Need to cash a paper check from a bank in U.S.

Anyone know how I can do this without having to wait 30+ days for KBank to mail the check back to Ohio, then wait Ohio to send back to KBank?

The check is a remission payment from the U.S. Dept of Justice, paid by Huntington Bank.

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.. Yea the reason I had it mailed here is because I had closed the original bank account that I was using back in 2011. I have been in Thailand off and on since 2011, and I when I went back for visiting I didn't open a new US bank account. So it seems that if I want the bank to handle it here, I will have to do the things you guys have suggested. Just wondering if there are other ways to do more quickly, but maybe come with a higher fee etc.

If you have an account in TH, they will cash it. The catch is it likely will take about a month based on my experience.

I tried cashing a US government check. After a month they gave it back to me and said it couldn't be done. Kasikorn Bank and I have several accounts there.

If you have an account in TH, they will cash it. The catch is it likely will take about a month based on my experience.

I tried cashing a US government check. After a month they gave it back to me and said it couldn't be done. Kasikorn Bank and I have several accounts there.

What was the reason for this? I was told that the check needs to go to Bangkok to the main branch, I must pay $10 to have the check sent to the issuing bank back in the US. Then if the check was legit, it would be processed and sent back to KBank for a $25 fee, and I will receive the money in 30-45 days. KBank must have given you a reason for not being able to cash your check?

• Like 1

I am a US citizen. I can't speak about checks from the US Government because I haven't received one here in Thailand. As mentioned, any US checks I might get are deposited into my US Schwab account. I can use an ATM to get the money and they reimburse the fees, no questions asked.

However, I once got a personal check from a bank in the UK, Barclays Bank if I recall correctly. I deposited it into my UOB account. I don't have any reason why I put it in that particular account other than the fact that their branch was closer than either Krungsri or Kasikorn where I also have accounts. They took the check. I had to sign a lot of copies of a lot of documents. 30 minutes later, I was on my way. They couldn't give me any definitive timeline regarding when the money would appear. They also could not tell me what exchange rate I would get. Their English wasn't good enough to explain the procedure. My Thai wasn't up to understanding it at the time. I simply deposited the check.

About 2 months later, I went to an ATM to take out some money from that account. Suddenly, I found an extra 10,000 baht in my account. The check had finally cleared! It does take a very long time! UOB can do it, so I am sure other (read: bigger) Thai banks can do it without a problem other than the time issue.

I worked with a Brit friend who did web page work online who received payment by check from US sources. Most were over $20 but a few were less than $10. His problem was he would have lost money just trying to cash his checks.

I offered to counter sign them and send them to my US bank for deposit which I did and where they were deposited. I saw on the web where they were deposited and gave him the money from my bank account via ATM. We did this a long time but we were good friends and I helped him out even after he left the university. If you have a friend like that, it may be worth a try. For me, I rather liked his friendship than to cheat him. But he should be a real good friend to do this.

whistling.gif

The check is a remission payment from the U.S. Dept of Justice, paid by Huntington Bank

From my personal experience if it is an official U.S. government issued check.

(As in a IRS tax refund, or a payment from a U.S. government agency).

These checks are handled through the Bangkok Bank head office on Silom Road in Bangkok.

They will accept such checks for cashing but you will need the your U.S. passport for identification.

It can only be done at the Bangkok Bank Head office on Silom Road in Bangkok.

The reason is that only that Bank office has a comparison signature scanner from the U.S. government.

When you present the check for cashing, and after they identify you as a U.S. citizen by your passport, they then scan the signature on your check and the specimen signature under ultra-violet light.

If the specimen signature and the check signature match, they will approve and cash the check.

As far as I know, the only place that has such a specimen signature is that Bangkok Bank main office on Silom Road in Bangkok.

I once cashed a U.S. government check (an IRS tax refund check) there. I was told then that is the only place in Thailand that has such a specimen signature plate for comparison, but I can't verify that today.

I know it was where I had to go in 2010 when I cashed that IRS refund check, however.

Try them first, anyhow.

wai.gif

• Like 1

A cheque is a piece of paper. It has no value until the bank it's drawn on receives it, makes sure there are funds to cover it and transfers those funds to the bank where it was paid in. Government cheques might be different but they are still just pieces of paper.

No one sends paper checks anymore, have them deposit to your bank account.

The US government obviously does...

Yes.. And they certainly do if (see above) you do not have a US bank account anymore.

I don't think any bank here will "cash it," meaning to hand over cash for it. You can deposit it into your account, but the cash will not be available until it's cleared.

• Like 1

Many US Banks have a NEW mobile service, there is an android app, take a photo of the check send it to your bank, if the check is drawn on a US bank usually deposited in your account immediately.

I have this service at Capitol One and Chase bank.

Take a look at your banks web site for details, I don't get checks sent to me , I have learned the hard way many years ago, always have them deposited or sent to your home bank.

A slight flaw in your otherwise relevant suggestion, which coincidentally is the reason he asked about cashing it here.

Yea the reason I had it mailed here is because I had closed the original bank account that I was using back in 2011. I have been in Thailand off and on since 2011, and I when I went back for visiting I didn't open a new US bank account.
Edited by Suradit69

I had this problem a while back, check with your bank because a lot of banks are now offering internet services where you can actually scan the check or use their mobile app and take a picture of the check and have it deposited almost instantly. Both of my US bank accounts offered the service. This is by far the easiest way i have found to deposit checks into a US account.

KBank didn't, at one time, wait at all; cheque into the account and immediately credited. Which never failed to amaze me, as local cheques required the requisite three days.

Then, one day, they informed me that it would need two months to clear. This besides charging me a fee in USD, to deposit a GBP cheque into a THB account, something they were at a loss to explain. My wife had a go at them and they cleared it there and then. But I think you will find there is no way round it now.

Best option is perhaps to request a TT.

I had this problem a while back, check with your bank because a lot of banks are now offering internet services where you can actually scan the check or use their mobile app and take a picture of the check and have it deposited almost instantly. Both of my US bank accounts offered the service. This is by far the easiest way i have found to deposit checks into a US account.

But he wants to deposit into a Thai account, not a US one. I doubt the Thai banks offer such a facility.

Assuming you have a US bank, you can go online and create account, download their app, and snapshot the check, both sides, and deposit ASAP. I do this often. I do believe a number of US banks do this as well. I recently had a US check go to a friend stateside. I had her sign my name, photograph both sides, then email me the pics. I then opened them on laptop and with iphone app deposited the "check" as if i were photographing the check, not a desktop image. So, if you have a bank stateside, you can get creative.

Update: I went to KBank today, signed the check and paid 300 THB. I was told by the manager that it would take 30-45 days. The check is not huge but I am guessing rather large compared the standard as it was from a lawsuit with the DoJ. I will report back my experience. I was afraid to put off cashing it only to find out this was gonna be my only option in the end, so I went ahead and accepted that I must wait 4-6 weeks.

** For those who did not see my post about having a US bank account - I do not have one.

Many US Banks have a NEW mobile service, there is an android app, take a photo of the check send it to your bank, if the check is drawn on a US bank usually deposited in your account immediately.

Take a look at your banks web site for details, I don't get checks sent to me , I have learned the hard way many years ago, always have them deposited or sent to your home bank.

How long for funds to e available?

I would strongly suggest that 3BJ check with his American financial advisor on the ramifications of money transfers overseas, if he holds American citizenship. In fact, he will find that due to new US financial reporting laws, even the paltry amount of ($10,000) must be reported to Uncle Sam, even if you have only signing power on the account.
This means if you fail to report, you expose yourself (and family) to hefty financial penalties. Many, if not most Thai banks are reluctant to open personal accounts in the name of US beneficiaries.

On the flip side, as usual, these laws in many cases will have the opposite effect - because any fool with half a brain would simply shield the money by other means from an FBAR filing. Be careful.

When I, rarely, receive a paper check from the U.S., I snail mail it back to my U.S. bank. That way I have access to the funds via my Thai ATM card within about 7-10 days. If it's a largish check, send via Thai Registered mail.

Mac

Bank of America has an Iphone app that you take a photo of both sides of the check and they put the funds in the account for you. Thats if you have aBOA account.

If you have a Thai bank account like I do, 30-45 days and mine was a bank check. An easier way is to check with your bank back home and see if they have a deposit program where you scan the check into their system online. I can do this and it's processed in a matter of a couple of minutes.

When I decided to set up a bank account in Thailand I read threads that advised of using Bangkok Bank. The main reason is the bank has an office in NYC. My guess is that you could probably snail mail the check to the NYC office with your account number written under your signature and they will cash it in the USA and direct the money to your Thailand based account. When I transfer funds from my bank in the USA to Thailand I have very little cost associated because it goes through the NYC branch and then is subsequently transferred to my account in Thailand. Just a thought.

Even PayPal does this. However the maximum check amount is $1,000.