Phuket mafia taxi investigators raid Karon municipal offices

webfact

FLASH: Phuket mafia taxi investigators raid Karon municipal offices
Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- Police and anti-money laundering investigators, backed by heavily armed Navy marines, this morning descended on the offices of the Karon Municipality.

They searched the offices of Mayor Thawee Thongcham, Deputy Mayor Itthiphon Sangkaew, the town clerk (palad) Veerasak Anek-ongsawat, and the planning department, headed by Wanchai Saetan.

All four officials, along with the other deputy mayor, Sompong Dapphet, are the focus of the investigation into influential people behind mafia taxi activities in Kata and Karon.

Officials found a number of personal bank account books belonging to the suspects and went through mounds of paperwork looking for connections between the suspects and taxi-related crimes. They also seized papers from the Social Security office.

In Veerasak’s office they found a solid-looking safe. In the absence of the only person with the keys – Veerasak – they sealed it with duct tape.

When the investigators arrived they spotted Ittiphon about to leave. The Marines ordered him out of his car and back into his office.

Mayor Thawee was also requested to come to the office. The phone call reached him just in time; he was about to board a flight out of Phuket. He is now on his way back.

A great deal more action by the investigators is expected this afternoon.

Source; http://www.thephuketnews.com/flash-phuket-mafia-taxi-investigators-raid-karon-municipal-offices-47166.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-07-02

• Like 1

I love the complete absence of the old Keystone cop announcements like: we went after them but we were just too late and they got away, we don't know where they went. Remember those stories.

Go get em yee ha!

• Like 2

Glad to see such action after years of inaction. Hurrah for the Thai Military!

The honest officials will see the dishonest ones exposed, tried and sentenced. Let the warning go out.

• Like 2

Crooks...extortionist...kickback artists...be ware...the laws of Thailand are beginning to be enforced and you are a target...get honest...or get ready for prison...

What a loss of face these once prominant proud leaders have. Now their pictures will be on dart boards and history will haunt their families. Accountability, i love that word!

I've know some army generals for over 20 years.

The small time stuff is just scraps for the police.

Remember that billionaire monk that ran off in his helicopter last year?

Insider stock market trading for the biggest of the big generals.

There is an investigation right now that is targeting staff at the stock market.

Will a generals be charged?

No way.

I've know some army generals for over 20 years.

The small time stuff is just scraps for the police.

Remember that billionaire monk that ran off in his helicopter last year?

Insider stock market trading for the biggest of the big generals.

There is an investigation right now that is targeting staff at the stock market.

Will a generals be charged?

No way.

I have no doubt that anyone with direct knowledge of the impending military coup could have made millions of baht on the stock exchange.

The first people to know about it would have been the Generals. Whilst each General, directly, may have made no money - what about their families?

Your accusation is possible, and should be investigated.

As for the staff at the stock exchange, they would have been wondering, "why such a big sell off today."

Given recent events, they would have put two and two together and joined in the sell off. Then, shortly after, the announcement that there has been a military coup in Thailand was made.

The big question is, when will they start investigating, and locking up the mayors? So many of them are super corrupt millionaires. They could start with the mayors in Phuket, and the mayor of Samui. All are super corrupt. At least the mayor of Samui does some work to benefit the island. But, my question is, what ever happened to the 800 million baht the central government gave Samui to pave re-surface the Ring Road? Only half the job has been completed 4 years later. Someone has enjoyed all that loot. I have heard he has been purchasing hotels with that money. Is that possible? Accurate? If so, it would be a good place for the new leaders to start.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The big question is, when will they start investigating, and locking up the mayors? So many of them are super corrupt millionaires. They could start with the mayors in Phuket, and the mayor of Samui. All are super corrupt. At least the mayor of Samui does some work to benefit the island. But, my question is, what ever happened to the 800 million baht the central government gave Samui to pave re-surface the Ring Road? Only half the job has been completed 4 years later. Someone has enjoyed all that loot. I have heard he has been purchasing hotels with that money. Is that possible? Accurate? If so, it would be a good place for the new leaders to start.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

With the amount of work the Army has to do on Phuket, they should get to Samui around the year 2020. Please be patient. biggrin.png

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

With the amount of work the Army has to do on Phuket, they should get to Samui around the year 2020. Please be patient. biggrin.png

Unfortunately, they will be gone sometime in 2015. There lies the crux of the problem.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Unfortunately, they will be gone sometime in 2015. There lies the crux of the problem.

And it is not a unique problem. One of the most startling things about Thai politics is the extreme lack of continuity when it comes to agendas, issues, programs, legislation, and progress in general. One administration starts something good, and the next one abandons it. Like children pretending to be men and women.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

And it is not a unique problem. One of the most startling things about Thai politics is the extreme lack of continuity when it comes to agendas, issues, programs, legislation, and progress in general. One administration starts something good, and the next one abandons it. Like children pretending to be men and women.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

That's why those in power love the set up. They come and collect their golden parachutes, then get transferred out saying if they only had more time, they could have made a change. The system set up as it is, is perfect for those that say they want to do something, yet actually do nothing except collect.

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I dare say this will be Phuket's last chance to come online with the rest of Thailand. If it doesn't happen under this Army's watch - it will never happen.

If the island's main issues are not resolved by the Army, this time around, they never will be, which sends a green light to those in authority here to ramp up their corruption.

It's a case of now or never for Phuket.

The future of the tourism industry, and the flow on effect to expats and locals, is all about what the Army does whilst here, and what they implement for the future of Phuket.

So far we have seen some illegal businesses on the beach removed, taxi drivers and a few politicians arrested - but nothing has changed with the "systems" these corrupt people have put in place. Their corrupt money making schemes need to be dismantled.

There is so much more work for the Army to do here.

Edited by NamKangMan
  • Like 1

Spidermike

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

I dare say this will be Phuket's last chance to come online with the rest of Thailand. If it doesn't happen under this Army's watch - it will never happen.

If the island's main issues are not resolved by the Army, this time around, they never will be, which sends a green light to those in authority here to ramp up their corruption.

It's a case of now or never for Phuket.

The future of the tourism industry, and the flow on effect to expats and locals, is all about what the Army does whilst here, and what they implement for the future of Phuket.

So far we have seen some illegal businesses on the beach removed, taxi drivers and a few politicians arrested - but nothing has changed with the "systems" these corrupt people have put in place. Their corrupt money making schemes need to be dismantled.

There is so much more work for the Army to do here.

I suppose they could institute some really radical? I am not a big supporter of the Saudis, but you have to admire the chutzpah required to cut someones hands off for stealing. Maybe some Thais need to have their hands removed?