Bbc Filming Insensitivity

werdy

This morning at the Bangkok Phuket Hospital the BBC and HBO continued their filming of the tsunami film "The Aftermath". Despite assurances that they are sensitive and concerned for peoples well being as they film the entire arrival area is littered with made up corpses and injured (in excess of 150 people) and no visible notices explaining what is happening.

Needless to say many attending patients were deeply distressed to see as they arrived a disaster seen. How can the hospital endorse this exposure. 18 months ago they cared for injured in the community and today they essentially do the opposite. The doctors in the child care unit directly behind the disaster scene seemed to totally disagree with the filming. My 6 and 3 year old children walked in and both spontaneously cried at the sight in front of them.

The made up wounded were strolling around the hospital and child wards laughing and joking and scaring children. A hooro scene.

I understand that the same in your face insensitive portrayal took place in Khao Lak a couple of weeks ago with bodies habnging from electric poles and piles of corpses by the roadside.

How can we stop such unacceptable behaviour?

My 6 and 3 year old children walked in and both spontaneously cried at the sight in front of them.

I hope they get over it.

Otherwise you may need to sequester them for the rest of their lives.(It's a tough world out there!)

Hmmmm

I guess there could be issues with this. But sorry I just don't see it. A closed set would in theory be better! However they never look/feel right. This is an attempt at a historical drama? Going to the places affected seems logical and it would also appear to add $$ to the local economy.

I have not seen it, so don´t bite my head off here.

However I would like to say, that there is nothing as educational as seeing true horrors and thereby learning from. Prevention, disaster managment, trauma (mind) control.

The younger the better, I say.

Or should we go back to the days when hiding under a school desk from nuclear blasts was considered educational and efective.

A hurricane and earthquake survivor.

This film crew has been around for months now. I know many people who have been recruited in the filming process - mostly as "extras".... who are shipped in en masse from wherever it takes to get large groups who will work for next to nothing.

There has been NO recorded sensitivity nor consultation with the local communities on effects or affects.

I brought up the (lack) of local consultation process - on this forum- in the very early stages & had my head chewed off by certain members. The production company - KUDOS, I believe, answers to who? and seems to have complete access and control over any community they wish to film in - without prior warning and without any signage to communicate to the public that a re-creation of the tsunami disaster is being filmed.

The damage is being done. According to local media reports, the film production company may be causing further pyschological damage to those who suffered so much in the original disaster.

The local media is now receiving many complainTs and Phuket Gazette focused on the community detriment of the film in Editorial (21/6/06). Dispute that!

This film crew has been around for months now. I know many people who have been recruited in the filming process - mostly as "extras".... who are shipped in en masse from wherever it takes to get large groups who will work for next to nothing.

There has been NO recorded sensitivity nor consultation with the local communities on effects or affects.

I brought up the (lack) of local consultation process - on this forum- in the very early stages & had my head chewed off by certain members. The production company - KUDOS, I believe, answers to who? and seems to have complete access and control over any community they wish to film in - without prior warning and without any signage to communicate to the public that a re-creation of the tsunami disaster is being filmed.

The damage is being done. According to local media reports, the film production company may be causing further pyschological damage to those who suffered so much in the original disaster.

The local media is now receiving many complainTs and Phuket Gazette focused on the community detriment of the film in Editorial (21/6/06). Dispute that!

hmmm Op Ed piecies ... no need to dispute them ... after all they are editorials ....

Consultations etc are $$ wasters for the most part. I am sure that reliving a harsh event can cause smoe people heartache and pain ... it can also help some people get over it ...

Life works that way!... Personally I see this as LESS damaging than the current article in the Phukette Gazette re: Tsunami orphanage under investigation