the bamboo will desintegrate with time. Nice way not to desturb the root system and it should help with tranplant shock.

What you think ?

I think they plant trees like this in a Basket or Pot, to stop tree growth, to stop the tree gettng to big, if the basket is Bamboo, it will take a hel_l of a long time to rot, this has happened to me, i bought Three 4 to 5 fooot Mango trees, they were planted the same, 2 of them are now dead, so now when i plant trees i take them out of the baskets or pots, stick some buffalo s h i t in the holes with plenty of Poi (Compost) and spread the roots, then make sure you water well.

What you think ?

Not a good idea! Even if the tree is container grown it should be established in the ground with an unentangled root system. The basket will likely cause the tree to be rootbound, cause strangulation or "girdling". Ok for fast growing shrubs, not for trees.

If the tree was grown in the ground until this year...and then dug up and put in the basket without wrapping the roots around inside the basket....and then put back into the ground before the roots developed into a tangles mass inside the basket....then leaving the basket on is probably OK....assuming that the basket is sort of open weave so the roots will have no trouble finding small gaps to grow through.

I agree with the other posters that if there is a mass of roots that has either been wound around by hand or has grown inside the basket then you should remove the basket and spread the roots in every direction possible.

In either event I don't see any reason to leave the basket on...its not that difficult to take it off..just cut it if the roots are holding on to it.....on the other hand most workers if left to their own devices will do things the easiest way and.......

Edited by chownah

Good input guys thanks. I think what I will do is dig around the tree and cut sections out of the basket out rather then to dig it up and disturb it any further only been in a few months. That should give some room for the roots to spread out.

Good input guys thanks. I think what I will do is dig around the tree and cut sections out of the basket out rather then to dig it up and disturb it any further only been in a few months. That should give some room for the roots to spread out.

Since its been in for a few months you can probably tell if its started growing or not. If it has started growing and is growing vigorously then I would probably not do anything.....seems like if its growing then digging around it will cut all the new roots. I think that as long as it is growing ok then it will create a good root system even if the roots are crowded around the base to start. This is just my opinion and maybe someone else will come on and say what they think. Transplanting stuff in Thailand seems to be easier than back in a temperate climate where I grew up. People transplant trees of all sizes here with really good survival rates. In the northern US you very rarely see anyone even attempting to transplant a large tree but it happens all the time here in northern Thailand and with great success as far as I can tell.

Edited by chownah

Transplanting stuff in Thailand seems to be easier than back in a temperate climate where I grew up. People transplant trees of all sizes here with really good survival rates. In the northern US you very rarely see anyone even attempting to transplant a large tree but it happens all the time here in northern Thailand and with great success as far as I can tell.

Yeah, this always amazes me. When I ran tree planting contracts in UK wouldn't even think of the large tree transplants that take place here. Loss rate for too high. But in Thailand they stick them in, and in the vast majority of cases they develop, despite poor soil conditions.