New Yamaha R1 Dilemma

ATF

Yamaha at the Bangkok Bike Show are doing a fantastic deal on the R1. 159k down, 3ys 0% finance, free 1st class insurance, and 40k off a performance exhaust or other accessories, all registration fees etc. are also included.

What a deal! The R1 is still a great bike but I'm terrified Yamaha are on the verge of bringing out a killer new bike. I'm just so tempted to go for it but if there is a new R1 it's going to be mega. What would you do? I like the R1 design and their engine tech.

Yamaha have the best engineers out there , and the highest quality bikes.Have had for years. The next R1 may be a triple , for torque AND power. Could even be a 1200 .This doesnt change how great the current bike is. What are the monthly payments.

• Like 1

Ok cash price is 799k so no difference from finance and 2yr 24k pm 3yr 17kpm. It's just such a sweet deal and great bike. I would consider the Honda CBR1000RR SP but was told there is no way these would be imported.

I'm too old and fat to be a track star but I love the look of this bike, tried a Panigale but it's crazy hot.

Saw a CBR "SP" at a show several months ago. It lacked many features i would have expected , even on a standard version. Didnt even have braided brake lines. Your not missing anything. Yamaha price is tempting. Buy it for what it is , if you want it. Dont try to guess what the next model will be.Or when. Or how much. EDIT , your figures dont add up. 159k+(24k x 24m) or 159k+(17k x 36m) =735k or771k.

Edited by nigel jeffrey
  • Like 1

for me the r1 is king ,i had one 20007/08 and absolutely loved it (gret import so i sold it when the govt went nuts cracking down on bikes without books lol )

the power was basically the next thing to a fighter jet

ive never had aniting like it since or b4 it

i would get one oif the deal is good ,nno matter what they do it to it or make a new better one you will still have a hellova bike

and i cant see them getting a lot faster tbh

usually rider capabilitie is the limiting factor with even a current r1 never mind a "newer faster "one :)

• Like 1

Seriously, if you sit around not buying because your waiting for the next big thing then you're never going to buy. No matter what you buy, you will eventually be 'outdated', especially in a fast moving world like motorcycles. But even then (and I'm still on a 2006 CBR1000RR in the states) the 'improvements' really aren't going to be huge quantum leaps, but more slow evolutionary steps than anything else.

• Like 2

Saw a CBR "SP" at a show several months ago. It lacked many features i would have expected , even on a standard version. Didnt even have braided brake lines. Your not missing anything. Yamaha price is tempting. Buy it for what it is , if you want it. Dont try to guess what the next model will be.Or when. Or how much. EDIT , your figures dont add up. 159k+(24k x 24m) or 159k+(17k x 36m) =735k or771k.

I left out the "change" on the figures or maybe a mistake but it's 0% finance. This bike was in my top three list anyway.

for me the r1 is king ,i had one 20007/08 and absolutely loved it (gret import so i sold it when the govt went nuts cracking down on bikes without books lol )

the power was basically the next thing to a fighter jet

ive never had aniting like it since or b4 it

i would get one oif the deal is good ,nno matter what they do it to it or make a new better one you will still have a hellova bike

and i cant see them getting a lot faster tbh

usually rider capabilitie is the limiting factor with even a current r1 never mind a "newer faster "one smile.png

You're 100% on the mark. What bugs me is Yamaha won't admit to anything, all they say is well the bike could be due for a makeover. But this model really is plenty fast for me anyway and 40k off full system titanium Akra pipes!

A new R1 is definitely on the way- if there's still stock of the current model when the updated one is introduced, the 799K price will probably go down to the 700K mark (like with Kawasaki when their new models come out and they want to get rid of whatever is left to make room for them, like with the ZX-14R and Z1000)- Yamaha knows this, so they are trying to incentivize a purchase of the 2014 edition in the meantime- the exhaust discount is actually a better deal for them than the buyers.

Personally, if I wanted an R1, I'd wait- if it's anything close to the speculation it will be a pretty awesome bike, and- from reading your previous posts in other threads- you'll want it (the TC and tuning modes alone would be worth it). I'd guess a price at least 100K more than the current model, but it would be good value.

Yeah, it's probably over your head as a rider- any literbike is over 99.9% of our heads (mine absolutely included)- that's not the point, and- if you're looking at a bike in the class- not a real consideration.;)

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 2

RSD exactly my thoughts. There's been UK dealers saying they are completely sold out of R1s and no news from Yamaha. Speculation is the new model is going to be closely based on the M1 track bike, so it will have a completely new frame and possibly a seamless gearbox. I'm not worried about electronic suspension though but increased tuning features would definitely be something I'd want.

Yamaha have recently registered the name R1S, so something is on the way, but when?

I believe you are right if there are any unsold 2014 R1s available after the new release there'll be a big discount, so even if I don't like the new bike I can still get a 2014 model. Excellent advice as always RSD.

• Like 2

i normally dont like waiting for a new bike as life is short still yamaha r1 is nearly ten years old tech now and rumors are getting more about new r1.

If it is like waiting for new Ducati Monster 821 or such bikes, i definitely say dont wait and get whatever available.

but supersports are really high tech machines and new updated models make a lot of difference. also rumored r1 sounds really tempting with a 200 something hp engine, lighter weight, lots of updates and more moto gp credentials.

although deal they throw is good, it is worth the wait for the new one ATF. Maybe that is why they are throwing such deals as maybe new model is coming soon?

I am also waiting for the new honda cbr1000rr!

• Like 1

BTW- told ya the Panigale still runs hot even with the new heat-shielding- it's just the nature of that beast of an engine.

The first-gen models must have been excruciating to ride.wink.png

The Panigale has the new exhaust and cylinder heat shields but you'd have to ride it in Alaska for it to run cool!

How's the HP4 RSD?

• Like 1

BTW- told ya the Panigale still runs hot even with the new heat-shielding- it's just the nature of that beast of an engine.

The first-gen models must have been excruciating to ride.wink.png

The Panigale has the new exhaust and cylinder heat shields but you'd have to ride it in Alaska for it to run cool!

How's the HP4 RSD?

I won't have it for at least six weeks to two months- it's awaiting a couple doodads that won't be ready to ship for 4-5 weeks.;)

https://www.facebook.com/breezbigbike?fref=nf

check it out and go down on their fb page a bit.

they have a r1 2013 model less than 6 months still with 1st class insurance for 655 k thb and open for negotiation sure you can get it for 600 k thb.

they do finance too!

honda cbr1000rr is also a good option for 630 k thb but you need to spend around max 50 k to get it derestricted followed by some hassle of course.

Edited by ll2

Just my view - all the R1's have been great bikes ..... but if you're going to invest a large amount of money in a bike then a big part of the reward is the pleasure from owning something really special.

Saving some cash on 0% finance and a deal on an aftermarket pipe are secondary considerations. (If you were looking to buy an old model Fino then these would be major factors).

So how special will be an 'old model' R1 when the new one comes out?

Each of the latest Yamaha bikes (triples and twins) have offered something outstanding in their class and Yamaha are returning to form - so the next R1 will need to be a significant step forward in the superbike class.

I reckon you should wait.

• Like 2

Ok cash price is 799k so no difference from finance and 2yr 24k pm 3yr 17kpm. It's just such a sweet deal and great bike. I would consider the Honda CBR1000RR SP but was told there is no way these would be imported.

I'm too old and fat to be a track star but I love the look of this bike, tried a Panigale but it's crazy hot.

I would not worry about the bleeding edge new R1

I do not know anyone capable of exploiting even the full performance of R1's many years old already wink.png

If your intent is street & this is a good deal for you & floats your boat

go for it. They make a nice quality bike

possibly a seamless gearbox.

Never happen as it has just appeared on their GP bikes less than a year ago

& was in testing at BRNO in Aug 2013

It was not used in racing till Qatar this year 2014 if I remember right

Edited by mania

1917085_190946676470_7223981_n.jpg?oh=47

This is my bike in the USA. It is a 2006 Honda CBR1000RR, which I installed factory repsol fairings on it.

2014-honda-cbr1000rr-sp-19.jpg

This is the current model CBR1000RR (2014)

these are the specs between the 2004-2005, 2006-2007, and the 2012 off of wikipedia.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBR1000RR

Performance Power Output 148.6 hp (111 kW) @ 10,750 rpm[20] 158.8 hp (118 kW) @ 11,500 rpm[20] 178.0 hp (133 kW) @ 12,000 rpm[21] Torque 76.4 lbf·ft (103.6 N·m) @ 8,500 rpm[20] 79.6 lbf·ft (107.9 N·m) @ 8,750 rpm[20] 82.6 lbf·ft (112.0 N·m) @ 8,500 rpm

Ok, my 8 year old bike pretty much looks like the current 2014 bike. Notable differences are that my exhaust is under the seat (which I like better) and the new ones have the exhaust down low.

My new bike is all paid for, and I have added alot of aftermarket stuff to fit my riding.

Now in regards to buying the newest, greatest bike, what's the point? And really what's the point between buying the current bike and waiting for the next generation?

For my cbr, in 8 years the improvement has been a whopping 20hp over the one I have. However, I don't see how that is much of an improvement. SInce 2001, all the Japanese bikes have a rev limiter which limits the speed to 300km/h. So I won't see the additional power on the top speed, and there's no where I can safely run my bike at those kind of speeds anyways.

What about acceleration? Well, even with 158 horsepower, I cannot just rev the engine and drop the clutch. That will result in a massive wheelie and me being thrown from the bike. On the new CBR1000RR, I can't do that either because same result. On all sportbikes you have to finesse the launch to get it going. So how does the extra horsepower benefit me? Probably not at all really. The two bikes are so close in their acceleration times that it is negligible, and the acceleration times are more a product of the rider being skilled in how to bring on the power as opposed to the bike doing the work.

With that said, I see no point in buying a new CBR1000RR, as it is so close to the bike I have, and I am not as skilled of a rider to get better performance out of the newer bike.

Ok, you get a couple more horsepower if you wait. But 99% of us are no where near as skilled to get the extra advantages out of the bike. So for me, it's like why bother? Just buy it so you can enjoy it rather than waiting for the next generation. The next generation will be an improvement for sure, but it's going to be such a small improvement compared to the current bike.

• Like 1

^

He's not looking at the standard CBR1000RR- he wants the new SP limited edition with upgraded suspension, brakes, and a blueprinted engine.

Also, if we're talking about the R1, it looks like it's going to be a revolutionary step forward from the current model, rather than an evolutionary step like with your bike (where you're discounting a huge 20hp increase- this is a massive improvement for a literbike, not a small or incremental one). The extra power benefits you with improved acceleration through the entire rev range, not just off the line or at red-line in 6th- I can't see now that wouldn't interest someone who wants or has a 1000cc sportbike. There's also improved suspension, transmission, and lower weight if you want to compare 2006 to today.

You have an excellent bike, but you said you've added a lot of aftermarket stuff to improve it- obviously it could be better (as pretty much any stock bike can be)- if you wanted to add 20hp, how would you do it? It would be impossible without going into the engine (and it would never be as good of a streetbike as it is now)- the new model gives it to you out of the box.

If money isn't an issue, it's always nice to have the newest/latest, even if you can't utilize every bit of it.

Edited by RubberSideDown
  • Like 1

Submaniac the pic is of a CBR1000RR SP which is a Special (SP). It has finely balanced pistons, Ohlin's Shocks and Brembo brakes. It will only be available in Thailand as a grey market import and is about $3500 more expensive than standard in the US.

Newer bikes can be tuned for substantially more BHP because the main limitation is emission controls. Launch or traction control will handle wheelies and newer bikes also have much improved frames which benefit handling. Any litre bike can go fast in a straight line but it's corners which count.

Most bikes aren't limited to 300Kph but their speedos will top out at 299 or show 000 at 300Kph or above. Even if a bike is limited it's very easy to unlimit it by reprogramming the ECU. A 5min job.

Happy Trails.

I would not worry about the bleeding edge new R1

I do not know anyone capable of exploiting even the full performance of R1's many years old already wink.png

Yes I know I will most probably never be able master the existing R1 but I have decided to wait and see. It's either going to be totally new tech or just a makeover for now. In any case I'll wait. It's just that the finance and extras deal is so appealing, just 17k per month. When something is too good it usually is.

For me it's my hobby and I would like to have the latest and greatest but I know exactly where you are coming from. Otherwise it's diamonds for Mrs. ATF!

• Like 1

New R1 is all over motorcycle magazines and so forth. It's all electronic everything so it'll definitely help us amateur riders cope better with all that power.

Also, it looks way better. Don't buy an R1 until that one comes out

230226d1395266302-article-pic-about-poss

It is like the guy who goes to the bar and chats up the most beautiful girl he has ever seen but he decides he will wait for the one who will put this one to shame. At closing time he leaves alone.

It is like the guy who goes to the bar and chats up the most beautiful girl he has ever seen but he decides he will wait for the one who will put this one to shame. At closing time he leaves alone.

Yep that's me. If I buy a bike I'm going to spend about half of the cost of the bike on mods. Mostly to make it go faster and get a perfect fuel curve and handling so unless it's love at first sight I'm going home to the wife.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Except for two things: The 2015 R1 is coming. And it's better.

And you don't have to chat it up, you just plunk down some cold hard cash and it's yours. Although that usually works with girls too :P

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1