An interesting look at Foreign Students at Thai Universities

This is a very interesting read:

A Number Analysis of International Higher Education in Thailand

By Mark Hefner

Foreign Students in Thai Higher Education Institutions

Each year since 2002, the Office of the Higher Education Commission (www.inter.mua.go.th) publishes a study of the number of foreign students studying in Thai education institutions. The results of the study come from public and private higher education institutions in Thailand. The number of foreign students was classified by age, country, level of education, field of study, and source of funding. The data in this report is taken from this study. This year’s study was released on 26 June, 2014.

International Higher Education Situation in Thailand

In 2012, Thailand had 16,999 international students studying in Thai higher education institutions. This is 3,310 less students than it had in 2011. Assumption University (AU) led the losses by losing over 1,500 international students. With tuition costing around 125,000 baht for per year at AU for each student, losses of 1,500 students equates to 187.5 million baht per year for Assumption University. Machaulalongkornrajavidyalaya University had 1,276 international students in 2011 but only had 7 students in 2012. Ramkamhaeng University also had significant losses(596 less students).

Significant country decreases include China (1479 less students), Laos (511 less students), both Vietnam and Cambodia (310 less students), and Myanmar (283 less students).

See the entire document: The Higher Education Situation in Thailand in 2012(1).docx

• Like 1

When you look at university cost in many places, then look at the international web sites that rate schools worldwide you would think Thai schools would pick up students.

Edited by rotary

Not true of all Thai universities. My filipina girl friend is attending Burapa University's International College, where the freshman class numbers 200 and they're building a 1,000 room dormitory to accommodate the increasing number of students. Cost is about the same as Assumption University. They offer three 4-year degrees: BA in Fine Arts, BA and BBA in business. All classes are taught by native English speakers, students must take(and pass) a 2-month intensive English course BEFORE attending classes, you need a 2.75 GPA to be eligible to enter plus a personal interview with the Dean and they graduate 80% of their students. Students also have a chance to study abroad in their junior year and they receive on-the-job training at an institution matching their major(e.g. if their major is hotel and tourist management, they can train at one of the many Hotel Centaras(a 5-star hotel chain). Most of us have never heard of Burapa, because it's not in Bangkok, but they educate Thais(in the main university) in a slew of undergraduate programs, including medicine and law. Location? in Bang Sen, which is a town sandwiched between Siracha and Chonburi.

A Thai degree much like many other countries in Asia is not worth the paper it is written on outside of the respective country. And probably not much more in the respective country. Employers (top companies) only recognise degrees obtained in decent universities which are located in the US / Europe etc or Singapore / HK / japan. Not in countries like Indonesia where my wife's best friend passed her final degree papers by buying all her professors mont blonk pens

3 girls I know went to assumption, 1 Chinese and 2 thai Chinese. The Chinese girl 4 years later still works in the gift shop in a well known hotel chain. The thai Chinese one (my ex) managed to get an internship in the US with super low salary (cost her dad an absolute fortune in agency fees to get her there) and was not kept on, but managed to marry a relatively wealthy American man and now is a lady of leisure. The other thai Chinese (her sister) graduated in something, but I don't know how as she is literally as thick as 2 planks. Probably the most stupid person I've ever met

That made me chuckle lol !!!cheesy.gif

• Like 1

why study here? your degree is not worth the paper it is printed on ... same value as a kaosan road paper..

and that is why "educated" thai people are really cleaners & waitresses in the west

• Like 1

I have a couple of perspectives some might not have considered.

The original article mentions a publication as the source of the data. That source says almost 96% of the international students come from countries that are not in the west. Therefore, most international students studying in Thailand are Asian.

Also, with many top western companies actually all over Southeast Asia and the rest of Asia, there is a good bet their source of labor also is Asian. With the Free Trade Area created by ASEAN, students from ASEAN countries don't necessarily have to graduate from any particular ASEAN country to be hired in the other ASEAN countries by these top western companies.

One more interesting note worth pointing out, 2 of the graduates from the International Business Management bachelor's degree program at Payap University just got accepted to some very nice universities in the west. This makes me feel like Thai degrees are recognized and respected as legitimate degrees just as much as any school in the United States. One of the girls is going to Harvard University and the other girl is going to the London School of Economics.

Also, many of the western students are working full time in their country after graduating from Payap. I'm sure this is true for Assumption which has more than 2,600 international students studying along side 16,000 Thai students in these same international programs.

There are many stereotypes about Thai universities and many of them are justified; however, many of the international programs are adopting western standards and those stereotypes don't apply anymore to these schools.

The recognition of degrees from Thai universities is really a matter of accreditation. The educational standards may or may not be up to international standards but without accreditation by an internationally respected agency the degrees are not going to be recognized as a valid measure of education. There are very few universities in Thailand (perhaps only one) that have international accreditation. Thai hospitals also can obtain international accreditation and some have.

• Like 1

A Thai degree much like many other countries in Asia is not worth the paper it is written on outside of the respective country. And probably not much more in the respective country. Employers (top companies) only recognise degrees obtained in decent universities which are located in the US / Europe etc or Singapore / HK / japan. Not in countries like Indonesia where my wife's best friend passed her final degree papers by buying all her professors mont blonk pens

3 girls I know went to assumption, 1 Chinese and 2 thai Chinese. The Chinese girl 4 years later still works in the gift shop in a well known hotel chain. The thai Chinese one (my ex) managed to get an internship in the US with super low salary (cost her dad an absolute fortune in agency fees to get her there) and was not kept on, but managed to marry a relatively wealthy American man and now is a lady of leisure. The other thai Chinese (her sister) graduated in something, but I don't know how as she is literally as thick as 2 planks. Probably the most stupid person I've ever met

Some Thai universities get respect. According to some survey mentioned a few months ago, Chula is recognized as good, in top 300 worldwide I think. I sent my exwife to Chula grad school. They actually did real coursework with high standards. She now works for a top international company (hence, she didn't need me anymore!). She is very smart cookie. Just had no heart. BTW, the pens are Montblanc, unless that sister got some Chinese wannabe copy (mont blonk).

• Like 1

About accreditation, for a degree in any country to be valid, it must be approved by the government body that regulates education in the country where the institution of higher education is located. For Thailand, the Ministry of Education accredits all degree producing programs.

Harvard University recognized a degree from Payap University as meeting the prerequisite of having a bachelor's degree to study for a master's program. The London School of Economics also accepted a Payap degree. Two different countries and two very well respected institutions of higher education have accepted a bachelor's degree from a small university in northern Thailand.

If that's not enough, there are 30 universities in Thailand that are approved by the US Department of Veterans Affairs. The US government has approved the use of the GI Bill (earned by US military veterans) in institutions located outside the United States here in Thailand.

So in reality, it's not about accreditation at all. It's not an issue because most universities in Thailand are accredited in one way or another that is internationally accepted around the world by the most respected international institutions. It is, however, about image. Institutions of Higher Education in Thailand have an image problem that needs to be addressed along side the educational improvements many Thai universities have already started on. There is still plenty of room for improvement but at least the improvements have started.

• Like 1

Foreign student goes back to home country with degree from Thai university and isn't qualified to flip burgers at the golden arches.

With few possible exceptions, Thai university degrees are only good for lighting the candles at the temple on the way out of the country.

Of course by noting "with few possible exceptions" (not to mention admiring your own prowness in classic logic) the same could be said for degrees from any US or UK university. My daughter recently graduated from a Thai university and had no problem being offered jobs back in the US related to her field of study. And some of her peers have gone on to the London School of Economics and Harvard Grauate School. But I do understand the psychological needs of the neo-sahib class to constantly degrade Thais and Thai institutions to justify their own existence.

Is your daughter now working in the US? I understand your psychological need to vindicate the piles of money you wasted on a sub-standard education.

Regarding the GI bill, those can be spent for Yoga classes at a community center in Detroit. That wouldn't qualify you as a brain surgeon.

Edited by BudRight

Thanks god I decided to get my kids out when I did.

My nephew apparently is studying for his masters in Law at CU with a dream to be a judge through connection.

He's a nice kid and all, but he was offered 14k per month as an intern lawyer at CP after graduating. And this guy will be a judge one day......scary.

Foreign student goes back to home country with degree from Thai university and isn't qualified to flip burgers at the golden arches.

With few possible exceptions, Thai university degrees are only good for lighting the candles at the temple on the way out of the country.

Of course by noting "with few possible exceptions" (not to mention admiring your own prowness in classic logic) the same could be said for degrees from any US or UK university. My daughter recently graduated from a Thai university and had no problem being offered jobs back in the US related to her field of study. And some of her peers have gone on to the London School of Economics and Harvard Grauate School. But I do understand the psychological needs of the neo-sahib class to constantly degrade Thais and Thai institutions to justify their own existence.

You don't understand undergraduate and graduate degrees do you.

Is your daughter now working in the US? I understand your psychological need to vindicate the piles of money you wasted on a sub-standard education.

Regarding the GI bill, those can be spent for Yoga classes at a community center in Detroit. That wouldn't qualify you as a brain surgeon.

Why thank you very much for your interest and yes, my daughter is now working for a large corporation in the US. I found her four-year degree from the Thai college to be very affordable, about the same cost as a two-year AA degree at an American community college. I do not feel the education was sub-standard. And she now has close friends on every continent and in just about every major country. Of course like every university there are stronger and weaker faculty members. She found a good mentor who is now working with her to get her into a graduate program based in the Netherlands. But I daresday her degree does not qualify her as a brain surgeon although I must confess I don't quite understand your comment apart from my original comment having purhaps struck a raw nerve.

Oh my, yet another member of ThaiVisa who has taken umbrage from my comment. But pray tell how you could possibly come to the conclusion that I do not understand the differences in the two degree levels when I note that her peers have gone on to graduate schools.

Oh my, yet another member of ThaiVisa who has taken umbrage from my comment. But pray tell how you could possibly come to the conclusion that I do not understand the differences in the two degree levels when I note that her peers have gone on to graduate schools.

Well, you did mix Greek and Urdu roots in your neologism.

Did the AU really loose 1500 students, or is that just an assumption?

Machaulalongkornrajavidyalaya University had 1,276 international students in 2011 but only had 7 students in 2012
I guess nobody could get the name correct.
  • Like 1

Is it any wonder that the university grads are so sadly lacking, one only needs to look at the quality of the grade & high school education programs!!!!!

whistling.gif

I think the difference between an international program and a Thai program is international university teachers fail their students if they don't pass their classes. The ones that do finish and have decent GPA's are quite capable graduates.

• Like 2

So does anyone have an insights as to whether the Thai government wants to remedy this?

I'm sure the more ambitious and forward thinking Thai students place great value in international exposure, see the situation as a serious problem, and would love to have it fixed.

I'm sure the Thai government takes the opposite view on all of the above.

So does anyone have an insights as to whether the Thai government wants to remedy this?

I'm sure the more ambitious and forward thinking Thai students place great value in international exposure, see the situation as a serious problem, and would love to have it fixed.

I'm sure the Thai government takes the opposite view on all of the above.

I agree with you Bruce as well as 150,000 ambitious and forward thinking Thai students as the report pointed out. They too are studying in the same international programs as the 16,000+ international students.