Best islands/beaches for low season? + Is Phi Phi closed?

We'll be travelling in Thailand from end of August til beginning of September and are looking for nice islands/beaches. So far our plan was to spend our three weeks at Ralay Beach (Krabi) and on Koh Lanta, possibly with a short break on Koh Phi Phi (just a day trip or one night, coming from Krabi).

A couple of questions:

- What are the best destinations for that time of the year?

- Is Phi Phi islands closed during that time? Any other islands which are closed?

- How are Ralay Beach and Koh Lanta? Would you skip either one or do you think both are equally nice?

We prefer quite, beautiful nature over tourism and night life. Our favorite in Thailand, to give you a better understanding, is Koh Nang Yuan.

August-September is usually very wet and windy on the West Coast, so boat trips are not advisable because of the high waves. Just been to Koh Lanta a few days ago and most businesses were closed during the low/rainy season. Been also to Railey on the same trip. The place is nice, but the sea was pretty high and ther was not much beach left for this reason.

I suggest you try the Southern Gulf of Thailand again. The North and West of Koh Phangan seem like the best choice given your expectation. The Full Moon Parties are confined to the South of the island, so you won't feel much buzzle if you go to Sri Thanu, Haad Salaad or Chaloklam. I used to live on the island for a year and a half and I strongly recommend it for young couples and families.

Also, if you would like to enjoy an endless, quiet and beautiful beach in the area, try Khanom (just South of the Donsak pier; see photo). It's where I live now.

Wishing you a nice holiday.

Brad Florescu

Travel Blogger

post-104559-0-84292000-1404204146_thumb.

Edited by bradflorescu
  • Like 2

You might look at Koh Kut (also called Koh Kood) in Trat Province. Been once and I'm going back in November. Quiet, peaceful and virtually no night life. Give Shantaa Resort a look (rated as # 1 In Trat by Trip Advisor). I stayed once and going back---superb food and villas!

• Like 2

You will be washed away around Krabi and get nuts cause of boredom Lanta, PP is open 24/7 365 days, the drinking never stops.

Get to the Gulf cause of the weather. Samui has nice and quiet areas.

I can second Khanom, just back from a few days there, always pop over from here, (live in Krabi) when the weather isn't so good, beaches deserted, plenty of places to stay and really friendly people. Very quiet though, will need some form of transport to get around but can hire bikes there. Just hope it stays this peacefull for a few more years!!!

You might look at Koh Kut (also called Koh Kood) in Trat Province. Been once and I'm going back in November. Quiet, peaceful and virtually no night life. Give Shantaa Resort a look (rated as # 1 In Trat by Trip Advisor). I stayed once and going back---superb food and villas!

Lovely Island and a great resort, indeed. Unfortunately, the Koh Chang-Koh Mak-Koh Khood area is the second rainiest in Thailand. November would be a great month to travel there. August not so much.

• Like 1

A few more images of Khanom here......

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/54624-images-of-southern-thailand/page-2 Post # 30 .... it will be quiet, but a number of things to do in the area..... which would mean riding around a little bit.... thumbsup.gif

I would agree with the suggestion of Koh Phangan areas mentioned above ^ there are also some nice quiet areas on Samui too! wink.png

Personally I do believe in Trip Adviser for advice as to where to go.... whistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

If you end up on KPG, Salaad bay is nice, although the sand is coarser on the west side of the island imo. I can recommend Cookies Salaad and have been many times, latterly in March, and they have new bungalows right on the beach. If you are there you should also check out the steak house, 'Peppercorns' which is now at the top of the hill nearby- truly excellent steaks, if a little pricey for KPG. Bottle Bay is also well worth a visit.

I thought I would suggest the obvious...Phuket beaches. There has been an amazing transformation of the beaches on the island. The Generals have ordered the removal of all structures on the King's beach. This has changed Bang Tow, Surin and Kamala Beaches. It is something special to behold. This is where it's at.

Kamalala

Slip, they are talking August - September. It will be wet most anywhere. If they could come in March, the list of places to visit would be endless...

That is not true of the islands of Samui, KP KT ..... usually it's quite dry.... perhaps the odd shower to keep things green!! whistling.gif

Thanks for your replies.

I've been to Koh Phangan plenty times and quite like the island (except the Fullmoon Party), especially the north. That's the problem - we actually wanted to see something new :-) (we just went to Koh Phangan in January during our last vacation, and basically all vacations before coz our European friends always wanna go there). We thought Krabi could work even during rainy season.

I had a look at Khanom, but it doesn't really look that promising. Maybe it's just the pictures...

So next best would be Koh Kood and Koh Samet?

PS.: We'll be travelling the last week of August (23rd-31st).

Edited by welovesundaysatspace

Lovely Island and a great resort, indeed. Unfortunately, the Koh Chang-Koh Mak-Koh Khood area is the second rainiest in Thailand. November would be a great month to travel there. August not so much.

another + for Koh Kood. lovely island. if you want quiet, there is absolutely nothing to do at night. i was there during "high season", don't recall anywhere open after 21:00. but not in August..