Need to cash a paper check from a bank in U.S.

Many US Banks have a NEW mobile service, there is an android app, take a photo of the check send it to your bank, if the check is drawn on a US bank usually deposited in your account immediately.

I have this service at Capitol One and Chase bank.

Take a look at your banks web site for details, I don't get checks sent to me , I have learned the hard way many years ago, always have them deposited or sent to your home bank.

No one sends paper checks anymore, have them deposit to your bank account.

How long for funds to e available?

The mobile apps have limits that prevent large deposits. For example I think Chase max mobile deposit is $2k US.

I write a check to myself on my merrill lynch ... account in US...it takes 10 - 14 days for the monies to appear in my UOB account...UOB charges $5 and nothing on my ML acct...

always keep open one US account for emergencies and flexibility and convenience...been here 15 years....

Forgot to add that can track online when monies leave my ML acct...the one problem I have encountered is UOB control deposit so lost more than $1000 on a transaction. It was when the baht jumped one full point and that next day the money appeared..it was on the 24th day so know they held it...so now using bank wires which arrive within 3 business days so window smaller for exchange manipulation...lesson learned...