Dead Bruda whale washed ashore in Samut Prakan

webfact

Dead Bruda whale washed ashore in Samut Prakarn

bruda-whale-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A dead Bruda whale weighs about 11 tons was washed ashore in Phra Samut Chedi district of Samut Prakarn province.

The whale is 11 metres long. It was found by residents near the Phra Chulachomklao fortress shore.

It was not known the cause of death of this sea mammal but locals said they spotted the dead whale in the sea a few days earlier but could do nothing because of its size.

It was until yesterday that the dead whale was washed ashore.

Officials from the Marine Resources Research and Development Centre in the Gulf of Thailand have inspected the body of the whale but could not find a cause yet.

They have collected samples of its skin tissues and fin for laboratory test before the exact cause could be established.

But an assistant village headman Wisanu Kengsamut said local people have sighted the dead whale on Sunday at the shore near the navy prison.

He went to inspect the whale with the centre officials by boat but could not get near because the area is a shell farming which has lots of poles and therefore could not drag it out.

He said he has to wait until the wind and waves washed it to shore.

But as he noticed the whale was decomposed and might have died two weeks ago.

He also said in the Gulf of Thailand near Samut Prakarn there are about 50 Bruda whales wandering for food.

This dead whale was the second dead whale that was washed ashore in the past seven years.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dead-bruda-whale-washed-ashore-samut-prakarn/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-01

I cannot find any reference to a Bruda whale, is it possible it is a Bryde;s Whale? Maybe a cetacean expert on TVF can comment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryde's_whale

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/bruda-whale-spotted-in-gulf-of-thailand-14702

http://www.pattayamail.com/news/bruda-whale-carcass-found-in-chumphon-18843

• Like 2

Probably begging to be flamed by even asking, but:

Are there any whale watching tour boats in Thailand, within a day (or a weekend) trip of BKK?

There definetly used to be tours to see Whales and Irrawday Dolphins, I remember reading an article on them once. Drop Richard Barrow a message, he seems to be in the know.

• Like 1

Probably begging to be flamed by even asking, but:

Are there any whale watching tour boats in Thailand, within a day (or a weekend) trip of BKK?

Wouldn't think so mate they are nowhere common and the small whales such as this are very difficult to spot at sea.

This morning there was a story in the BKK post of a Cuvier's beaked whale being stranded and returned to the sea but very rare occurrence.

The Gulf is probably too shallow to host too many whales. Probably have to go to the Andaman side to have a good chance to see some (obviously there are some in the Gulf though because this one washed ashore and those guys are saying there is a group of 50). You would probably need to charter a fishing boat from somewhere, some research would be required to find a good place to start off from. I would be interested in joining something, but hard to get time off from work for the next 9-12 months for me.

But perhaps we could go to see some of these geniuses at Phra Chulachomklao "fortress shore" and maybe rent a fishing boat for a day on a weekend. (if the dead whale was too far out to sea for them to get to it, how did it end up in a forest a couple of days later?)

Last January I was on a dive trip to the Similan. I saw a whale briefly, but no one else was looking or interested. I think it was a Minke whale. According to my "Guide to Marine Mammals of the World" , a lot of the distributions of whales come into the Gulf, but I think there would be sparse numbers. (For instance, it shows Blue Whales can occur there). Perhaps it is just under-watched though. I know there are some multi-day trips from Sri Lanka and Maldives, but I don't know if they are regular. Whales would generally occur where the waters are cooler and maybe they would come to warmer waters for breeding (no killer whales and other predators for the juvenile whales). But the Gulf wouldn't even be on a migration path.

• Like 1

Best to cut that thing into manageable pieces before it bloats and begins to stink. Whale oil has many uses and the bones can be carved. Bury the rest.

Yah, sure, they can burn the oil in their lanterns and make soap !

;-)

• Like 1

Try http://vertebrates.si.edu/mammals/beaked_whales/pages/routing_main.htm

Berardius is a family rather than a species name which appears to only refer to Bairds and Arnuxs beaked Whales.

Will be one of the two.

Do they sh!t in the woods, or was it just a misleading photo?

Very difficult not to just ignore stupidity like that.

However just in case you actually want to learn something I will answer.

The trees you see in the photo are mangroves which grow in intertidal areas and in the foreground there is low mudflat vegetation.

The photo was obviously taken at low tide and the whale which the OP says had been dead for some time would have washed in on the high tide, if you look closely at the photo you will see on the mangroves where the high tide comes up to.

If you ever get a chance you should try visiting one of the places where these trees grow, they have their own unique ecosystem, very interesting, to me anyway.

Must warn you though they don't have air-con.

Good post Rob, here's the possible site at the Chulachomklao Fort & Naval base near the mouth of the Chao Phraya.

post-9891-0-92549300-1404225650_thumb.jp

• Like 1

There appears to be a trend , die offs are way to common these days The test results will be interesting, Radiation , pollution, lack of food.

Suicide.

Things live and things die.

Ever heard of old age.

At 11m that was a full adult and could well have come to the end of its natural life.

They will have taken all the usual samples and will be able to determine if there is any unnatural causes.

Have the Thai just discovered a new species of whale ?........ lol

Seems so.

As a non native speaker quite hard to qualify.

I did a couple of searches related to "bruda whale".

And guess what: always related to Thailand in one way or the other.

Have the Thai just discovered a new species of whale ?........ lol

Seems so.

As a non native speaker quite hard to qualify.

I did a couple of searches related to "bruda whale".

And guess what: always related to Thailand in one way or the other.

Go back and read post No 3

I'm too lazy to Google it up, but there's a great video floating around of the disaster that results when a town decides to use explosives and blow up the whale carcass on their beach.

I hope these guys have seen it...

..guess it will attract the japanese...

...take it away for:

1. scientific analysis beatdeadhorse.gif.pagespeed.ce.adWp7jUAu

2. aroy mak vampire.gif.pagespeed.ce.503w77X5K-.gif

or else, stick a half-price label on it and some enterprising gannet will take it away (like hardwaste left overnight on the street curb)

Bryde's whale, pronounced "brooders".

Thats it!

The Bryde's whale complex (/ˈbrdə/ BREW-də)

... the Bryde’s whale is named after Johan Bryde, who helped construct the first South African whaling factory in the early 1900s

So Thais heard that and transcribed it (back) to "English" tongue.png

Actually its a Norwegian family name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johan_Bryde

Edited by KhunBENQ