Buy a Laptop in Samui : advice & warranty

Hello,

I am going to buy a laptop tomorrow.

I will try to find the one that suits me... not an easy task... i7 is the best here, right?

Anyway

Is there one of the shops that offers a good warranty? I remember for Tesco I had to contact and send myself the computer to Bangkok... I never did.

I was wondering for BigC, Banana IT, JCB Computer, Powerbuy, ...?

Many thanks for sharing your experience

The warranty of laptops is that you usually can go to the service centers of that particular brand, such as Acer, Lenovo, etc etc.

So, you can buy it from any shops here in Samui, but you won't get it serviced, unless you go to one of their service centers, which for most brands will only be in Bangkok. Even if that particular brand may have service center here on Samui, such as Samsung, they'll usually send it to Bangkok anyway.

I recommend you buy from Banana IT or JIB because for small issues with the laptop, they should be able to help you with their own technical support. They may also be able to help you ship it to service center in Bangkok, but this may depend on the laptop brand.

• Like 2

Many thanks. Clearer like that...

Any brand you advise/disadvise? I saw some HP, Lenovo, Asus, Acer (Acer I don t like too much)

I look for good one even if not the best...

If possible i7 (is it among the top here?) and 8Gb, but seems most comes with 4Gb. Asked in Powerbuy, they don't know if I can add...! I guess Banana and JIB can answer to this and might add the Ram directly?

Thanks....

My experience from Banana IT after buying a Compaq laptop was shocking. The laptop kept going into sleep mode even when I was typing. Literally after a year they replaced it and I elected to pick an Acer which has been great. On the day they conceededthey couldnt fix it and I got thr Acer, another guy camen with exactly the same model and problem, I wished him luck.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Many thanks. Clearer like that...
Any brand you advise/disadvise? I saw some HP, Lenovo, Asus, Acer (Acer I don t like too much)
I look for good one even if not the best...
If possible i7 (is it among the top here?) and 8Gb, but seems most comes with 4Gb. Asked in Powerbuy, they don't know if I can add...! I guess Banana and JIB can answer to this and might add the Ram directly?
Thanks....

Acer is actually one of the better brands in laptops.

especially in the higher end models

Edited by ikbenhet

Is it not possible to buy direct from Apple or another manufacturer in Bangkok and get a proper guarantee?

I wouldn't trust anyone here to change a battery let alone meddle with my laptop.

I helped look for a laptop with someone a few weeks ago, pinned down what they wanted in a couple of shops displaying various models.... then after choosing they checked the store room and come back saying that they "no hab"rolleyes.giffacepalm.gif ... so be prepared for that and keep hunting! This person ended up having to go to Tesco Lamai to find the model wanted.

I7 would be best, although it depends on what you want to do.... size of Ram harddrive, etc also needs to be considered for your needs. Remember that an official Windoze disc is not included... so you need to add another 6000 baht or so, for genuine disc....

That makes a Mac far more attractive thumbsup.gif But best to buy from the Apple Thai store, it would be here within a week.... unless Ibeats, BananaIT or Powerbuy have the model you want in stock. (usualy they don't)....

For warranty repair none of the local stores do this, so means sending to BKK. Whether Acer Asus or Mac etc...

For non warranty repairs Mnet near Sirenson seems to have a good reputation.

If you look at the computer forum here on TV a few people are suggesting Linex as a Free operating system..... Never used so cannot comment!

• Like 1

What level of computer knowledge do you have?

level 1: Buy Apple , but be prepared to pay 50% extra for everything.

level 2-3: Any cheap laptop will suit you, pay 6000 baht extra for original Windows 8

level 4-6: Buy an average prized laptop and pay 500 baht to someone to install a pirate version of Windows 7 on it.

level 7-9: Buy an fully loaded machine, download and install your own copy of whatever you like.

level nerd: Buy part on Aliexpress, build your own machine, program your own operating system, forever alone.

Hi

Many thanks for the various answers.

I'll go for i7 (as it it supposed to be the best) but I'd like the default 4GB ram to be replaced by 8GB... I guess it is possible...

About Mac and Windows, OS license... :

I already have a Mac (and glad to pay 50% more for this) but in this case I need a PC. About Windows license, I already own it and I have some experience, will install it myself, easy. So I think I am level 5-6 :)

I try to check if some brands are better, seems Asus are OK. I didn't get confirmation for Acer, HP, Lenovo...

I try to check if some brands are better, seems Asus are OK. I didn't get confirmation for Acer, HP, Lenovo...

All the components comes from the same factory in China.

The DVD player in my laptop fits in a an Apple airbook but costs 50% more if you want it for a Mac. ;)

Hi

Many thanks for the various answers.

I'll go for i7 (as it it supposed to be the best) but I'd like the default 4GB ram to be replaced by 8GB... I guess it is possible...

Really easy to do yourself if they won't do it for you, except on a newer Macbook Pro unfortunately..

The DVD player in my laptop fits in a an Apple airbook but costs 50% more if you want it for a Mac. wink.png

why the Mac bashing PS? ..... whistling.gif ....compare more closely and it's not 50% more! Perhaps 10% but much better quality product tongue.png

• Like 1

Bought it today.

Indeed they did not want to open it to add the RAM...

I insisted and they told to come back later which I did.

Happy they did it because they didn't know how many RAM slots inside, and first RAM card they added was faulty/not compatible.

Anyway they did it very quick, happy.

Mac vs PC :

I think overall Mac is easier/more design/lighter and yes more expensive. But the price is not too much a problem for me, if everyday I have a laptop I like.

But yes PC allows much more tuning, possibilities if you are a advanced user / a bit geek...

Many thanks for your help.

I never understand why people go on about having to buy a new OS. If you have an existing OS license such and Win 7 then transfer the license to the new machine. Banana IT for example will install an evaluation copy (valid for 30 days) of your existing OS onto you new laptop for 500 Baht so you just need to validate it with the key on the sticker on your old laptop followed (maybe) by a phone call to an automated system in Singapore.

• Like 1

Purely for service buy a Dell. You'll get a tech coming to your door for a hardware problem, but you will have to go through a phone call explaining what's wrong first, they speak good english but always tell them that your a novice at PC's so they don't get you to do too many phone instructed tests...

• Like 1

The DVD player in my laptop fits in a an Apple airbook but costs 50% more if you want it for a Mac. wink.png

why the Mac bashing PS? ..... whistling.gif ....compare more closely and it's not 50% more! Perhaps 10% but much better quality product tongue.png

Mac is light years better quality. Just a shame that Ibeat provides the customary lousy service you get here.

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Sony Vaio, i have 2 one with windows 7 and one with windows 8.1, I still prefer the windows 7.

Service wise within warranty they collect and deliver back via courier at their expense. I bought both mt Vaios in the UK, once bought an Acer at Pantip, never again way overpriced and not legit windows installed. And they are cheaper in the UK anyway with a\worldwide warranty.

Happy they did it because they didn't know how many RAM slots inside, and first RAM card they added was faulty/not compatible.

Anyway they did it very quick, happy.

I never understand why people go on about having to buy a new OS.

OK, Gonna go little bit techie here, sorry.

Windows 7 comes both with a 32-bit and 64-bit option.

32-bit operating system and software can only utilizes 4 GB RAM.

64-bit systems can utilize up to 193 GB RAM.

So unless you install a 64-bit system you wasted your money.

I had a few Vaio, I liked the design, not the price, but each time after a few months, 1 year, it had a problem, each time.

Not saying it is bad quality but maybe I was unlucky. Even on a 3000usd one, big problem with the fan if I remember well. Customer service was not really helpful.

So even if good no way to buy again from them, too disappointed.

Yes, installed win7 64 bits for the 8Gb ram :)

• Like 1

I never understand why people go on about having to buy a new OS. If you have an existing OS license such and Win 7 then transfer the license to the new machine. Banana IT for example will install an evaluation copy (valid for 30 days) of your existing OS onto you new laptop for 500 Baht so you just need to validate it with the key on the sticker on your old laptop followed (maybe) by a phone call to an automated system in Singapore.

In case you got the OS directly with the computer from the manufacturer it has an OEM licence. You cannot transfer that to another system. If you purchase an OS separately you can opt to purchase a retail licensed version. That one can be transferred to another system.

In case you got the OS directly with the computer from the manufacturer it has an OEM licence. You cannot transfer that to another system. If you purchase an OS separately you can opt to purchase a retail licensed version. That one can be transferred to another system.

Legally that is untrue as you are buying code which is subject to copyright. It is marketed as a licence but it is not, and cannot be, directly linked to hardware. Your power supply breaks down so you buy a third party manufactured PSU.. Does that mean the software is invalid? Your motherboard spits the dummy so you buy a third party manufactured one to replace it.. Does that mean the software is invalid? It's unworkable since you could claim OEM license after replacing every component but still use the OEM mouse. One set of code on one computer is all that matters.

Legally that is untrue as you are buying code which is subject to copyright. It is marketed as a licence but it is not, and cannot be, directly linked to hardware. Your power supply breaks down so you buy a third party manufactured PSU.. Does that mean the software is invalid? Your motherboard spits the dummy so you buy a third party manufactured one to replace it.. Does that mean the software is invalid? It's unworkable since you could claim OEM license after replacing every component but still use the OEM mouse. One set of code on one computer is all that matters.

I cannot agree with your initial comment here notmyself - sorry.

Having worked in the software business from the late '60s right up to year 2000 - in my experience the software is directly related to hardware - though obviously, most of my experience was not on PC's. (They did not exist in the dark ages.)

Over the years, I have had to replace quite a number of PC's, and I have never managed to migrate a piece of copyright software to the new PC legally. I have always ended up buying a new piece of software.

I was interested in Gulfsailor's comment re retail licenced software. Never heard of that one. (And dammm - I have just bought a new PC and yet another new copy of windows. I wish that I had known this one a week or three back.)

Not sure if this has been answered but I saw earlier you were questioning if it is possible to upgrade from 4GB to 8GB RAM. This used to be very straightforward but when I asked in JCB they told me it is not possible on the newest s with the latest kind of RAM. I do not believe that is totally correct as on the Websites for some vendors they offer the option for increasing RAM even on the latest models.

Also be very cautious about getting them to install an OS for you. With Banana IT I took in my legal version of Windows 7 which I wanted them to install and explained in Thai that I also wanted them to install the drivers for the graphics card etc from the laptop vendor site. All this was explained in Thai and I gave them the links. When I picked up the laptop they had ignored everything and just installed from their standard installer DVD. This meant I had an illegal version mostly in English but some in Thai with. None of the proper drivers I wanted were loaded. There was also a load of other software from their DVD which I did not want. Instead of saving myself half a day I ended up spending more than a full day trying to sort out the mess they had left.

JIB told me they will now not install an OS presumably because they have had similar issues.

• Like 1

Have to agree, if you change the mother board, you cannot that I found, re use the windows Disc.... here in Thailand, I had a couple of Thai guys (from shops) try to phone MS to do this.... no can do! I have three useless windoze discs bah.gifw00t.gif I

Not wanting to get this too far off topic... facepalm.gif The guy who runs Mnet, (Boyd) was the manager at BananaIT and then Ibeats.... (both owned by the same company BTW sevencom.com or something like that.... ) I guess he saw an opportunity to set up a repair centre for not just Macs but also PC's and although not an "official dealer", he can get hold of official parts... from BKK or where ever they come from.

For warranty service on Macs look here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/722640-apple-mac-warranty-centres-in-thailand-official-places/

A pain, I know.... but let's be honest not every area in western countries has official dealers in every area.... wink.png

Just a couple of other comments on some things said above .....Dell has a home service on Samui? I would be surprised at that ....whistling.gif

To PoorSucker..... 25 years ago you used a Mac.... things have changed.... baby! whistling.gif tongue.pngbiggrin.png