Thai rice warehouses under thorough checks for irregularities

webfact

Rice warehouses under thorough checks for irregularities

rice-warehouse-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Military personnel, police and local government officials conducted simultaneous checks of warehouses in four provinces Thursday in what was the start of the on-the-spot probe into alleged corruption conspiracy involving politicians, local authorities and warehouse operators in the rice pledging scheme.

Warehouse owners were earlier alleged to have swindled the pledged rice kept in their warehouses with reports of rice missing from the stockpiles and substitution of high rice quality with inferior quality.

Inspection teams comprising of officials from various agencies carried out random inspections at four rice warehouses in Ayutthaya, Kamphaeng Phet, Nakhon Ratchasima and Nakhon Si Thammarat provinces.

The ruling National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) ordered check of quality and quantity of rice sold by farmers under the rice-pledging scheme, sponsored by the recent ousted government.

Under the NCPO’s instruction, inspection teams will visit all rice warehouses in the country with deadline to finish within a month.

Inspection of a warehouse in Muang district of Nakhon Si Thammarat province in the South revealed some 200 sacks used to contain rice grains were different from the rest in the warehouse. But no rice was missing from the warehouse.

The inspection team was informed that the warehouse received pledged rice from several mills so it had different sacks of rice. The team members also took samples of rice there for laboratory examination.

Rice inspection in Ayutthaya province also produced nothing unusual and all rice remain in good condition. Authorities will check the remaining 14 rice warehouses in the province within this month.

Checking of rice in Nakhon Ratchasima province’s Chalermprakiat district found that the rice turned yellow since they were pledged in the 2012-2013 crop season. But they were not rotten.

There are 500,000 tons of pledged rice in 47 warehouses that the team will inspect in 12 districts.

Results of the inspections will be reported to the NCPO’s taskforce chaired by M.L. Panadda Diskul, permanent secretary to the Prime Minister’s Office.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/rice-warehouses-thorough-checks-irregularities/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-04

They said nothing about the fourth province where the army had a warehouse short 90% of it's stock. They showed pictures of the opening stacked high with rice. Apon climbing over them they found just empty space.

Some like to forget the inconvenient truth when it suits them.

They said nothing about the fourth province where the army had a warehouse short 90% of it's stock. They showed pictures of the opening stacked high with rice. Apon climbing over them they found just empty space.

Update

It was 91,000 bags in a warehouse in Pathum Thani

PM's Office Permanent Secretary says nationwide rice warehouses inspection found rice missing, rotten; to conclude investigation in 1 month /MCOT

P.M's Office Permanent Secretary says nationwide P.T.P. politicians warehouses inspection found rice and P.T.P. politicians missing and rotten; to conclude investigation in 1 monthwhistling.gif

Sorry, but I do not see a word of a much larger danger: aflatoxine, a toxic, invisable, not to be tasted or seen, but.. increases the chance of liver cancer a LOT.

When grains, especially rice, corn, is stored too wet (humid) a fungus can grow, especially aspergillus flavus ( a green shade over it ). This fungus leaves a... call it: "shit" behind = aflatoxine.

For EU maximum levels of aflatoxins (aflatoxins B1, B2, G1, G2 and M1) are laid down in Commission Regulation (EC) No 1881/2006 as amended by Commission Regulation (EU) No 165/2010: for type B1: a maximum tolerated of 2 ppb ( parts per billion or microgram per kg). For the sum of B1+B2+G1+G2: 4 ppb. Above: only one way: burn it.

In Thailand the tolerated level is 30 ppb, no seperation for the several types. And of course, very well inspected ( yeah.. see above and all other publications about the rice problem: NEVER a word about aflatoxin risk, so.. inspection.... the open hand with THB's donated in it)

In Western EU the consumption per head per year is 1.4 kg rice. In Thailand and other rice consuming nations: 60 kg/head per year.

So, when I add up AND afla tolerance AND annual consumption, the risk for a Thai to get liver cancer for this reason alone is 43*15 = 640 x times as that of an European living in Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, Scandinavia.

Seen the rice program there are very high interests at stake for the former + present Thai government and the top-rich rice people. So, do not worry, nobody will mention the afla risk.

And when in 10-25 years many thousands of additional liver cancer cases show up... who cares now ?

I do not want to touch any Thai rice anymore, even when offered with "MONEY PAID to clear up"

According me, only one solution: burn the entire 17 million tons.

• Like 2

I think when all is said and done there surely will be some individuals prosecuted for fraud. However it remains to be seen whether there is widespread corruption in the scheme by government officials. It will be interesting to see whether the fraud is by individuals at the bottom of the scheme who warehouse and move the rice or whether there is corruption at the higher levels of government. Further, let's wait and see the actual percentage of missing rice. To me the bigger problem is that fact that they are warehousing this stuff and not trying to unload it before it rots. To me that should be a big priority.

Thats been in the press. 9,000 MT missing.

They have 17,000,000 to count.

Have you ever considered what a 1% difference on the processing yield or moisture of paddy to get 17,000,000 MT is worth?

A hell of a lot more than 9,000 MT. The claim is 3,000,000 MT missing. Look at the pictures of the warehouses. All full to the roof with rice. Stacked somewhat neatly, but the odds that they can count the sacks 100% accurately is virtually impossible.

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

13% difference just by miscounting 1 sack on each length. Some of these stacks are gargantuan and irregular.

Good hunting.

How, exactly, does a 1% difference in processing yield create an empty rice bag pile with scaffoldings in the middle?

• Like 1

Have you ever considered what a 1% difference on the processing yield or moisture of paddy to get 17,000,000 MT is worth?

A hell of a lot more than 9,000 MT. The claim is 3,000,000 MT missing. Look at the pictures of the warehouses. All full to the roof with rice. Stacked somewhat neatly, but the odds that they can count the sacks 100% accurately is virtually impossible.

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

13% difference just by miscounting 1 sack on each length. Some of these stacks are gargantuan and irregular.

Good hunting.

I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. It was easy to calculate the number of bags in the few rows that they climbed over to find nothing behind where there records showed there should have been another 91,000 bags. Got nothing to do with weight.

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

Good hunting.

How, exactly, does a 1% difference in processing yield create an empty rice bag pile with scaffoldings in the middle?

See post number 17 same same answer.wai.gif

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

Good hunting.

That's a con. Its 9,000 Mt. It is absolutely piffling.

Even if they find there is no rice missing. Then they have to evaluate if the processing yields are correct. They can lose 9000 Mt of rice on paper with the swish of a pen.

And finally, as people appear to believe, Yingluck in some way has obviously profited from someone nicking 9000 Mt of rice.

Next story will be, the 9000 Mt probably got rain damaged and disposed of 6 months ago but the paperwork is wrong.

I think when all is said and done there surely will be some individuals prosecuted for fraud. However it remains to be seen whether there is widespread corruption in the scheme by government officials. It will be interesting to see whether the fraud is by individuals at the bottom of the scheme who warehouse and move the rice or whether there is corruption at the higher levels of government. Further, let's wait and see the actual percentage of missing rice. To me the bigger problem is that fact that they are warehousing this stuff and not trying to unload it before it rots. To me that should be a big priority.

I have no knowledge of farming. Can not the rice be used as food for some of the livestock raised here in Thailand? Pigs, chickens cows and what not.

Any way you look at it there is going top be a loss so why not try to get some use out of it. Seems to me that if they don't sell it today no one will want it when the new crop comes in. So to keep it is an additional loss in storage fees.

If I am wrong please correct me as I say I am not a farmer but willing to learn a little. I already know that paying storage on an unsalable item is a waste of money.wai.gif

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

Good hunting.

I have absolutely no idea of what you are talking about. It was easy to calculate the number of bags in the few rows that they climbed over to find nothing behind where there records showed there should have been another 91,000 bags. Got nothing to do with weight.

I am talking about the fact that the main search had now begun nationwide and the fact that they will barely be able to make an accurate count anyway.

90000 sacks. Hmmmm. About the volume of an average family house in the west. That's probably in a pile out the back. Don't forget this massive supposed fraud brought down a whole govt.

They need to find 90,000,000 sacks missing.

Edited by Thai at Heart

"Checking of rice in Nakhon Ratchasima province’s Chalermprakiat district found that the rice turned yellow..."

Some molds that produce Aflatoxins can be yellow, greenish yellow. green. Boiling doesn't kill these toxins.
I wouldn't eat rice from Thailand, no way. Food safety is a big issue for me when in Thailand.
Some say that one of the good things about Thailand is the food. Not for me. I'd rather eat Thai food in a Thai restaurant in the West.

"Checking of rice in Nakhon Ratchasima provinces Chalermprakiat district found that the rice turned yellow..."

Some molds that produce Aflatoxins can be yellow, greenish yellow. green. Boiling doesn't kill these toxins.

I wouldn't eat rice from Thailand, no way. Food safety is a big issue for me when in Thailand.

Some say that one of the good things about Thailand is the food. Not for me. I'd rather eat Thai food in a Thai restaurant in the West.

It will be a miracle of nature if there isn't 15% mouldy and off quality product.

Webfact has stated in the OP, that there are 500,000 Tons of pledged rice in 47 warehouses in 12 Districts that are to be checked by the Authorities.

Where is the other 17,500,000 tons ( Est ) of rice being stored, and is that to be checked also, or has it just been forgotten about ?

It is a well published fact that the Thai Authorities are holding this massive amount of rice from the pledgeing scheme in storage.

Hhmmmm

Has anyone ever considered the imposition of a Saudi type system, where the hands are amputated, when convicted of the crime of theft? It might work. It certainly might change the attitude of those who feel they are free to steal money from the state, and individuals. When missing ones hands, it may help to prevent further crimes. Just food for thought. I am not fond of the Saudis, on any level. But, you sort of have to admire the audacity a crazy law like that takes to implement.

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

Good hunting.

I am talking about the fact that the main search had now begun nationwide and the fact that they will barely be able to make an accurate count anyway.

90000 sacks. Hmmmm. About the volume of an average family house in the west. That's probably in a pile out the back. Don't forget this massive supposed fraud brought down a whole govt.

So in your opinion just a little bit missing, spoiled, untraceable etc isn't a "real" crime and everybody concerned should just get a gentle slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

It is fraud, theft, mis appropriation and probably several other things as well but it doesn't matter because it was the PTP who started it and they can do no wrong. IMPO the only people who should walk free are the labourers who did all the grunt work. Anybody with the lowest part of the responsibility should be given 2 years jail and for each layer of management up from there the sentence should be doubled and the fine increased by the square value. Discounts to be given for information and conviction all the way to the top.

Edited for bad spelling. Why is it that I can read the text, press submit and then find the errors, and then have to edit the text again?

Edited by billd766
  • Like 1

40*40*40= 64000

41*41*41 = 68,921

Good hunting.

So in your opinion just a little bit missing, spoiled, untraceable etc isn't a "real" crime and everybody concerned should just get a gentle slap on the wrist and told not to do it again?

It is fraud, theft, mis appropriation and probably several other things as well but it doesn't matter because it was the PTP who started it and they can do no wrong. IMPO the only people who should walk free are the labourers who did all the grunt work. Anybody with the lowest part of the responsibility should be given 2 years jail and for each layer of management up from there the sentence should be doubled and the fine increased by the square value. Discounts to be given for information and conviction all the way to the top.

Edited for bad spelling. Why is it that I can read the text, press submit and then find the errors, and then have to edit the text again?

Its not good, but it is a petty petty thing. Call the cops. Have a coup??????

There is virtually no way to stop the stuff getting damaged 100%, keep bugs out of it 100%, have handling losses 100%.

I stored about 10,000tons of an export product. It deteriorates in the heat, it gets bugs so it needs constant fumigation, it needs an army of people to constantly clean around it. Roofs leak and stuff gets damaged. Pick it up, aerate it, put it back. Note all these stacks in rice are virtually all done by hand. Want to move some stuff, hire 100 labourers.no forklifts.

After 4 years the storage is nearly as much as the value of the product. And yes, we had some outside warehouses with a couple of hundred tonnes of product in it.

One long holiday weekend someone nicked it. What to do? Call the insurance company.

Everyone is hear saying its justified to take down a govt because of 90mt of missing product. If that was the case, there wouldn't be a single European politician in his seat.

Agribusiness is not a 1kg in 1kg out business. These politicians are screaming "it went mouldy, corruption".

100% inevitably some of it will be mouldy. In fact a lot of it will be mouldy. What to do? Sue the weather?

Edited by Thai at Heart