My top ten .....plus bucket list

bkkbarnstormer

Having just played at my 50th golf course in Thailand and with more than 150 rounds completed, I thought I would share my personal list of favourites and to dos.

I'm sure you won't all agree but hope it might help someone get an enjoyable round in, and appreciate any help in prioritizing my bucket list.

My criteria is simply my own enjoyment - which in no particular order is a combination of layout, condition, scenic beauty, location, difficulty, lack of crowds and value for money.

There is a real mix of the top end expensive courses as well as some of the lesser known hidden gems

Five Stars (limited to ten)
Black Mountain - condition, layout, top international standard
Blue Sapphire (A/B) - my favourite layout/scenery, challenging,value for money. Watch out for Korean packages in Jan-Feb and avoid C/D unless you like water and target golf.
Chiang Mai Highlands - condition, scenery, layout
Dragon Hills - one of the best layouts, value for money, quiet but avoid the Korean packages in Jan-Feb
Grand Prix Club - condition, layout, quiet
Lamlukka (C/D) - most beautiful, condition, scenery. Afternoons can be quiet
Mountain Creek - layout, difficulty, target golf
Royal Ratchaburi - scenery. Quiet on weekdays.
Royal Hills - scenery, layout, value for money, quiet.
One space left for bucket list!

Four stars - honourable mentions
- Banyan, Khao Kheow, Laem Chabang, Rajpreuk, Santiburi Chiang Rai, Siam Plantation

Still plenty to try. My bucket list in no particular order:
- Alpine
- Amata Springs
- Kirimaya
- Krung Kavee
- Mission Hills Khao Yai
- Navatanee
- Panya Indra
- Pinehurst
- Rancho Charnvee
- Royal Gems Dream Arena
- Thai Country Club
- Santiburi Samui
- Siam Waterside.
- Thai Country Club
- Toscana

Don't know when you last played Blue Sapphire, but we did 3-4 months ago .  dry, in bad condition ... will never ever go there again. Some 8 years ago now we were members there.

Grand Prix ... I agree, a really good course. Have played it a few times now, last time about 4 months ago ... wish I could,afford membership there.

Rancho Charnvee ... Another wonderful course, probably two years since last played it ... again ...wish I could,afford membership there.

You should add Sri Nakarin Dam ... an EGAT course in Kanchanaburi ... We really like it, and very cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

OP curious you have Siam Plantation down as a 4 star and want to play Waterside but no mention of Siam Old Course?

Played it and was wondering about membership but was disappointed. didn't think it was anything special especially considering price. In fact, enjoyed it more whilst spectating for LPGA rather than playing.

Don't know when you last played Blue Sapphire, but we did 3-4 months ago .  dry, in bad condition ... will never ever go there again. Some 8 years ago now we were members there.

Grand Prix ... I agree, a really good course. Have played it a few times now, last time about 4 months ago ... wish I could,afford membership there.

Rancho Charnvee ... Another wonderful course, probably two years since last played it ... again ...wish I could,afford membership there.

You should add Sri Nakarin Dam ... an EGAT course in Kanchanaburi ... We really like it, and very cheap.

Will try Sri Nakarin next time. Blue Sapphire has never been in as good condition as the others you mention but I love the layout. Not played it in 12 months but have played several rounds there in the past 3-4 years

Played Blue Sapphire and Grand Prix in past two days.
Grand Prix remains in good condition and is an excellent course
Blue Sapphire remains the most captivating course in Thailand for me.
- beautiful scenery including lakes and hills. Every hole isolated from the others
- each of the par 3s is an elevatedtee over water to the green
- 4 of the drives need something other than driver. Several over ravines or water.
- many doglegs and undulations. Other than par 3s only 3-4 other holes allow you see the flag from the tee
- Greens were hard and lightly sanded with some good undulations and a little slower than Grand Prix

It is a little rough round the edges but I am a big fan. And at half price of Grand Prix it is outstanding value

- beautiful scenery including lakes and hills. Every hole isolated from the others
- 4 of the drives need something other than driver. Several over ravines or water.
- many doglegs and undulations. Other than par 3s only 3-4 other holes allow you see the flag from the tee
- Greens were hard and lightly sanded with some good undulations and a little slower than Grand Prix

It is a little rough round the edges but I am a big fan. And at half price of Grand Prix it is outstanding value

Wow, how can you even compare the two. Grand Prix is a class course, up with the best.  Blue Sapphire ... well! ... it must have been rock hard there and the greens! We are off to play Nichigo and Sri Nakarin Dam Monday and Tuesday. Hope it will not be too hot or too wet! Forgot the holiday when we planned it ... hope it's not too busy either! 

Wow, how can you even compare the two. Grand Prix is a class course, up with the best.  Blue Sapphire ... well! ... it must have been rock hard there and the greens! We are off to play Nichigo and Sri Nakarin Dam Monday and Tuesday. Hope it will not be too hot or too wet! Forgot the holiday when we planned it ... hope it's not too busy either! 
. No rain for past 4-5 days just grey skies. Played Nichigo once before. Ok but wouldn't go back. Never played Mida also nearby

Think we'll just have to disagree on GP and BS (A/B not C/D). Agree that GP is kept to a 5 star standard and BS is not...but BS is a great layout and the greens are much better than several courses I have played in Thailand provided they haven't been recently sanded. Perhaps a little better now outside the dry season?

In the end I didn't play Nichigo, but my wife did and she said that it was good. Next day we went to Sri Nakarin Dam ... prices wow.  Green Fee Non-Thai Guest 400Baht. Thai 300Baht. Thai over 60 years old 150 Baht. My wife got me in at that price, said I had a Yellow Book AND THEN she told 'just a little' porker and also paid 150 Baht!.

Just love the course. We did take a friend who I don't think has never shot less than 100 and he struggled somewhat on a few holes, but still enjoyed it.    

Not to be missed.  At the present time Kanchanaburi is amazingly cool and there was also a lovely breeze blowing over the course.  Eat at the EGAT restaurant.

O, and another course you should add is Rajjaprabha Dam. We will play it again in in the next few weeks ... fantastic course and wonderful views, especially in the early morning.