ponder this:Reserves up slightly to $168bn

Please do rekey some of your original posting. I don't understand your comment as written. I'm a long time Thailand money guy, and Thailand's foreign exchange reserves are very easy to understand. Since Thailand is the only potential major bidder on it's own currency, by not making bids it keeps the Thai Baht below where it would otherwise be. Historically the Thai Baht would be at about 20 Baht per US dollar, but like most currencies it should be in the mid teens against the dollar in the current context, much the same as for example the Euro which went from a low of 90 cents against the dollar but is now worth 1.359 today. So for many years the BOT has been plowing the deposits of Thai exporters that are in US dollars, and buys US Treasury debt to avoid bidding on the Baht. But at some point it got to a level that has all kinds of issues with it, in many different ways, so we started to recover some of the lost purchasing power of the post 1997 crisis Baht. If you are a long stay expat, you better be ready for the Baht to visit the low teens. Not kidding you at all. When the talking heads yak about "AEC 2015" and how Thai folks are going to be much better off, they are talking about the currency adjusting further which, when your money goes up in value you become wealthier.

Edited by maewang99

I'm a long time Thailand money guy, and Thailand's foreign exchange reserves are very easy to understand.

Since Thailand is the only potential major bidder on it's own currency, by not making bids it keeps the Thai Baht below where it would otherwise be.

looks like you are a long time guy missing a topic. what has the amount of Thailand's forex reserves to do with any exchange rate vs. THB? ohmy.png